Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    The Claw of Justice!

Default Question about pulp comics

Hi everyone,
    I am a big fan of pulp comics, and I read a lot of the Dark Horse and Dynamite comics in that genre. But I haven't been reading pulp comics for very long, and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations regarding comics in this genre.

What are you currently reading?
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

The Claw of Justice!

I've read Lobster Johnson, Black Beetle, most of the Dynamite pulp titles and I've read some Captain Midnight. I've heard Rocketeer and Sandman Mystery Theater are both really good, but I have not read either of those.

Mighty Member

I don't know if my definition of pulp is wrong but Brian Azzarello's 100Bullets is easy to class as pulp noir and Wonder Woman is often like a horror tale.

The anthology 2000AD got some good stories also. Classics are Future shocks tales, Judge Dredd (early stuff got alot of dinosaurs and other good fun), Strontium dog or why not Shako (the only ice bear on CIA's hit list). Modern titles: Stickleback or Leviathan (reads like Titanic meets silent hill).

Not to forget Jack Kirby. OMAC and Devil Dinosaur are really wild!
    Last edited by borntohula; 10-13-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    I've read Lobster Johnson, Black Beetle, most of the Dynamite pulp titles and I've read some Captain Midnight. I've heard Rocketeer and Sandman Mystery Theater are both really good, but I have not read either of those.
    I'm a big fan of the Rocketeer and the original '80s comic is solid stuff. Definitely check that out. This is a good book collecting the original story and the three-part follow-up, Cliff's New York Adventure.

IMO, the recent books by IDW range from good to bad. Rocketeer Adventures (two volumes of four issues each) is an anthology, and as with all anthologies there are good stories and not-so-good stories. I didn't really care for the Cargo of Doom mini-series, but I actually really enjoyed Hollywood Horror. I haven't read the Rocketeer/Spirit mini-series yet.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Rocketeer/Spirit was awesome, Dave would have been proud, it definitely captures the feel and tone of Cliff Secord and company A wacky adventure, but a good one. Some upcoming titles to look for, Lone Ranger Vindicated, Masks II, Shadow vs Grendle, Black Beetle Necrologue, Sherlock Holmes vs Harry Houdini, Justice Inc

Pulp Purveyor & Noir Nut FiveGhosts's Avatar

Dynamite announced some Legenderry spinoffs featuring Red Sonja, Vampirella and Green Hornet. The Green Hornet one might be classified as pulp, but the Legenderry series is technically steampunk. There could be some crossover between genres though.

Sandman Mystery Theatre is amazing.
    Rocketeer by Dave Stevens
    Tom Strong
    Dominic Fortune
    The Shadow by Helfer and Baker, and Matt Wagner
    Zorro by Wagner
    BB

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by FiveGhosts View Post
    Dynamite announced some Legenderry spinoffs featuring Red Sonja, Vampirella and Green Hornet. The Green Hornet one might be classified as pulp, but the Legenderry series is technically steampunk. There could be some crossover between genres though.
    I enjoyed the previous DE Green Hornet series as well as Year One.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Sandman Mystery Theatre is amazing.
    Rocketeer by Dave Stevens
    Tom Strong
    Dominic Fortune
    The Shadow by Helfer and Baker, and Matt Wagner
    Zorro by Wagner
    I'll have to give those other series a try, but I agree that Wagner's Shadow is great.

Fantastic Member

Its not based on any classic pulp characters but have you read SIN CITY ? I know its been around for 20 + years and 2 movies have been made from it but if you haven't checked out the comics you really should. Total pulp/noir/hard-boiled crime at its best. Violent Marv could take out the Shadow and Green hornet without putting down his whiskey.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Aomalle27 View Post
    Rocketeer/Spirit was awesome, Dave would have been proud, it definitely captures the feel and tone of Cliff Secord and company A wacky adventure, but a good one. Some upcoming titles to look for, Lone Ranger Vindicated, Masks II, Shadow vs Grendle, Black Beetle Necrologue, Sherlock Holmes vs Harry Houdini, Justice Inc
    Do you know when Black Beetle Necrologue is coming out? The first book is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    Do you know when Black Beetle Necrologue is coming out? The first book is excellent.
    God only knows . . . it was suppose to be last year, then it kept getting bumped to later and later this year.
    Comiclist is still saying end of December for the first issue (http://www.tfaw.com/Comics/Profile/B...gue-1___433568), but on their "Extended Forecast" list have issues #2 - 5 as "cancelled". (I'm guessing they're still waiting for a realistic re-solicitation date on those issues.)

Previewsworld, however, lists the first issue as "In Shops: 9/16/2015"?!?
    http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/...emID=AUG130053

Pulp Purveyor & Noir Nut FiveGhosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    God only knows . . . it was suppose to be last year, then it kept getting bumped to later and later this year.
    Comiclist is still saying end of December for the first issue (http://www.tfaw.com/Comics/Profile/B...gue-1___433568), but on their "Extended Forecast" list have issues #2 - 5 as "cancelled". (I'm guessing they're still waiting for a realistic re-solicitation date on those issues.)

Previewsworld, however, lists the first issue as "In Shops: 9/16/2015"?!?
    http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/...emID=AUG130053
    I'm not sure if FF is doing interiors anytime soon, so hopefully he can focus on Black Beetle. He stopped doing Afterlife w/ Archie, right?

Another fun choice would be

The Spirit: Book One tpb from 2008, which includes The Spirit #1 - 6 by Darwyn Cooke and Batman/The Spirit from 2007 by Jeph Loeb, Cooke and J. Bone

Cooke also had a second volume collected.