Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiveGhosts View Post
    I'm not sure if FF is doing interiors anytime soon, so hopefully he can focus on Black Beetle. He stopped doing Afterlife w/ Archie, right?
    No my understanding is he is going to be doing Afterlife with Archie for the foreseeable future...I believe they have the series announced up to issue 18.

I also understand he was in a car accident on his way to NYCC, which may have slowed him down even more. Bottom line, I would be shocked (and happy) to the more Black Beetle. But given how good Afterlife with Archie is, I would much rather he focus on that series;.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Another fun choice would be

The Spirit: Book One tpb from 2008, which includes The Spirit #1 - 6 by Darwyn Cooke and Batman/The Spirit from 2007 by Jeph Loeb, Cooke and J. Bone

Cooke also had a second volume collected.
    I've read the first issue of that series, as well as the second collection. Those are pretty good.

I'm not sure if you would put this with "pulp" or not (since it was originally a comic strip character back in the day), but Hermes Press is putting out a limited series with The Phantom written by Peter David.

(How Hermes gets to do this while Dynamite has been using The Phantom isn't clear to me.)

Theres a whole twitter feud going on over the Phantom rights.
    PAD says Dynamite are putting out Phantom comics illegally.
    Dynamite say they have the license until Jan '15 and it was their understanding that Hermes wouldnt be putting out a Phantom series til after that. In 2015 Dynamite will still be able to use Phantom but only in crossovers/team books, no solo series.
    Hermes says King (who own the Phantom) didnt tell them about this when Hermes got the license.
    King (apparently) arnt saying anything...

This could be a movie!

Pulp Purveyor & Noir Nut FiveGhosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    No my understanding is he is going to be doing Afterlife with Archie for the foreseeable future...I believe they have the series announced up to issue 18.

I also understand he was in a car accident on his way to NYCC, which may have slowed him down even more. Bottom line, I would be shocked (and happy) to the more Black Beetle. But given how good Afterlife with Archie is, I would much rather he focus on that series;.
    I forgot about that car crash. Hopefully he didn't suffer any lasting injuries. As for his output, he's always working on new prints and stuff on Twitter and Instagram, but I can understand if he's overworked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    . . . In 2015 Dynamite will still be able to use Phantom but only in crossovers/team books, no solo series . . .
    Now, this sounds like a silly concept. Why would a license to use the character in a team book be different than a license to have a solo series starring that same character? What would prevent the person who has the license to use the character in a team book from having a special issue of that book focusing on the character somebody else has a license to use for a solo series?

By the way, this was from Bleeding Cool about a week ago:
    Peter David Vs. Nick Barrucci Vs. Daniel Herman Over The Rights To Phantom

Black Science by Image might be in your wheelhouse too. Its a weird, old school pulp/sci-fi story about being lost on alternate dimensions. Maybe not "pulp" but it has the same feel and tone as some of the science fantasy stuff from back when pulp was at its height.

Just going to second the Tom Strong vote. Some of the best pulp-flavored stuff you'll find. Actually, all of Moore's ABC stuff is worth reading.

And the first Action Comics story arc by Grant Morrison has a strong pulp flavor to it as well; very much in line with the original, 1930's stuff. Two-fisted street justice and all that. Well, until the alien arrives. After that, it goes into a weird Silver Age homage, but those few issues might be right up your alley.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

What also may be of interest are the old Dick Tracy comic strips from the 1930s and early 1940s . . . IDW has been issuing them under Complete Chester Gould's Dick Tracy.

They're currently covering strips from the late 1950s . . . Volume 18 is due out in March.

Come February, Archie's Dark Circle line will be having a Black Hood book.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=57215

A couple of variant covers for the first issue:

by Francesco Francavilla

by Howard Chaykin

And does anybody know if MonkeyBrain's The Red Panda and Flying Squirrel would count as "pulp"?
    (Sounds like it would, but I haven't tried it.)

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And does anybody know if MonkeyBrain's The Red Panda and Flying Squirrel would count as "pulp"?
    (Sounds like it would, but I haven't tried it.)
    Mask of the Red Panda is pretty good. It was a lot more lighthearted than most pulp stuff.

Seconding the Red Panda love. It's also a monthly audio drama with over 100 episodes and a bunch of books. It's pretty expansive and ranges from uber silly to super dark.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Thirding the Red Panda. The Panda-verse is my favorite super hero universe.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

BLACK SCIENCE, by Rick Remender is pretty good. One trade is out already, and decently priced. LAST DAYS OF AMERICAN CRIME, also by Remender. His CAPTAIN AMERICA: ESCAPE FROM DIMENSION Z was the best Cap comic I've read in ages, and had a lot of crazy old school stuff.

Jeff Parker's current AQUAMAN run is DC's biggest pulp book and it's fantastic- his AGENTS OF ATLAS at Marvel is rock solid fun too.

I wish someone would put out a GOOD Doc Savage book (even Azz failed to do so, and he's usually on point with me). Guess we're not that lucky yet.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-06-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Another one was a five-issue Marvel limited series that's available in a tpb collection:

Mystery Men