Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Why can't DC be more like Marvel?

I love the DC characters but I hate DC. Editorial can't do ANYTHING right, and its getting pretty damn old.

You would think that DC would be sick of always coming behind Marvel, in just about every field except for tv shows and video games. Before we know it Marvel will probably make up that ground as well. DC editorial is so complacent and they don't look ahead enough. They should be seeking the next Geoff Johns-type visionary. DC just chases off all the superstar writers they got that aren't named Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder and Grant Morrison.

Why doesn't DC make big announcements at conventions, what's the point of them showing up? You've got to work the audience, give them stuff to be excited about. Now events are not everyone's cup of tea, but Marvel has several 'events' going on affecting different corners of their universe. Green Lantern and Superman have crossovers, but where is your Suicide Squad-based event or your Wonder Woman-based event. Line-wide events are fine, but they should do MORE smaller events that prop-up different corners of the new52. Right now Marvel has a Wolverine mini, a Spider-Man event mini, a line-wide event mini! DC doesn't have anything like that going on right now. I just remembered MUltiversity, but that's been in the works for a looooooong time. Still doesn't compare to what Marvel has going on. DC has a Green Lantern crossover, but they should make it a mini with tie-in issues. Godhead would seem much more IMPORTANT if done that way. DC's got to think of their comics more like movies and they need to be looking for BLOCKBUSTERS!

DC needs to have a better media presence, Marvel has their q&a features, where's DC's? They are probably still scared about being asked questions about the New 52. Marvel has made controversial moves like OMD, but you don't see them ducking and covering.

Marvel's collected editions department puts DC's to shame. Marvel restarts volumes with most new creative teams, meaning you get better collections. If I wanted to start with Geoff Johns Superman I would have to get trade volumes 1-5. A volume 6 without 1-5 just looks dumb on a shelf. Marvel has both Hawkeye Uncanny Avengers in nice all-in-one oversized volumes. Azzarello's Wonder Woman and Morrison's Action Comics would be perfect for this. They probably would do it with Morrison's action comics eventually. DC is only just now omnibusing JSA and Green Lantern.

Forever Evil was cool, but you still shouldn't have Geoff Johns write all of the important events. If Johns was out of the picture, who would write their big events? Snyder? So far, he's been mainly entrenched in the bat-office. Morrison? He seems to be losing interest in DC. Both of his scheduled DC projects have been in the pipeline for years, and he doesn't write in-continuity monthlies for DC anymore.

DC is in the unique position where they can afford to let their whole line wither away as long as batman sells. People will buy anything that bat related. Bat-zombies are JUST as bad as Marvel-zombies. As long as people gobble up Batman, DC won't put the maximum effort they can into Superman or the others.

Marvel is clearly WINNING. Marvel has Brevoot, Alonso and other mouth pieces that are always out there. Where's DC's big mouths, promoting their newest titles as the greatest thing ever? DC needs much more bravado in marketing thier product. I hate that DC seems to be on the losing end so often. One edge DC always had over Marvel was better recognition among the general public, but NOW thanks to the Marvel movies they are losing that ground as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I love the DC characters but I hate DC. Editorial can't do ANYTHING right, and its getting pretty damn old.

You would think that DC would be sick of always coming behind Marvel, in just about every field except for tv shows and video games. Before we know it Marvel will probably make up that ground as well. DC editorial is so complacent and they don't look ahead enough. They should be seeking the next Geoff Johns-type visionary. DC just chases off all the superstar writers they got that aren't named Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder and Grant Morrison.

Why doesn't DC make big announcements at conventions, what's the point of them showing up? You've got to work the audience, give them stuff to be excited about. Now events are not everyone's cup of tea, but Marvel has several 'events' going on affecting different corners of their universe. Green Lantern and Superman have crossovers, but where is your Suicide Squad-based event or your Wonder Woman-based event. Line-wide events are fine, but they should do MORE smaller events that prop-up different corners of the new52. Right now Marvel has a Wolverine mini, a Spider-Man event mini, a line-wide event mini! DC doesn't have anything like that going on right now. I just remembered MUltiversity, but that's been in the works for a looooooong time. Still doesn't compare to what Marvel has going on. DC has a Green Lantern crossover, but they should make it a mini with tie-in issues. Godhead would seem much more IMPORTANT if done that way. DC's got to think of their comics more like movies and they need to be looking for BLOCKBUSTERS!

DC needs to have a better media presence, Marvel has their q&a features, where's DC's? They are probably still scared about being asked questions about the New 52. Marvel has made controversial moves like OMD, but you don't see them ducking and covering.

Marvel's collected editions department puts DC's to shame. Marvel restarts volumes with most new creative teams, meaning you get better collections. If I wanted to start with Geoff Johns Superman I would have to get trade volumes 1-5. A volume 6 without 1-5 just looks dumb on a shelf. Marvel has both Hawkeye Uncanny Avengers in nice all-in-one oversized volumes. Azzarello's Wonder Woman and Morrison's Action Comics would be perfect for this. They probably would do it with Morrison's action comics eventually. DC is only just now omnibusing JSA and Green Lantern.

Forever Evil was cool, but you still shouldn't have Geoff Johns write all of the important events. If Johns was out of the picture, who would write their big events? Snyder? So far, he's been mainly entrenched in the bat-office. Morrison? He seems to be losing interest in DC. Both of his scheduled DC projects have been in the pipeline for years, and he doesn't write in-continuity monthlies for DC anymore.

DC is in the unique position where they can afford to let their whole line wither away as long as batman sells. People will buy anything that bat related. Bat-zombies are JUST as bad as Marvel-zombies. As long as people gobble up Batman, DC won't put the maximum effort they can into Superman or the others.

Marvel is clearly WINNING. Marvel has Brevoot, Alonso and other mouth pieces that are always out there. Where's DC's big mouths, promoting their newest titles as the greatest thing ever? DC needs much more bravado in marketing thier product. I hate that DC seems to be on the losing end so often. One edge DC always had over Marvel was better recognition among the general public, but NOW thanks to the Marvel movies they are losing that ground as well!
    Winning what exactly?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

This seems like a strange post, coming off the back of your Nelson Muntz 'Haw Haw' style dig over on the Jeff Lemire thread.

If you seem to enjoy Marvel 'winning' so much then why post this??

Mighty Member

Line-wide events are fine, but they should do MORE smaller events that prop-up different corners of the new52. Right now Marvel has a Wolverine mini, a Spider-Man event mini, a line-wide event mini! DC doesn't have anything like that going on right now
    Yeah because Wolverine and Spider-man are such small, under-used corners of the MU.

The Earth 2 weekly just started and Futures End has been going on a while (plus we just had a WHOLE month of Futures End related one shots), those both heavily feature B-list and below characters.

Forever Evil was cool, but you still shouldn't have Geoff Johns write all of the important events
    Why not? He's good at it.

A lot of those things you think Marvel is doing better is a matter of taste. I do not mind having a Vol 6 on the shelf without vols 1-5 in front of it, I don't care that DC doesn't make big announcements at cons because comics news tends to get drowned out when they do, most of their con panels DO have Q&A sessions, etc.

If I wanted Marvel I would read it (and I read some), but DC being "not like Marvel" provides me additional books to read.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    This seems like a strange post, coming off the back of your Nelson Muntz 'Haw Haw' style dig over on the Jeff Lemire thread.

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    This is the dumbest thread I have replied to in a long time. OP is clearly trolling at best, but that's an awful lot to type just to try to troll.
    These basically.

Best we stop posting in this thread.

Marvel doesn't have Lobdell, Levitz, or Nocenti.

But nearly all their books are $3.99 and double ship. Plus constant events, more so than DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    These basically.

Man you make so much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    If I wanted Marvel I would read it (and I read some), but DC being "not like Marvel" provides me additional books to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    This is the dumbest thread I have replied to in a long time. OP is clearly trolling at best, but that's an awful lot to type just to try to troll.
    These sum up my opinions on this thread.
    Plus i don't want to see Aquaman joining Darkseid and Desaad to destroy the multiverse

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    If I wanted to start with Geoff Johns Superman I would have to get trade volumes 1-5. A volume 6 without 1-5 just looks dumb on a shelf.
    I'm speechless...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    These basically.

He won't respond to anything that challenges him, post away.

Make it into a "Ambush Bug Appreciation Thread" for all anyone cares.
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 10-12-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

So, by being more like Marvel you mean having most book 3.99+, shitty paper quality, constantly relaunched titles, constant pointless events and the double shipping (I had to drop my only Marvel title, ASM there is no way I could afford that twice a month). As a new comic book reader (got into comics about a year ago) it was a heck of a lot easier to jump into DC then Marvel, and that says a lot as my old man was as Marvel as they came so growing up I was exposed too soo much Marvel stuff.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Marvel doesn't have Lobdell, Levitz, or Nocenti.
    And if they did, they might be better.
    WHO DAT?!!

Mighty Member

Can't do ANYTHING right? Please, DC has a lot of good books.

Spectacular Member

Why can't a woman be more like a man?