Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Another one was a five-issue Marvel limited series that's available in a tpb collection:

Mystery Men
    I was always very curious about Marvel's Mystery Men, since I liked that cover and the character designs.

Seconding Dave Stevens' Rocketeer, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Darwyn Cooke's Spirit, Howard Chaykin and Helfer/Baker/Sienkiewicz's Shadow, and I'll add on a few more:

Planetary, by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday (a love letter to the popular heroic fiction of the 19th and 20th Centuries, including familiar analogues of all the classic pulp heroes)
    Terminal City, by Dean Motter and Michael Lark (originally published by Vertigo, now there is a slightly undersized Dark Horse TPB called The Compleat Terminal City, collecting all 14 issues.)
    Tomorrow Stories, by Alan Moore and various artists (an anthology series collected in two TPBs, but the highlight is Greyshirt, with art by Rick Veitch; a spot-on, brilliant homage to Will Eisner's Spirit)
    Greyshirt: Indigo Sunset (a six-issue miniseries that followed Tomorrow Stories, written and drawn by Veitch)
    Incognito, by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (all of their collaborations are great, but the two Incognito TPBs are set in their own world of pulpy "science heroes" and villains, secret societies, flying zeppelins, etc.)

Sandman Mystery Theatre is a must.

Also, I would throw in Ellis/Shalvey/Bellaire's 6 issue run on Moon Knight. MK has always struck me as a pulp character, but this latest run really captures that short, punchy, weird feel.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

BANNED

Read Black Bat and The Spider!!!

BANNED

Throwing in a second for both Tom Strong and Sin City.

BANNED

My question is. Are there any CURRENT pulp comics that are good? Because I don't see any.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    My question is. Are there any CURRENT pulp comics that are good? Because I don't see any.
    Dynamite will be finishing the Justice Inc. limited series soon with The Shadow, Doc Savage, and The Avenger.

Dark Horse had the Grendel vs Shadow book they did with Dynamite recently. (An excellent read if you didn't buy it.)

Last month, Dynamite released three over-priced Shadow, Avenger, and Doc Savage one-shots.

BANNED

Dynamite will be finishing the Justice Inc. limited series soon with The Shadow, Doc Savage, and The Avenger.

Dark Horse had the Grendel vs Shadow book they did with Dynamite recently. (An excellent read if you didn't buy it.)

Last month, Dynamite released three over-priced Shadow, Avenger, and Doc Savage one-shots.

Grendel? Now that's a name that I have not heard in a while.

. . . Dark Horse had the Grendel vs Shadow book they did with Dynamite recently. (An excellent read if you didn't buy it.) . . .
    Grendel? Now that's a name that I have not heard in a while.
    Grendel vs. The Shadow #1

Sparks fly and bullets blaze when the original Grendel, Hunter Rose, is transported to 1930s New York and faces off with the original dark-night avenger, the Shadow! Two pulp-noir icons go head to head in this three-issue prestige-format series written and drawn by legendary Grendel creator Matt Wagner.

* A great starting point for new Grendel and The Shadow readers!
    * Matt Wagner continues his fan-favorite character—Grendel!

Writer: Matt Wagner
    Artist: Matt Wagner
    Colorist: Brennan Wagner
    Cover Artist: Matt Wagner
    Publication Date: September 03, 2014
    Format: FC, 48 pages; Miniseries
    Price:$5.99
    https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/25-559/Grendel-vs-The-Shadow-1

Preview pages for #1 at https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/25-559

If people like Matt Wagner and his Sandman Mystery Theatre work, you might also want to check out

Madame Xanadu: Exodus Noir from 2010
    - collects Madame Xanadu issues #11-15 -

The arc is set in 1940 New York City (as well as parts in Spain during the Inquisition) and has appearances by Dian Belmont and The Sandman (Golden Age / Mystery Theatre version).

Long Ago User...

Modern? you gotta read, The Fade Out by Brubaker and Phillips. An Image book. Very specific crime-noir. And each book has great background material in the back to see where the creators are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by onetimeasianlover View Post
    Modern? you gotta read, The Fade Out by Brubaker and Phillips. An Image book. Very specific crime-noir. And each book has great background material in the back to see where the creators are coming from.
    The Fade Out is the only Image comic book I buy. Unfortunately, it's been announced that issue #12 will be the last one.
    http://community.comicbookresources....-Solicitations

Another title that may fit this genre is the four-issue series Dead Vengeance from Dark Horse.

(Issue #2 just came out this past Wednesday.)

Nice catch, Hoy. I'm going to add that to my Black Friday Sale shopping list for Dark Horse's digital store.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

The 80s/90s Spicy reprints are absolutely worth everyone's time.

So good.

Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Darwyn Cooke's Parker comics and The Goon. Both are very entertaining pulp series, I believe. Also the first Grendel's stories are definitely pulp (volume 1 of Dark Horse recent omnibus edition).

Plus, I think in the broad definition of the word also Hellboy and Sleeper can be considered pulp comics.

And what about all the Golden Age-related series? I mean stuff like The Twelve or Project Superheroes.