Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Can't say I agree. All it would have taken was one reaction page to remind readers that there was more at stake than just a puzzle, and I can certainly see material that could have been condensed or excised to put it in. A major misstep, IMO.
    Agreed. One page or two would have been sufficient at least, but I guess it was considered. It is unfortunate though as so much of what Marvel has done with the X-Men lately has painted them into this corner of being completely separate from baseline humans, forgetting most of these characters were born by humans in the first place.

Can't say I agree. All it would have taken was one reaction page to remind readers that there was more at stake than just a puzzle, and I can certainly see material that could have been condensed or excised to put it in. A major misstep, IMO.
    I didn't actually think of this whilst reading, but you do raise a very good point, and once which should have been addressed. There didn't seem to be much emotional, personal drive involved in the X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Agreed. One page or two would have been sufficient at least, but I guess it was considered. It is unfortunate though as so much of what Marvel has done with the X-Men lately has painted them into this corner of being completely separate from baseline humans, forgetting most of these characters were born by humans in the first place.
    I think the isolation does more damage than that, honestly. Ignoring the fact that some of the X-Men have loved ones out among the human population doesn't just divorce them from humans, it divorces them somewhat from their humanity because it denies them a reaction the audience can empathize with on a very basic level. And that makes it a lot harder to care, because then they're just going through the motions to restore the faceless masses without any established stake in things.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anduinel View Post
    i think the isolation does more damage than that, honestly. Ignoring the fact that some of the x-men have loved ones out among the human population doesn't just divorce them from humans, it divorces them somewhat from their humanity because it denies them a reaction the audience can empathize with on a very basic level. And that makes it a lot harder to care, because then they're just going through the motions to restore the faceless masses without any established stake in things.
    !!! This !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    I think the isolation does more damage than that, honestly. Ignoring the fact that some of the X-Men have loved ones out among the human population doesn't just divorce them from humans, it divorces them somewhat from their humanity because it denies them a reaction the audience can empathize with on a very basic level. And that makes it a lot harder to care, because then they're just going through the motions to restore the faceless masses without any established stake in things.
    Both are brilliant and very interesting replies, tha ti think could be applied to many X-men comics in recent times(it has been kind of trend from latest years to put the mutant section of the MU in its own little sandbox). Expecially that trainwreck that is "uncanny avengers".

This was an amazing read Carey and LaRocca naliled it. So many good lines beast to triage - your turning out to be quitte the xman with your compromising morals, or we it actually said.
    I really though that Summers was going to kiss is girl when Jean fell to his arms , the next box had their faces inching closer then cutt! Damn, they need to figure out how much time has gone by since 05 got here cuz it can't be only 2 weeks& Jean could be close to 17 or 18 now. He can always fly her to Hawaii ala Brian singer lol.
    When the alt dimension mutants got take. Back to their worlds I screamed NOOO! And looked to next page seeing raze do the same. Would be nice to not be an endangered species anymore.
    The thing that erks. Me is Magneto, still hasn't explained why he left UXM, he starts off with xmen in the book goes to tell mystique to tell raze to stop, then all a sudden he's fighting the xmen felt kind of forced I know mags wants a world like that but it made nonsense for him to make that heel turn that fast.
    9/10 just as good as god loves man kills , re read befor reAding this.
    I hope beast fixeS the machine and brings those mutants back or make a new xtreme xmen where they scout worlds where the mutants are worthy enough to be brought to 616. What were cable and hope doing during this? What about Thor he isn't a human would have been nice to see a cameo from him.
    I'd rather get a 100page book like this with a good story once a month than uxm anxm xm combined, in. 100 pg Carey did what bendis hasn't for 22 issues

I was sort of concerned about the X-characters not caring about their families then I remembered that most of them are already dead due to various tragic back stories.

Kind of funny/cruel that nobody noticed that Jubilee and Shogo weren't at the mansion.

Aren't nearly all the Guthrie kids mutants, or future mutants? It would have been a really bad plan if it zapped the kids who haven't "bloomed" yet. I don't think Cerebro detects them.

Isn't it ironic that even as an obvious dues ex machina it's still the best use of Phoenix in years?
    Last edited by All-New Valar Stercus NOW.1; 05-11-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    Game Over man! Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by Kj7 View Post
    The thing that erks. Me is Magneto, still hasn't explained why he left UXM, he starts off with xmen in the book goes to tell mystique to tell raze to stop, then all a sudden he's fighting the xmen felt kind of forced I know mags wants a world like that but it made nonsense for him to make that heel turn that fast.
    Mags was the most interesting character in the book imo. Also it wasn't really a "heel" turn. He wasn't "wooooo bad guys, lets go".

He says his primary concern is the mutant refugees and the choice between a "depopulated wasteland or a mutant republic" is an obvious one. That is why he swapped sides. It wasn't to just go all evil. He even has a heroic moment at the end where he stands up to the phoenix for the safety of the displaced mutants. That was pretty awesome.
    He was slightly on the bad side, but he was meant to provide a fresh perspective. X-men are "save everyone", Raze and his folks were all "yay, evil!", Mags was "Im gonna make damn sure mutants are taken care of, let the rest fall where it may".

Isn't it ironic that even as an obvious dues ex machina it's still the best use of Phoenix in years?
    It is kind of amusing. Even with that little stain, it still provided so much great material. The appearance, Storm's friend moment, Jean confrontation, Mags confrontation. All amazing pieces of the book.
    Though it showed some of the worst parts of the phoenix (overused, dues ex machina), it was also the first great content we've gotten from it in an eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic_Totality View Post
    It feels like any incarnation of Jean can't accomplish much without the Phoenix just waiting around the corner.
    You're wrong about that. It was actually the opposite here. Were it not for Jean, "Dark" Phoenix would have destroyed the X-Men and everything else as a result. The Phoenix decided that 2 Jeans were better than one. But teen-Jean managed to talk down the older, more experienced, and jaded Jean, probably due to her younger nature, but whatever the case, she succeeded. Maybe some of that also had to do with what she saw during the "Trial of the Phoenix", but this was her first actual "taste" of the force.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic_Totality View Post
    It is strange how that was left hanging, when almost everything else was tied-up. And exactly how many did come through? It did seem like there quite a lot. And wonder if it will be addressed by anyone else, given how isolated this is due to the nature of it being an OGN.
    I think they may be reserving that for future stories. A "world of mutants". It just wasn't clear what happened, because I think Phoenix left Raze behind in that space.

Quote Originally Posted by Kj7 View Post
    This was an amazing read Carey and LaRocca naliled it. So many good lines beast to triage - your turning out to be quitte the xman with your compromising morals, or we it actually said.
    I thought Beast was hilarious. Here's the guy who brought the 05 into the future, and he's complaining about everything else that's going on. Forget that his bringing the 05 here is what led to this whole fiasco in the first place. It's because of him, we have to deal with Raze. For such a "smart" guy, he's really dumb.

I didn't like this event, felt lame and contrived. The story started somewhat interesting, but then quickly devolved into mindless 1v1 street fighter fights before the deus x-machina phoenix put everything into its place with little to no harm done.

The art was great, and is probably the saving grace of the book.

Another aspect I liked was all of the x-men working together, although the occasional bickering between gold-blue was cringe-worthy.

I'd give it a 4/10 for the story/dialogue and a 8/10 for the art.

BANNED

I feel like Carey set Storm on fire just for darkness. <3

Characterization was ON POINT, but the story itself was meh and really jumped the shark when Phoenix showed up. Bachalo might've helped. Larocca wasn't his best but I appreciated that he gave Emma the appropriate wrinkes.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
    Characterization was ON POINT
    Even Beast's? The furball not remembering his own grave-robbing adventures felt a bit odd, no?

Quote Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
    but the story itself was meh and really jumped the shark when Phoenix showed up.
    It sure was and it sure did. Props for the honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Even Beast's? The furball not remembering his own grave-robbing adventures felt a bit odd, no?
    Well, in his defense, digging up dead corpses for autopsy is a tad different from creating unholy zombies out of them. So if you ignore the circumstances in the story and every other shady thing he has been up to elsewhere he does not look too bad.

I don't think its that big a difference considering hank screwing up the past. This book was ridiculously bad

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Prof K could've easily replaced Beast as the X-Men's outdated, naive moral compass. Heck, it actually would've been somewhat of a follow-up to her BOTA 'You guys are such jerks and won't listen to me' tantrum.

Also, she doesn't dig up corpses and destroy alternate Earths.
    Yes, because having morals is "outdated" and "naive". Shows more what kind of person you are than what kind of persons the characters are.

That being said, Hank is definitely the wrong one to deliver monologues about morality.