Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    LOL! Now, now, you had a great comic week a couple of weeks ago ... when the last Invaders came out, IIRC. But yes, I know what you mean. Makes me EAGER for next Wednesday to get here.

Besides loving everything I've seen of this preview, I think it's cool the way Robinson sets up things in advance, that you don't seem important, and then returns to it later in a larger fashion. I was wondering who Kurt Dagmar was, and it turns out the first mission we saw Bucky in, here in Invaders, was him hunting for Kurt Dagmar! Nicely done, Mr. Robinson.

Also. Loving Steve Pugh's art!
    It's the same grand epic storytelling he put into Starman

Incredible Member PhantomReporter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    It's the same grand epic storytelling he put into Starman
    Which is exactly what i wanted from AN-I

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomReporter View Post
    Which is exactly what i wanted from AN-I
    Preaching to the choir. This is also, what I want from Fantastic Four (we're getting there, I know there's an issue that focuses on Jim and the kids coming up and I can't wait!). Robinson is the best!

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

/signed

- Love reading WWII Legends
    - Love the Roster. I prefer this team more than the Avengers (And I'm a huge Thor/Loki Fan)
    - The Concept of Jim Hammond fascinates the hell out of me. A bio human made in such early days (Was he the first "cyborg?"). Stepping out of his chamber for the first time being exposed to oxygen which had him burst into flames. One of my favorite heroes and I find him light years more interesting than Johnny Storm.
    - All-New Invaders is an amazing book

Been reading some golden age MArvel stuff, haven't had my hands on Timely reprints since I was a kid...some really goofy stuff, some of it, and some random tie-ins to current continuity. In the story where the Torch returns after being buried in the desert, for example, we learn that Toro has been kidnapped and brainwashed into a Soviet agent (ala the Winter Soldier). Also, one of the Marvel handbooks that deals specifically with the golden age characters mentions an obscure caveman-like character and his setting, basically a pre-Inhuman Attilan. I LOVE this stuff, man--and Bill Everett's art is just a goddamned joy to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    /signed

- Love the Roster. I prefer this team more than the Avengers (And I'm a huge Thor/Loki Fan)
    - The Concept of Jim Hammond fascinates the hell out of me. A bio human made in such early days (Was he the first "cyborg?"). Stepping out of his chamber for the first time being exposed to oxygen which had him burst into flames. One of my favorite heroes and I find him light years more interesting than Johnny Storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Been reading some golden age MArvel stuff, haven't had my hands on Timely reprints since I was a kid...some really goofy stuff, some of it, and some random tie-ins to current continuity. In the story where the Torch returns after being buried in the desert, for example, we learn that Toro has been kidnapped and brainwashed into a Soviet agent (ala the Winter Soldier). Also, one of the Marvel handbooks that deals specifically with the golden age characters mentions an obscure caveman-like character and his setting, basically a pre-Inhuman Attilan. I LOVE this stuff, man--and Bill Everett's art is just a goddamned joy to behold.
    Welcome to the thread Godzilla2099 and Montressor! Godzilla2099, it sounds like you may find my recent essay on Jim Hammond interesting, so here, have a link. Montressor, I couldn't agree with you more about Bill Everett.

It looks like you both have come to the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    /signed

I feel the exact same way about Jim Hammond--he's my favorite Marvel character of all time, in fact. I was a huge fan of Roy Thomas' Invaders, and always felt the Torch got a raw deal with his quick dismissal in FF Annual #4. I was glad when Byrne brought him back in WCA, and I love that he now has what seems to be a solid place in the Marvel universe.

Count me among those weeping with joy about that cover and upcoming art. Even though it is a rough copy that cover is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Danvidar View Post
    Count me among those weeping with joy about that cover and upcoming art. Even though it is a rough copy that cover is great.
    Agreed! Any speculation on Derek Malloy's identity and/or origin?

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Asked this on the thread from the latest interview, but no harm in asking here too.

I've not picked up Invaders mainly because a) my pull list was pretty big already and b) I'm not overly attached (read: familiar) with the characters. So if you were to sell me on this book, how would you do it?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Rand's Other Fist View Post
    Asked this on the thread from the latest interview, but no harm in asking here too.

I've not picked up Invaders mainly because a) my pull list was pretty big already and b) I'm not overly attached (read: familiar) with the characters. So if you were to sell me on this book, how would you do it?

Thanks in advance!
    First off, welcome to the thread Danny Rand's Other Fist! Here's hoping you check out All New Invaders and stick around!

Now to answer your question I suspect you're a fan of Orson Randall (me too!), so I suspect that issue #12 will be worth your checking out if nothing else. As for why you should read (and buy) the series beyond that James Robinson really is, to me, the key. I've followed his work for years and he consistently delivers strong, compelling character development and stories that feel big enough in the initial offing that build to something so much bigger down the line. The guy respects the history of the characters he works with and the continuity of the universes they live in like nobody else working in comics today. And yet he manages to not get bogged down by it, moving his stories forward as driven by that history, rather than limited by it.

If you aren't familiar with Robinson's work his Starman run is the most thorough example, but the 80 or so issues of that series can be a bit daunting. For a faster introduction to his talents on a more compact scale I recommend his break-out series, The Golden Age, about the lives of DC's golden age heroes in the aftermath of WWII. The climax of that story still gets me excited no matter how many times I read it.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Why pick up all new invaders? Excellent characterization which honors continuity, mixed with an entertaining grasp of the Marvel U and alternate history.

I'm not a big team book reader, nor do I have knowledge of several characters who are or will be on this team: but I love this book. Every character is engaging, the stories are wildly entertaining and it is easy get hooked in thanks to Robinson's wonderful writing. He gets these characters and his big picture hints at many epic and insane things.

The art is good. A great serial speculative drama you crave than a once a month. I wish this double shipped more frequently.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Count me among those weeping with joy about that cover and upcoming art.
    i was really happy with it too. i would have been pleased with just Killraven showing up...but all those guys...wow!

BANNED

Definitely AWESOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    i was really happy with it too. i would have been pleased with just Killraven showing up...but all those guys...wow!

I'd forgotten the members, but here's a pic of them. I think adding Orson Randall is inspired. I've been looking forward to this arc, since Robinson first mentioned it. Can't wait to see Steve Pugh KILL it on the art.