Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member PhantomReporter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Always nice to see what you wrote earlier was actually good stuff.

How cool! I bet it is a great story about your grandfather. I keep thinking I need to write down my Mom's story, as she is Okinawan and was 11 years old when the island was invaded by the US. My maternal uncle wrote a book about some of the family stuff, but it's all in Japanese. I need to get that translated.

I brought the first Classic Invaders volume with me to read and refresh my poor memory.
    Well bashful as i am about plugging my work, you can find it on Amazon as a download - Forever Torn by Jason Greenfield. Its sitting there all lonely at the moment but i hope within 6-12 months to upload all its brothers and sisters - lots of comic book and sci-fi/fantasy inspired stuff to come, which is sure to disappoint any audience i've already built!! 'But but .. he started out all literary and good and now its all Unseen Men and time travel!!!'

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomReporter View Post
    Well bashful as i am about plugging my work, you can find it on Amazon as a download - Forever Torn by Jason Greenfield. Its sitting there all lonely at the moment but i hope within 6-12 months to upload all its brothers and sisters - lots of comic book and sci-fi/fantasy inspired stuff to come, which is sure to disappoint any audience i've already built!! 'But but .. he started out all literary and good and now its all Unseen Men and time travel!!!'
    LOL! Indeed. But if David Liss can do it, so can you.

Thanks for the info! Sounds even better. Will download it, and hopefully get a chance to read it. The TBR pile is overwhelming.

LOL! Indeed. But if David Liss can do it, so can you.

Thanks for the info! Sounds even better. Will download it, and hopefully get a chance to read it. The TBR pile is overwhelming.
    Well Forever Torn is the literary one but when i get round to uploading Unseen Man and others you'll get all the benefit of a few decades of intense Marvel and DC comic book study and love!! David Liss btw is someone i like very much - did you check out Mystery Men? Here's hoping he does a follow up. V interesting to see the MU of 1932 and to speculate what happened to the Mystery Men by 1939 or so as they weren't in evidence (yet) by then.

I also think a couple of Timely characters could show up in a Mystery Men story. A young Dan Kane before he became Captain Terror would work.

I have a huge interest in those forgotten eras - very interested in the Wonders of 1907 as seen in Runaways.

I brought the first Classic Invaders volume with me to read and refresh my poor memory.
    I bought most of it when it originally came out on the newsstands . . . and the issue I was missing (regular Invaders #1) was reprinted in Giant-Size Invaders #2 those many (many!) years later.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomReporter View Post
    Well Forever Torn is the literary one but when i get round to uploading Unseen Man and others you'll get all the benefit of a few decades of intense Marvel and DC comic book study and love!! David Liss btw is someone i like very much - did you check out Mystery Men? Here's hoping he does a follow up. V interesting to see the MU of 1932 and to speculate what happened to the Mystery Men by 1939 or so as they weren't in evidence (yet) by then.

I also think a couple of Timely characters could show up in a Mystery Men story. A young Dan Kane before he became Captain Terror would work.

I have a huge interest in those forgotten eras - very interested in the Wonders of 1907 as seen in Runaways.
    Yes, I did enjoy the Mystery Men, as well as Liss' historical novel, Conspiracy of Paper. Though I'm kind of ambivalent about retconning in super-heroes before 1939. I suspect that's my Namor bias, but it sort of undermines the claim of him and Torch being the first Marvels. Though, of course, there was also Angel.

I'd completely forgotten the Wonders of 1907. I did mention my poor memory, right? :P

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I bought most of it when it originally came out on the newsstands . . . and the issue I was missing (regular Invaders #1) was reprinted in Giant-Size Invaders #2 those many (many!) years later.
    How fortunate for you! It was tough back then, when you missed an issue.

I had issues with the art when Invaders was coming out on the news stand, so I ending up buying the collected trades.

Yes, I did enjoy the Mystery Men, as well as Liss' historical novel, Conspiracy of Paper. Though I'm kind of ambivalent about retconning in super-heroes before 1939. I suspect that's my Namor bias, but it sort of undermines the claim of him and Torch being the first Marvels. Though, of course, there was also Angel.

I'd completely forgotten the Wonders of 1907. I did mention my poor memory, right? :P
    I recall when MM was first solicited, there was some speculation about the characters and it was suggested that some might be backdated versions of existing Timely characters. Honestly i would have preferred that but they were very specifically not.

Ulysses died but his empowering necklace thingy could easily make a reappearance - i had the notion that there were certain similarities in look and origin (Greek Myth) between him and Roko the Amazing.

Surgeon - he could have gone insane and developed into the Dr Nemesis foe Surgeon of Death (or something similar) or become Dr Denton, the phantom of the underworld by 1940 - a doctor and master of disguise.

The Operative. He had a rather definitive origin but he might have ended up teaming with two other guys as one of the 3 X's.

Aviatrix - nice to have another female hero.

The Revenant - good character. Now seemingly the first black hero.

There's all manner of reasons why the Mystery Men could have been obscure and mostly unknown by 1939. None were powered except Ulysses who died so you could call them the last of the pulp heroes - after all Night Raven and Dominic Fortune among others predated Namor.

The Wonders again are a lost generation - i had a few ideas about a story there.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Hey, organizing and pre-reading is pre-writing!

I haven't started on the interior yet, but my front yard is starting to look like someone lives here.... which I haven't for a few months. O_O

Good choice!

I don't see why not. That's the origin story, right?
    Glad to hear real life is getting under control there...

Giant sized Invaders #1 sounds like a good call.

Oh and while on the subject of that Invaders Classic volume 1, Cheap Graphic Novels has it even cheaper than In stock (though you do have to pay for shipping.)

http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/_s...&x=-905&y=-251
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

While we don't have an Invaders issue this week, we do have an appearance by Jim in Fantastic Four #6, and believe me, it's going to impact him. If you don't want the full issue spoilers and want just Jim's part:
    spoilers:
    In Camp Hammond, the FF children get upset enough that Alex can't calm them down and summons Jim for help, adding that a newbie agent told them something that set them off, causing Jim to wonder about SHIELD training or lack thereof. And when they reach the children, they learn terrible news: Dragon Man is sentenced to be deactivated permanently, with the agent earlier telling them that, an an android, it doesn't count as murder, because androids aren't human. The look on Jim's face says it all.
    end of spoilers
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

No spoiler reading for me, but I'm extra psyched to pick up today's issue now that you've told me Jim plays a big part!

Fantastic - its great to see Torch getting multi title appearances respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    While we don't have an Invaders issue this week, we do have an appearance by Jim in Fantastic Four #6, and believe me, it's going to impact him. If you don't want the full issue spoilers and want just Jim's part:
    Man oh man. I just read it and I could feel the pain and the anger rising off the page. I'm really looking froward to seeing what they've got in store for him in FF almost even more than the always great ANI.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    Man oh man. I just read it and I could feel the pain and the anger rising off the page. I'm really looking froward to seeing what they've got in store for him in FF almost even more than the always great ANI.
    By the way, how many pages worth does Jim get in that issue of FF?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, how many pages worth does Jim get in that issue of FF?
    2 pages.
    It's a double page spread though... but a big scene.

Hear ye, hear ye fellow Golden Age fans; I just had another essay published along similar lines to the one about comparing Namor and Kal-El at the same site. This time I take a look at our favorite Fire Bug, Jim Hammond and the themes he shares in common with other fictional characters. Enjoy

Very interesting - the preview for AN-Invaders 7 has UJ and Spitfire in the pacific circa July 1945 - no sign of Whizzer and Miss America.

While there's no massive reason the British Invaders shouldn't be in on a mission against the Japanese, despite having seemingly said goodbye to the team in late April, i wonder if their presence is an oversight by James Robinson who forgot Whizzer and Miss America were members at this time? Of course if the latter two show up as well, then that negates my concern.