Page 1 of 50 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default From a Golden Age: The Invaders Appreciation

The Invaders were created by Roy Thomas, out of his love for the Golden Age era characters. They first appeared in Avengers 71, cover date December 1969, though they weren't called Invaders, and they only consisted of Namor the Sub-Mariner, The Original Human Torch and Captain America. But Roy did have Jim Hammond yell their battle cry "Okay Axis, Here We Come!" in this issue when they fought Yellow Jacket, Black Panther, and Vision as champions in a cosmic contest between Kang and the Grandmaster.

The Invaders sort of appeared again in Avengers 97, cover date March 1972, as heroes "summoned" by Rick Jones during the Kree-Skrull War.

They finally appeared as a team named Invaders in an origin story that appeared in Giant Sized Invaders 1, cover date June 1975, with art by Frank Robbins, inked by Vinnie Colleta. And while Churchill gives them their name in the story, according to Roy Thomas' Recollection page in Giant Sized Avengers 1:

Back in 1966, Stan Lee had toyed briefly with the idea of teaming up the Sub-Mariner and the Hulk permanently <a precursor to the Defenders> in the pages of TALES TO ASTONISH, the mag they then shared. He even had a title he loved: THE INVADERS.

And thus was started the Invaders first ongoing, which ran for 41 issues, an Annual and this Giant Sized issue.
    Last edited by Rheged; 05-05-2014 at 01:16 AM.

BANNED

Invaders #1

RECOMMENDED READING

COLLECTED EDITIONS

Invaders Classic 1 (Collects Invaders #1-9, Giant-Size Invaders (1975) #1, and Marvel Premiere #29-30)
    Invaders Classic 2 (Collects Invaders #10-21 and Annual #1)
    Invaders Classic 3 (Collects Invaders #22-23 and #25-34)
    Invaders Classic 4 (Collects Invaders #35-41 and Invaders 1993 #1-4)
    Once an Invader
    New Invaders to End All Wars (Collects New Invaders #1-9 )
    Invaders Eve of Destruction (Collects Marvel Universe #1-7)
    Avengers / Invaders
    The Torch
    Invaders Now!

Namor John Byrne Visionaries v2 (Collects Namor #10-18)
    The Marvels Project
    Captain America The Man With No Face (Collects Captain America #43-48)
    Last edited by Rheged; 05-05-2014 at 01:16 AM.

BANNED

The Rosters:

Captain America
    Namor the Sub-Mariner
    The Original Human Torch
    Toro
    Bucky
    Union Jack
    Spitfire
    Arakus the Vision

Thin Man
    Miss America
    Whizzer
    Blazing Skull
    Silver Scorpion
    Last edited by Rheged; 05-08-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Ooh it's back! And hopefully the last page reveal from the latest issue will add to the roster.

Original Sin Teaser
    originalsininvaders-58c23.jpg

BANNED

I'm really looking forward to that, Danvidar!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Ooh it's back! And hopefully the last page reveal from the latest issue will add to the roster.
    Yeah, I'm scrambling to find the old threads. I'll be editing the first posts with more info and rosters. If anyone has any info they want included, let me know.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Nice to see this thread back too, thanks Rheged.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Thanks for reviving this thread. The Invaders are my favorite team in the MU. Still can't wait for the return of Toro in #8...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    Nice to see this thread back too, thanks Rheged.
    Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    Thanks for reviving this thread. The Invaders are my favorite team in the MU. Still can't wait for the return of Toro in #8...
    No problem, as they are one of my favorites, also. I'm actually trying to figure out if I should I redo the whole Countdown To Invaders thread or not.

Speaking of Toro ... Did everyone see this tidbit that James Robinson at C2E2?

Robinson then revealed that Toro – the sidekick of the Golden Age Human Torch – will be revealed in the pages of "All-New Invaders" as an Inhuman himself
    Not sure what I think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    No problem, as they are one of my favorites, also. I'm actually trying to figure out if I should I redo the whole Countdown To Invaders thread or not.

Speaking of Toro ... Did everyone see this tidbit that James Robinson at C2E2?

Not sure what I think about that.
    Yeah, I am not sure what to make of it either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Danvidar View Post
    Yeah, I am not sure what to make of it either.
    Well, after 4 issues of ALL NEW INVADERS and 3 issues of FANTASTIC FOUR, I'm starting to trust Robinson, but I'm curious as to how Toro is both a mutant and an Inhuman. Also ... does this mean he looks different, now that he's been exposed to the Terrigen mists?

Well, after 4 issues of ALL NEW INVADERS and 3 issues of FANTASTIC FOUR, I'm starting to trust Robinson, but I'm curious as to how Toro is both a mutant and an Inhuman. Also ... does this mean he looks different, now that he's been exposed to the Terrigen mists?
    That would not surprise me, this is probably an attempt to distinguish him more from the Torches.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Danvidar View Post
    That would not surprise me, this is probably an attempt to distinguish him more from the Torches.
    I suppose I could live that, though I think the Toro fans might not care for it as much.

I suppose I could live that, though I think the Toro fans might not care for it as much.
    I'm OK with it. I thought Robinson did a good job on Earth 2 updating the characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    I'm OK with it. I thought Robinson did a good job on Earth 2 updating the characters.
    Haven't really read his DC work, but that's a good point. IIRC, you had some cool ideas about updating Toro, also.