Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aomalle27 View Post
    . . . Some upcoming titles to look for, Lone Ranger Vindicated, Masks II, . . .
    Final issue of Masks 2 (#8) is due out next week (11/18/2015).

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    Do you know when Black Beetle Necrologue is coming out? The first book is excellent.
    Saw this posted elsewhere: a link to Francavilla's latest update on Twitter.
    Working on getting Vol.2 out in 2016 : ) RT
    @GyroPhibes @f_francavilla Do you have an update on Black Beetle? Can't wait to read more of it.
    Looks like it was posted about a month ago?
    https://twitter.com/f_francavilla/st...88122415931392
    (As to when in 2016, . . . )

By the way, anybody remember the old Twilight Avenger series?

Well, there's now

http://pulp2ohpress.com/the-graphic-...light-avenger/

Lobster Johnson: The Glass Mantis is due out this week.

And, theoretically, we may finally be seeing Black Beetle : Necrologue this year?

http://community.comicbookresources....crologue/page3

Quote Originally Posted by onetimeasianlover View Post
    Modern? you gotta read, The Fade Out by Brubaker and Phillips. An Image book. Very specific crime-noir. And each book has great background material in the back to see where the creators are coming from.
    Don't forget: final issue of The Fade Out (#12) is due out this Wednesday (January 6th), as is the last issue of Dead Vengeance and the third issue of Joe Golem.

Geez, nobody else has any comments or suggestions these days?

Uh...John Carter just ended. And Moonstone are doing a new Domino Lady mini? :P

What do people think about the latest run of Marvel's Daredevil by Soule & Garney? (Yeah, I know it's a bit too 21st century to be classified as "pulp", but it seems to have some of those darker influences so far.)

Spectacular Member Chintzy Beatnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

What do people think about the latest run of Marvel's Daredevil by Soule & Garney? (Yeah, I know it's a bit too 21st century to be classified as "pulp", but it seems to have some of those darker influences so far.)
    I liked the first two issues.

With the exception of their Star Wars titles, it's been a while since I read anything Marvel on a consistent basis, unless it was a while after it came out. There a few books from this latest relaunch that I am hoping will change that.

Anybody reading Dynamite's latest Miss Fury run?

Issue #1 came out at the start of the month (April 6th) and issue #2 is due out for May 4th.

Anybody reading Dynamite's latest Miss Fury run?
    Yes. I picked up issue #1 and actually just got around to reading it last night. It's my first time to read anything with this character; so I'm a total newcomer in that sense. But I did enjoy this first issue and plan to pick up the second one to see where the story is going.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

I'm not as up on some of the current stuff; I've been out of the market too long. I can speak of great past material.

Starting with Conan and Warlord. Conan started in Weird Tales and the Marvel Comics stuff, both comics and magazines are first rate. Over at DC, Mike Grell gave us Warlord, which was influenced by Burroughs and Hollywood, with touches of Tolkien and Moorcock here and there.

Howard Chaykin is one to read in this realm. His first series was Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, based on Frtitz Leiber's stories, on DC's Sword & Sorcery Comic. He followed that up with Ironwolf, on DC's Weird Worlds comic, after their Burroughs license ended. He returned to Ironwolf later, in a graphic novel with Mike Mignola on art. His Cody Starbuck was a reworking of Ironwolf, and continued the pulp/space opera tradition. He did The Scorpion, at Atlas/Seaboard, for 2 issues, which are great pulp stories. When he left them, he reworked the Scorpion into Dominic Fortune, at Marvel. Fortune is definitely better and a lot of fun. Aside from the stories that were reprinted in that trade, with the Max imprint mini and web comics, he produced some color Dominic Fortune for Hulk (aka Rampaging Hulk) Magazine, with Denny O'Neil continuing to write, including a story where he meets a micro-thinly veiled Shadow. Chaykin worked on the Shadow modern revival at DC, and also helped launch a rather pulpy take on Blackhawk (which was always rather pulpy). American Flagg was filled with pulp traditions, as well as some cutting edge sci-fi, for the time. American Century is a nice pulpy blend of things, mixing more the 50s hard-bolied crime style. Midnight Men is more in the traditional mold, with the latest in a line of costumed vigilantes. Chaykin returned to Fafhrd and Gray Mouser in the early 90s, at Epic, with Mike Mignola on art. Chaykin also did an issue of Immortal Iron Fist, focusing on Danny Rand's more pulpy predecessor, in an excellent tale.

Denny O'Neil and Mike Kaluta did a fine rendition of the Shadow, back in the 70s, and O'Neil and Russ Heath did an excellent Shadow graphic novel at Marvel, which was later reprinted.

Tarzan had great runs all over, but especially the Joe Kubert DC comics and the John Buscema Marvel ones.

Tom Strong, as mentioned, is tremendous pulp fun and Greyshirt is an excellent Spirit pastiche.

Twilight Avenger is also good fun.

Hellboy is in the pulpy tradition of Lovecraft and other Weird Tales stories.

You don't get much pulpier than Michael T. Gilbert's Mr. Monster or Dan Brereton's Nocturnals; or for that matter, Brereton Chuck Dixon and Beu Smith's Black Terror mini, from Eclipse.

Crash Ryan was a nice blend of pulp and movie serial. It was produced as a mini at Epic, then a story later appeared in Dark Horse Presents.

I consider the Phantom to be Pulp and recommend the collections of the old Gold Key and Charlton runs of the comic, especially the Charlton ones. they had people like Jim Aparo and Don Newton on the book. Newton was especially moody with the art and issue 70 featured an excellent riff on various Bogart mystery and adventure movies, "The Mystery of the Mali Ibex."

Flash Gordon also falls into pulp, in my definition and he had a decent series at Dynamite and some excellent comics at Gold Key, in the 70s.

Eclipse did a lot of great pulp stuff, like ESPers, Luger, Ms Tree (in the tradition of Spillane and Chandler), Scout (very much in the men's adventure pulp mode), Aztec Ace, Airboy and related titles (especially the period Skywolf stories). First Comics Jon Sable (from the always excellent Mike Grell) and Whisper were in the modern pulp traditions.

The Dan Jolly and Tony Harris JSA: The Liberty Files stuff was a nice pulpy take on the heroes. I;d also throw the first year or two of The Invaders, as being more in the pulpy Timely tradition of comics.

Dean Motter's excellent Terminal City has been mentioned, but his Mister X fit very well, too, as did Electropolis.

I'd also add Ron Fortier's Boston Bombers, from Caliber, Christopher Moeller's King of the Rocketmen (based on the Republic serial), the Modesty Blaise strips, Master of Kung Fu (especially the Moench and Gulacy stories), Killraven, the Torpedo stories from Jordi Bernet and Sanchez Abuli (and Alex Toth, the Blacksad graphic novels, XIII (the French series, translated by Cinebook)Mike Grell's Starslayer, the Rocketeer, and so many more that I am forgetting.

Hell, if you're going back to the days of Eclipse Comics, don't leave out

The Prowler (1987)

and

Revenge of the Prowler (1988)

Hell, if you're going back to the days of Eclipse Comics, don't leave out

The Prowler (1987)

and

Revenge of the Prowler (1988)
    Yeah, I knew I was going to forget stuff, especially at Eclipse. How I forgot Prowler, I don't know. While we are at it: Lost Planet, the Merchants of Death magazine anthology, Tim Truman's version of The Spider, and their adaptation of Haggard's She.

By the way, both
    Miss Fury Vol 2 #2
    and
    Will Eisner's The Spirit #10
    are suppose to ship this week from Dynamite. (And Black Hood #10 from Archie / Dark Circle?)

Then, for May 18th,

Twilight Zone: The Shadow #2 ( of 4 )