Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    A warrior using the equivalent of wedges for heels for combat?!? Still quite a bit of her uncovered! And this is spot on?
    Basically, yup.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Phil wrote Diana using the word "sexy" about a man. So clearly everything you just said is crazy talk.
    Pics or didn't happen lol

I didn't read jimenez run yet...not really much interested in read it

BANNED

Phil is right. Ever since Dan Didio took over, DC has made a concerted effort to de-gayify (yes, I made up that word) Wonder Woman and it's to her detriment. They've tried to knock off all her glitter and glamor and remove her political aspects so that she's no longer controversial. She's basically a straight Xena now and the Gal Gadot costume proves it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post

I didn't read jimenez run yet...not really much interested in read it
    You probably wouldn't like it. It's by far the gayest version of Wonder Woman and I mean that in a good way. It was a fantastical soap opera, with more costume changes than a Cher concert at Caesar's Palace. I enjoyed it immensely.

Paraphrasing Ms. Finch from her interview, instead of a Diana who is "an human being we can relate to and the icon and the female role model just naturally flowing", she's an icon that rarely is an human being. She acts like an icon even in those rare occasions of human relations. And she's so boring that she takes off some of the fun other characters could have.

It's great that Rucka literally threw away (just like Hera flipped Themyscira) all of it right in the beginning. A run where Diana was probably the most warrioresque from all the runs of the solo book, but everybody likes. Or do queer people hate it because it's done for the "mail gayze"? Stereotyping much?
    Last edited by Vonter Voman; 10-11-2014 at 02:11 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    You probably wouldn't like it. It's by far the gayest version of Wonder Woman and I mean that in a good way. It was a fantastical soap opera, with more costume changes than a Cher concert at Caesar's Palace. I enjoyed it immensely.
    gayest? in what sense? more on fashion side?

if there was good lesbian subtext I would read it for sure.

BANNED

gayest? in what sense? more on fashion side?

if there was good lesbian subtext I would read it for sure.
    She wasn't a lesbian, she had Jungle Fever instead.

Just wondering if the folks who don't like wedges for Warriors were (or are) okay with the Lynda Carter fashionable Warrior heels? (Yes, I realize they changed them to flat-soled boots for action scenes, but still...)
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I don't even think Jimenez's run was that great, yet he seems to think of himself as the sole arbiter of what WW is...
    I think it's called having an opinion. Something about democracy and personal freedom...
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Phil wrote Diana using the word "sexy" about a man. So clearly everything you just said is crazy talk.
    Challenge accepted

Bottom left panel.

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Challenge accepted

Bottom left panel.

Diana and Donna have never looked more beautiful than when Phil draws them. He did such a fantastic job of balancing the various aspects of Wonder Woman's world. The stories were exciting and varied quite a bit from another yet I always felt like it was a very cohesive run. It's a shame that Phil chose to quite as soon as he did due to all of the editorial interference thrown on him.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flatman View Post
    Jimenez sums it up that she should be "crazy, fun-loving, up to the challenge."
    Crazy? In Azzarello's book, she actually trusts Strife with Zola at one point. Does she really need to be crazier than that?

And the self-assured, knowing smile she wears when she does that is the very image of "up to the challenge." And she wears that smile again when she wrestles a bear, who is the moon, and she throws the fight in a variation on the theme of loving submission. Wrestling a bear wh o is the moon--let alone putting an odd twist on loving submission--isn't what usually get from a generic warrior woman, right? There's still a lot of craziness and campiness in this book.

"Fun-loving"? Well, admittedly, she hasn't had a great deal of downtime, but she enjoys walks with Zola and (in issue 2) sparring with Aleka. She strilkes me as someone who probably loves fun when she gets to have some.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Crazy? In Azzarello's book, she actually trusts Strife with Zola at one point. Does she really need to be crazier than that?

And the self-assured, knowing smile she wears when she does that is the very image of "up to the challenge." And she wears that smile again when she wrestles a bear, who is the moon, and she throws the fight in a variation on the theme of loving submission. Wrestling a bear wh o is the moon--let alone putting an odd twist on loving submission--isn't what usually get from a generic warrior woman, right? There's still a lot of craziness and campiness in this book.

"Fun-loving"? Well, admittedly, she hasn't had a great deal of downtime, but she enjoys walks with Zola and (in issue 2) sparring with Aleka. She strilkes me as someone who probably loves fun when she gets to have some.

I think Phil is thinking more along the lines of things like the Invisible Jet, Amazon tech, cross-dressing villains, proteges like Donna, Cassie, & Vanessa(to some extent), and being a leader in the superhero community like she was in that story he did where Diana heads-up the team of female heroes to take on Circe's team of female villains.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Exactly. Azzarello's depiction of Wonder Woman (minus the scrotum-grabbing and a few other instances) is pretty good IMO. She's less a beacon of perfection and more a character that does seem to be in line with Jimenez's vision. Azzarello's world, however, is much too bleak and violent to fit with Wonder Woman's whimsy.

I think it's called having an opinion. Something about democracy and personal freedom...
    Yeah, I know, but ever since Azz's run began and especially since WW was announced for BvS he seems intent on lecturing other wirters on how to WW should be written. If he wants WW to be written in a certain way he should try writing her.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut