Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by santino27 View Post
    Storm can stay as-is, but Dazzler just looks silly.
    It's worse than silly.

Why would a Dance Musician look like a Punk rocker?

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Oh I disagree. Like Priest, I assume (and I swear several female writers have said) they don't want to be pigeon hold as just writing women i.e. Don't just call when you need a writer for a female solo series, call me when you need a writer for the Avengers.

That said, I am very excited for Wilson to take over X-men; a concept that works perfectly in the Xverse
    I agree 100%. I like that Marvel is making some effort to increase the number of female creators, but they almost always put them on female led books, and often ones that are perceived by many fans as "unimportant" to the overall universe, regardless of quality. I'd love to see a woman write Uncanny X-Men, or Avengers or one of the franchise leading titles. (When did that last happen? Ever? I don't honestly know.). It would be the clearest possible message from Marvel that they're serious about female talent.

Realistically Kathryn Immonen's Sif for example was always going to struggle despite it's great writing and art; had she been writing Thor, than it wouldn't have been cancelled because it dipped below the 20000 sales line.

I think Daymare is right in that a female writer does have an advantage in writing a female character, and getting the right attributes on the page; but I think a quota system would run the risk of ghettoising female writers. It could also stop them from telling the stories they want to. (Marjorie Liu for example told the only decent iceman story I can think of.)

And to be selfish, there's some male writers whose work on the female solos I've really enjoyed, and don't want to lose. Soule's she Hulk for example.

I'll pick up Wilson's X-Men, and she seems like a good fit for the title. (I dropped it a while back because of the "meh" factor.). I hope Marvel allow her to use the team in a more franchise defining way, and not as the fourth tier X-book.
    "Self has no time for this."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

This is probably a test arc... hope Wilson gets the title full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    It's worse than silly.

It's 2014 and they wear everything from anacondas to raw meat these days?
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

It's worse than silly.

Pretty sure because some writers or artists latch onto trends they think are cool when in truth they aren't. Some thought light based power, music and punk despite it being the wrong decade for such to make sense... but then again maybe the punk look is supposed to represent the trauma she endured.

I personally preferred the Agent of SHIELD look.

It's worse than silly.

Because she's not just a dance musician. She's a singer who loves singing. Any style or genre is something she enjoys. More to the point, she's really angry right now. So a look that reflects her more aggressive mood made sense for her.

I will say that I'm not a fan of the look. I don't mind her going punk, I just think Anka didn't do a great job designing her outfit. They should've asked Jamie McKelvie to come up with her new look. It would've been glorious and everyone would've loved it.

On Mohawk Storm: It's my favourite Storm. Mohawk Storm is Badass Storm. I'm not a fan of the whole Aloof Noble Goddess take on the character. '90s cartoon Storm doesn't do much for me. I much prefer her with an attitude, and a certain ruthlessness.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Wilson is a novelist, too, though. She said when she took on Ms. Marvel that she was working on a novel so I'm scared she might not take it on full-time due to time issues

Greg Rucka and Marjorie Liu have written two titles at once in addition to their novel-writing careers, so I hope she would do it if offered.

I do hope Marjorie Liu comes back to comics, though. She's been at cons this year and I think she's lecturing at a comics-writing class at... MIT? But I haven't seen a new comic by her in a while. I love her writing.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

OMG I love that variant with Emma and Dazzler! Emma looks a bit like Madonna and Dazzler like P!nk

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    I agree 100%. I like that Marvel is making some effort to increase the number of female creators, but they almost always put them on female led books, and often ones that are perceived by many fans as "unimportant" to the overall universe, regardless of quality. I'd love to see a woman write Uncanny X-Men, or Avengers or one of the franchise leading titles. (When did that last happen? Ever? I don't honestly know.). It would be the clearest possible message from Marvel that they're serious about female talent.
    There's basically never been a leading title written by a woman. Of all the comics Marvel launched in the '60s, only one has ever actually had a female writer, with Ann Nocenti's run on Daredevil. Women did write a few notable comics in the '80s, particularly Louise Simonson, who wrote New Mutants and X-Factor for a while. Other than that? Women have gotten fairly minor books. They get satellite titles. Which is annoying. It's also annoying that when a woman gets an ongoing, it's almost always a female-led title. They announced an Ant-Man title, and Nick Spencer's writing it. Why Spencer? Why not KSD, or Kathryn Immonen, or Jen Van Meter, or Marjorie Liu (even if I'm not actually a fan of her work)?

I'll pick up Wilson's X-Men, and she seems like a good fit for the title. (I dropped it a while back because of the "meh" factor.). I hope Marvel allow her to use the team in a more franchise defining way, and not as the fourth tier X-book.
    She's writing a single arc. It's going to be a tertiary satellite title. When it was launched with Brian Wood as writer, it was arguably a secondary title. Now, it's tertiary. Even if Wilson was kept on it - which she won't be - it wouldn't be an important book.

Marvel seems frustratingly reluctant to let women write important books these days. When Rick Remender leaves Captain America, I doubt KSD's going to be the one who replaces him. It's more likely to be Charles Soule. If Fantastic Four gets relaunched, Jen Van Meter's not going to be the writer. They'd more likely give it to Nick Spencer. If a book is genuinely important, it's going to go to a man.

I'm hoping Marvel will prove me wrong at some point. I really, really want them to put a female writer on a major title, one that's been in more-or-less continuous publication since the '60s. At this point, I don't think it's even possible for it to happen any earlier than 2016. For 2015, women will be exclusively restricted to female-led books, and maybe a tertiary satellite or two.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald_616 View Post
    OMG I love that variant with Emma and Dazzler! Emma looks a bit like Madonna and Dazzler like P!nk

im fine with their looks

BANNED

It's worse than silly.

Nostalgia is all the rage

I look forward to the Gamora comic and while I love everything Willow has done I'm skipping her X-Book
    Last edited by Smoov-E; 10-12-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Realistically Kathryn Immonen's Sif for example was always going to struggle despite it's great writing and art; had she been writing Thor, than it wouldn't have been cancelled because it dipped below the 20000 sales line.
    THIS!!! When will a female become an architect? When will the whole line of a comic section be driven by a female? The sad part is I don't even hold out hope (on any level) that a female will take over from Hickman

I think Daymare is right in that a female writer does have an advantage in writing a female character, and getting the right attributes on the page; but I think a quota system would run the risk of ghettoising female writers. It could also stop them from telling the stories they want to. (Marjorie Liu for example told the only decent iceman story I can think of.)
    Marjorie Liu taking over Astonishing X-men (which was, at one point, one of the lead titles) is the highest "accolade" I can think of for a female writer in the last 5 years. I agree that female writers have an advantage BUT (like with all things) that doesn't mean they are (by default) the best or better on female lead comics. The best LGBT romance I've read was by Kieron Gillen in Young Avengers (making Wiccan/Hulkling far more complex that openly gay writer Allan Heinberg managed = don't get me wrong, Heinberg is a god, but in terms of the LGBT couple, Gillen did it better).

And to be selfish, there's some male writers whose work on the female solos I've really enjoyed, and don't want to lose. Soule's she Hulk for example.
    I too LOVE Soule's She Hulk!!! I wouldn't want him taken off it, just so a female writer is put on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Ditto!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steve2275 View Post

im fine with their looks
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!!!

Yay! I've been dying for a Gamora series.

Gee I tell you what being a comic book fan is not kind to my wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Daymare View Post
    Sounds like there will be a couple more at least once some of the multiple events wrap up...Black Vortex and Wolverines but that was all table/floor rumour at this moment.
    X-23 solo after Wolverines is over. Im counting on it.
    Otherwise I have to dust off my pitchforks and torches
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    Yup. Marvel could potentially be publishing:
    Angela: Asgard's Assassin
    Black Widow
    Captain Marvel
    Gamora
    Ms. Marvel
    She-Hulk
    Silk
    Spider-Gwen
    Spider-Woman
    Storm
    Thor

That's eleven books that are female led. That's a huge improvement from where we were just a few years ago. Now hopefully some of the new books can stick like Ms. Marvel.

EDIT: Forgot Squirrel Girl and X-Men
    Damm you know my problem, iseriously is Marvel trying to bankrupt its fans you have thirteen female solos and i will be collect about 10 of them (She Hulk, Storm and Squirrel Girl) might have to do without Ms Marvel as well, you have about 4/5 events i still need to get (Orginal Sin, Spider-verse, Black Vortex, Trial of Jean Grey and Inhumanity) my team books (x-force, avengers, new avengers, uncanny x-men, GOTG) and thats before you get into the male lead solos, seriously i'm just glad that some are ending (new warriors, fantastic four) it gives me some breathing space.
    Truth is the best policy