Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default From a Golden Age: The Invaders Appreciation

The Invaders were created by Roy Thomas, out of his love for the Golden Age era characters. They first appeared in Avengers 71, cover date December 1969, though they weren't called Invaders, and they only consisted of Namor the Sub-Mariner, The Original Human Torch and Captain America. But Roy did have Jim Hammond yell their battle cry "Okay Axis, Here We Come!" in this issue when they fought Yellow Jacket, Black Panther, and Vision as champions in a cosmic contest between Kang and the Grandmaster.

The Invaders sort of appeared again in Avengers 97, cover date March 1972, as heroes "summoned" by Rick Jones during the Kree-Skrull War.

They finally appeared as a team named Invaders in an origin story that appeared in Giant Sized Invaders 1, cover date June 1975, with art by Frank Robbins, inked by Vinnie Colleta. And while Churchill gives them their name in the story, according to Roy Thomas' Recollection page in Giant Sized Avengers 1:

Back in 1966, Stan Lee had toyed briefly with the idea of teaming up the Sub-Mariner and the Hulk permanently <a precursor to the Defenders> in the pages of TALES TO ASTONISH, the mag they then shared. He even had a title he loved: THE INVADERS.

And thus was started the Invaders first ongoing, which ran for 41 issues, an Annual and this Giant Sized issue.
    Last edited by Rheged; 05-05-2014 at 01:16 AM.

BANNED

Invaders #1

RECOMMENDED READING

COLLECTED EDITIONS

Invaders Classic 1 (Collects Invaders #1-9, Giant-Size Invaders (1975) #1, and Marvel Premiere #29-30)
    Invaders Classic 2 (Collects Invaders #10-21 and Annual #1)
    Invaders Classic 3 (Collects Invaders #22-23 and #25-34)
    Invaders Classic 4 (Collects Invaders #35-41 and Invaders 1993 #1-4)
    Once an Invader
    New Invaders to End All Wars (Collects New Invaders #1-9 )
    Invaders Eve of Destruction (Collects Marvel Universe #1-7)
    Avengers / Invaders
    The Torch
    Invaders Now!

Namor John Byrne Visionaries v2 (Collects Namor #10-18)
    The Marvels Project
    Captain America The Man With No Face (Collects Captain America #43-48)
    Last edited by Rheged; 05-05-2014 at 01:16 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post

Invaders #1

RECOMMENDED READING

COLLECTED EDITIONS

Invaders Classic 1 (Collects Invaders #1-9, Giant-Size Invaders (1975) #1, and Marvel Premiere #29-30)
    Invaders Classic 2 (Collects Invaders #10-21 and Annual #1)
    Invaders Classic 3 (Collects Invaders #22-23 and #25-34)
    Invaders Classic 4 (Collects Invaders #35-41 and Invaders 1993 #1-4)
    Once an Invader
    New Invaders to End All Wars (Collects New Invaders #1-9 )
    Invaders Eve of Destruction (Collects Marvel Universe #1-7)
    Avengers / Invaders
    The Torch
    Invaders Now!

Namor John Byrne Visionaries v2 (Collects Namor #10-18)
    The Marvels Project
    Captain America The Man With No Face (Collects Captain America #43-48)
    I appreciate this recommended reading more than ever since the post SW Prince Namor is apparently killed by the Squadron Supreme and the post SW Steve Rogers and Jim Hammond are mere SHIELD agents.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I appreciate this recommended reading more than ever since the post SW Prince Namor is apparently killed by the Squadron Supreme and the post SW Steve Rogers and Jim Hammond are mere SHIELD agents.
    Don't get me started. <sob>

Yes, the individual Invaders haven't fared well at all of late.

That is a nice list, if slightly out of date. The first four Classic Invaders have been recollected into two Complete Collection Invaders. Plus it doesn't have Robinson's three trades of his All New Invaders.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

The Rosters:

Captain America
    Namor the Sub-Mariner
    The Original Human Torch
    Toro
    Bucky
    Union Jack
    Spitfire
    Arakus the Vision

Thin Man
    Miss America
    Whizzer
    Blazing Skull
    Silver Scorpion
    Last edited by Rheged; 05-08-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Ooh it's back! And hopefully the last page reveal from the latest issue will add to the roster.

Original Sin Teaser
    originalsininvaders-58c23.jpg

BANNED

I'm really looking forward to that, Danvidar!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Ooh it's back! And hopefully the last page reveal from the latest issue will add to the roster.
    Yeah, I'm scrambling to find the old threads. I'll be editing the first posts with more info and rosters. If anyone has any info they want included, let me know.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Nice to see this thread back too, thanks Rheged.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Thanks for reviving this thread. The Invaders are my favorite team in the MU. Still can't wait for the return of Toro in #8...

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Well, in that case, don't forget the Whizzer.
    (A case could also be made for the Blazing Skull, the original Vision and Silver Scorpion, but, if you are going to include Miss America, the Whizzer's membership is unarguable.)

By the way, does anybody think Miss America Chavez would be a good fit in the invaders?

Peace
    She has the right name but is there any connection to any of the other members or their legacies? That is one of, to me, the core aspects of the team.

Radiance works since she is golden girls granddaughter.

BANNED

How did I miss this thread? Thanks Danvidar for pointing it out!

Here is what I said there about Toro now becoming a Inhuman
    Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    Toro has been labeled a mutant for years now......

I'm not opposed to him being a inhuman or anything but it doesn't really add up since no mist/smoke/artist detail was involved at all when his power first emerged. I guess Marvel can say that the "chemicals" his parents where working on/exposed to was in fact the T-Mist that would later effect his mother's pregnancy ......it could work I guess but I don't really see the point in switching Toro's origin unless they wanted to use him in a movie or something.
    *Shrug*

If marvel has plans for Toro then I'm not really bothered by the change but if they are just going to do it then put Toro back in the closet then it's a wasted opportunity and not really worth it.

BANNED

Default 50 years of Roy Thomas’ professional involvement in the comic book field (1965-2015)

https://benjaminherman.wordpress.com...ay-roy-thomas/
    The Invaders were created by Roy Thomas, out of his love for the Golden Age era characters. They first appeared in Avengers 71, cover date December 1969, though they weren't called Invaders, and they only consisted of Namor the Sub-Mariner, The Original Human Torch and Captain America. But Roy did have Jim Hammond yell their battle cry "Okay Axis, Here We Come!" in this issue when they fought Yellow Jacket, Black Panther, and Vision as champions in a cosmic contest between Kang and the Grandmaster.

The Invaders sort of appeared again in Avengers 97, cover date March 1972, as heroes "summoned" by Rick Jones during the Kree-Skrull War.

They finally appeared as a team named Invaders in an origin story that appeared in Giant Sized Invaders 1, cover date June 1975, with art by Frank Robbins, inked by Vinnie Colleta. And while Churchill gives them their name in the story, according to Roy Thomas' Recollection page in Giant Sized Avengers 1:

And thus was started the Invaders first ongoing, which ran for 41 issues, an Annual and this Giant Sized issue.
    Thanks for co-creating the Invaders Mr. Thomas

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

You can tell Cap was still fairly new to the super soldier business.Holding his shield like that might make for a more dynamic pose but being shot in the leg like that won't do much for his leading from the front intentions.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    You can tell Cap was still fairly new to the super soldier business.Holding his shield like that might make for a more dynamic pose but being shot in the leg like that won't do much for his leading from the front intentions.
    Considering they are super giant sized, walking on the planet, I don't think it's meant to be realistic.

Though, now that you mention it, it does look like he is getting shot in the right leg. LOL!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?