All-New Member twentymilesoutoftown's Avatar

Default A Good Stopping Point (Walking Dead)

I just started reading The Walking Dead. I've read some interviews with the writer and it seems that there's no end in sight. Comixology has a sale going on right now and I bought the first three volumes on a whim. I've seen the first two seasons of the show. I'm not interested in reading a never-ending story zombie story. Is there a decent place to jump off and feel satisfied? Does anybody wish that they would have stopped after issue...? I'm not trying to offend or upset anybody. I just want to know if there's a logical stopping point (without waiting another ten years for the actual end).

A while ago I read the first 96 issues via six issue trades. That got me current at the time and I haven’t had a desire to read any newer issues.

I’d recommend reading to the end of the Governor story line which ends in #48 IIRC.

I was not a WD reader. During some previous comiXology sale I went through the same process you're going through now. What are the good stopping points, or jumping off points, or break points?

At that time I read up to 24. That ends before the intro of the governor. 48 is another good stop after the governor. After that, and I've not read this far, I think I found that 96 would be a good stop, and it appears that 126 might also be a good stop as 127 has the time jump forward a couple years.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

126 is prefect stopping point.

But 127 is a great jump on for new readers.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Quote Originally Posted by SwampyCA View Post
    A while ago I read the first 96 issues via six issue trades. That got me current at the time and I haven’t had a desire to read any newer issues.

I’d recommend reading to the end of the Governor story line which ends in #48 IIRC.
    Ever since the end of the Governor story line TWD has gone down hill. So I second this recommendation (although I think it concluded in a later issue but not able to check atm).

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    126 is prefect stopping point.

But 127 is a great jump on for new readers.
    I've been reading the series for about 10 years now, so basically since the beginning and I second this. I think the whole series so far is worth reading, but I'm finding it a bit old now and there was a dramatic shift in tone after All Out War. It's almost like a different zombie story entirely.

All-New Member twentymilesoutoftown's Avatar

#48 sounds like a winner. Thanks, everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Weekend Warrior View Post
    Ever since the end of the Governor story line TWD has gone down hill. So I second this recommendation (although I think it concluded in a later issue but not able to check atm).
    You know, I liked a lot of the prison storyline, but I really felt like the governor was such a cartoon villain, I've never understood why people thought that was the high water mark of the series. I think it's markedly better after he's out of the book. I actually find Negan to be less ridiculous than the governor.