Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Futures End, #1

"Future's End" #1 is a somewhat bland and derivative take on the idea of a dark future, but a team of DC's most notable writers squeeze out a mildly interesting story that's impressively illustrated by Patrick Zircher.

Full review here.

Actually, the logic behind Terry not going back as far in time because of his lesser mass is impeccable.

Many theories of time travel, especially into the past, involve the hypothetical particles known as tachyons; which are notable not only for traveling faster than light, but by doing so moving into the past. Another neat aspect of tachyons is that the more energy they have, the slower they go, as opposed to normal particles which behave in precisely the opposite way. Thus a tachyon-based time-travel device that was calibrated for a larger mass would apply too much energy to a smaller mass, producing less temporal motion as a result.
    Last edited by Lemurion; 05-09-2014 at 05:08 AM.

Spectacular Member

This issue was great, and was a great follow-up to the 0 issue. I am hoping that appearances by the 'Trinity' will be kept to a minimum, letting the other heroes shine (similar to 52). Never had any exposure to Terry McGuinness, but I like him so far.

I think some of the phrasing makes it feel like the review is harder on the title than it really is. I agree that it didn't create much emotion or give me a huge desire to read the rest of the story, but it was a good beginning. I'm hoping it's just the beginning that feels like it would work better in a novel format, but at least we only have to wait a week for the next part.

Yes, Terry and A.L.F.R.E.D. was the best part but anyone that's been reading the threads already knew that.

Incredible Member RobertoDaCosta's Avatar

this review is confusing...
    they use phrases as "been-there-done-that vibe", "morbid", "It's not as good as it could have been, but it's better than what many might be expecting"... the author seems to be saying that they expected the book to be lousy, so a 3/5 stars isn't a bad grade for a DC event...
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Welcome to the world of CBR reviews folks. As usual, the reviewer gets basic facts wrong - really, you are going to criticize a plot point about time travel and not even Google what could cause such a thing (hint - difference in mass is #1 - which is exactly the reason they gave)? I would love to know the reviewer's idea of why time travel could be off (other than the fact it doesn't exist as far as we know). What a stupid point. Another point about the emotion of the deaths - a crossover such as this is generally written for people who are fans of DC. You might be slobbering all over Ultimate Spider-Man, but 90% of the people who pick the book up know who Stormwatch is (and maybe know it from the several million copies it sold over the last 20 years). So, while you maybe felt no emotion that's probably because you just finished your latest Saga TPB.

Face it, stick an Image logo on this thing or better yet do it in black and white, run it off on an old hand copier, and have no one read it and this book gets 4 stars. DC will never get fair reviews here (except for Batman, which is ironic). This is the same site that gave Sinestro 1*. Why they even bother I'm not sure, you will have better luck asking the guy down at the comic book store at 10 am on Wednesdays
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-08-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Welcome to the world of CBR reviews folks. As usual, the reviewer gets basic facts wrong - really, you are going to criticize a plot point about time travel and not even Google what could cause such a thing (hint - difference in mass is #1 - which is exactly the reason they gave)? I would love to know the reviewer's idea of why time travel could be off (other than the fact it doesn't exist as far as we know). What a stupid point. Another point about the emotion of the deaths - a crossover such as this is generally written for people who are fans of DC. You might be slobbering all over Ultimate Spider-Man, but 90% of the people who pick the book up know who Stormwatch is (and maybe know it from the several million copies it sold over the last 20 years). So, while you maybe felt no emotion that's probably because you just finished your latest Saga TPB.

Face it, stick an Image logo on this thing or better yet do it in black and white, run it off on an old hand copier, and have no one read it and this book gets 4 stars. DC will never get fair reviews here (except for Batman, which is ironic). This is the same site that gave Sinestro 1*. Why they even bother I'm not sure, you will have better luck asking the guy down at the comic book store at 10 am on Wednesdays
    Don't diss Saga lol. I do agree with you though on the fact DC gets too much hate for little to no reason. However as you probably know a review is just one persons opinion. Back in 2008 the movie reviewer for my local newspaper said both Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk weren't that great of movies. Also I agree that a series like Futures End is made for DC fans who have a good idea about the DC universe as a whole.

I thought it was great issue, very shocking and eye opening for me. I'm very interested in this series now

So far, it looks like Batman Beyond teams up with the Cancelled Comics Cavalcade.

Fantastic Member

LOL! I love this post. Yeah the reviewer comes off as an elitist. It's like the reviewer can't accept the fact that he enjoyed the issue so he tried to sound as snobbish as possible looking for stuff to nitpick. I agree that if you stick an Image logo on this, this guy would all over this.

Presumably the Big Three and the rest of the Justice League will be featured soon enough, as they were seen in the further future-shifted FCBD issue.
    So he assumes that Trinity will show up because they showed up as dead/cyborgs 30 years later...? Okay. Like certain that at some point Trinity will pop up, but certainly not because they died 30 years later.

Heh, he even mentions Apollo's "Han Solo" dialogue, like it's a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by beetle_booster View Post
    LOL! I love this post. Yeah the reviewer comes off as an elitist. It's like the reviewer can't accept the fact that he enjoyed the issue so he tried to sound as snobbish as possible looking for stuff to nitpick. I agree that if you stick an Image logo on this, this guy would all over this.
    He's not the only one a lot of people are sounding like they can't except the fact they like the first issue, and want more.

All-New Member

This was officially my first foray back into the New 52. A while back I dropped all books I was getting because the editorial interference and last minute changes were ridiculous. I finally decided to wade back into the DC waters with this event. I enjoyed it quite a bit. And, as most of you noted, the Terry and A.L.F.R.E.D. segment was definitely the most enjoyable. But I'm a little biased since I really enjoyed the Batman Beyond series and am a Terry fan in general. They reminded me of Booster and Skeets, who I'm hoping get a solo series out of this event (I miss Booster and Skeets!). I also liked the use of Stormwatch and Firestorm, and I think it's cool that they are using characters that are essentially in limbo. I mean, do we really need another story revolving the Trinity (not that there's anything wrong with those characters =D ). It's nice to see lesser used characters elevated and used to a higher potential. I also enjoyed it being used in the pre-N52 52 weekly series. Anyways, I'm looking forward to the next issue. So I'm on board for this series for the long haul.
    Last edited by kjc_pop; 05-09-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Amazing Member

It seems CBR are the lap dogs of the Marvel universe. They give give great reviews to crap Marvel books (pick most of their event books and most Bendis material - wow does he just churn out the formulaic crap or what!). Also, it's not cool to give superhero books high marks in many cases because that isn't the cool trend these days. It isn't what the cool kids are reading. Make up your own mind. This book was better than this 'reviewer' would lead you to believe.