Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    . . . I really wish there were more comic books out these days that had crime stories like those in the old 1920s/1930s/1940s pulp magazines, but Dynamite seems to have dropped the ball with those characters they had been trying out several years ago. Who knows if/when that new Miss Fury series will ever get published, . . .
    It's supposedly coming out as a graphic novel (instead of as individual issues) next month?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    . . . or if Dark Horse's Black Beetle: Necrologue by Francavilla will finally see the light of comic book racks?
    No idea if that one will happen.

Only thing I'm aware of from Dynamite recently was a Green Hornet comic written by . . . Scott Lobdell?

In the meantime, I recently finished reading

Dead Evidence: The Complete Black Mask Cases of Harrigan by Ed Lybeck, which is a collection of four pulp-era stories originally published in issues of Black Mask magazine in the early 1930s.
    First story was in the December 1931 issue.

And I'm now reading:

Shake-Down: The Complete Cases of MacBride & Kennedy Volume 2: 1930-33 by Frederick Nebel

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am a big fan of pulp comics, and I read a lot of the Dark Horse and Dynamite comics in that genre. But I haven't been reading pulp comics for very long, and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations regarding comics in this genre.
    Once again bumping up this old thread . . .

By the way, for any Lobster Johnson fans here, there was this article from a few months back:
    Apr 1, 2021, 11:00am EST

Face The Claw...Of Justice! Mike Mignola Teases Future Plans For Lobster Johnson

Josh Weiss - Contributor - Hollywood & Entertainment

The salt water tank of vigilantism is far from empty, folks. Hellboy creator Mike Mignola and Dark Horse Comics will once again be pinching crime in the buttocks with brand-new stories centered around the violent pulp and noir-inspired hero known as Lobster Johnson (aka “The Lobster” or “LoJo”).

“There are a couple of Lobster Johnson things in the early planning stages. Very early, so that’s as much of a tease as you’re going to get,” Mignola exclusively tells Forbes Entertainment during an interview about the forthcoming Hellboy omnibus box set.

“We are working on some plans for LoJo, there will be fresh versions of the older material as well as some newer stories in the works,” adds Dark Horse editor Katii O’Brien. “We are far from done with him, and readers can expect to see some Lobster Johnson in the next year!”

An influential role model for a growing Hellboy, Johnson first scuttled onto the scene in 1999’s Hellboy: Box of Evil #1. The semi-apocryphal figure was famous for battling monsters, and Nazis in Depression-era Manhattan. He’s basically Mignola’s ode to Captain America with a bloody twist of Quentin Tarantino thrown into the mix (imagine if Steve Rogers burned a red hot lobster claw insignia into the foreheads of his vanquished foes, and you’ve got the picture).

The Lobster’s career came to an end when he was killed during a raid on a German science outpost in Austria. Nevertheless, he later appeared to Hellboy as a ghost.

Over the last two decades, LoJo has received his very own standalone adventures like The Iron Prometheus, The Burning Hand, Satan Smells a Rat, Get the Lobster, A Chained Forged in Life and The Pirate's Ghost and Metal Monsters of Midtown. In addition, he was the subject of a 2009 prose novel, The Satan Factory, written by Thomas E. Sniegoski.

“The trick with the character is to keep him relatively low key, and that's great because then you can actually do stories about crime,” Mignola said in a 2013 interview with Comic Book Resources. “The fact that he is still regarded as a mythical, 'Was he real or not?' character means you're forced to maintain a certain mystery about him.”

The mysterious character made his live-action debut in 2019’s big screen Hellboy reboot, where he was played in a World War II flashback by Thomas Haden Church.

“The costume for Lobster Johnson is spot-on, or 99 percent exactly what was in the comic,” Mignola remarked to Vulture around the time of the film’s release. “That’s taken a lot of getting used to, seeing my work so represented on screen. So that was pretty cool.”
    see thread "Lobster Johnson plans for 2022" in the Hellboy sub-section of the forum.

Anyone else reading the ERB stuff from American Mythology? It's Jungle Pulp I guess.
    I recently read 'Beyond the farthest star: warriors of zandar', and 'Pellucidar: across savage seas', what was interesting is that one series focused on a girl Victory Harben, while Pellucidar focused on her mother when she was young. According to the stamp on the covers these books are also cannon with the novels.