Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Am i the only here who found the GG movie's Gamora a let down? And i'm supposed to be excited the comic is being written by one of the co-writers of that specific disappointment?
    I would jump at a Gamora solo book, but i want the awesome Gamora of the comic books, not the diluted weakling we got in the movie.

Also, apologies to Ms. Wilson in advance, but despite liking her work in Ms. Marvel, the X-Men title has been mostly a boring affair since it's inception, and i'm not sticking around anymore. If her arc gets a good word of mouth, i might pick the trade afterwards.
    Last edited by Fifolet; 10-13-2014 at 04:16 AM.

Love that G. Willow Wilson is joining X-men. She's done so much to endear herself with Ms. Marvel. She has shown just how good she is at writing strong female characters. Her being on a book that's full of strong female characters just puts a smile on my face.

For Gamora, I'm surprised she hasn't gotten a solo series by now. Given how much her profile has grown since the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, she should've had one by now for Marvel to cash in. Better late than never I guess.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifolet View Post
    Am i the only here who found the GG movie's Gamora a let down? And i'm supposed to be excited the comic is being written by one of the co-writers of that specific disappointment?
    I would jump at a Gamora solo book, but i want the awesome Gamora of the comic books, not the diluted weakling we got in the movie.

Also, apologies to Ms. Wilson in advance, but despite liking her work in Ms. Marvel, the X-Men title has been mostly a boring affair since it's inception, and i'm not sticking around anymore. If her arc gets a good word of mouth, i might pick the trade afterwards.
    Supposedly very little of the authors Gamora appeared in the movie, most of it was rewritten so maybe it will be better than movie version.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifolet View Post
    Actually, she was the only part of the movie that I didn't hate outright. She was poorly handled, yes. But less so than pretty much every other character or concept in the film. All of the important notes where there.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Wilson is a novelist, too, though. She said when she took on Ms. Marvel that she was working on a novel so I'm scared she might not take it on full-time due to time issues

Greg Rucka and Marjorie Liu have written two titles at once in addition to their novel-writing careers, so I hope she would do it if offered.

I do hope Marjorie Liu comes back to comics, though. She's been at cons this year and I think she's lecturing at a comics-writing class at... MIT? But I haven't seen a new comic by her in a while. I love her writing.
    Hopefully things change for the better all around by 2nd quarter of next year.

And yeah, Liu also has a really good voice for characters. I'm thinking there will be a huge shift in titles after the events are over, but right now I can't think of her having anything to write unless she gets back to something she already wrote.

BANNED

SO is this the real Gamora? Movie gamora was not the real Gamora. nor is whats happening in GotG.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    THIS!!! When will a female become an architect? When will the whole line of a comic section be driven by a female? The sad part is I don't even hold out hope (on any level) that a female will take over from Hickman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    She's writing a single arc. It's going to be a tertiary satellite title. When it was launched with Brian Wood as writer, it was arguably a secondary title. Now, it's tertiary. Even if Wilson was kept on it - which she won't be - it wouldn't be an important book.

Marvel seems frustratingly reluctant to let women write important books these days. When Rick Remender leaves Captain America, I doubt KSD's going to be the one who replaces him. It's more likely to be Charles Soule. If Fantastic Four gets relaunched, Jen Van Meter's not going to be the writer. They'd more likely give it to Nick Spencer. If a book is genuinely important, it's going to go to a man.

I'm hoping Marvel will prove me wrong at some point. I really, really want them to put a female writer on a major title, one that's been in more-or-less continuous publication since the '60s. At this point, I don't think it's even possible for it to happen any earlier than 2016. For 2015, women will be exclusively restricted to female-led books, and maybe a tertiary satellite or two.
    Marvel only gives important titles to exclusive writers, which means that all the female creators would need to sign up an exclusive contract and give up any other comics project (Jen Van Meter is working for Valiant too, KSD is helming the relaunch of the Aliens/Predator franchise, and so on...)

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Actually, she was the only part of the movie that I didn't hate outright. She was poorly handled, yes. But less so than pretty much every other character or concept in the film. All of the important notes where there.
    I had the exact opposite reaction. I don't care about the movies being beholden to the comics because there's no reason they could. Star-Lord and Drax acted nothing like their comic counterparts but were at least extremely entertaining. Gamora meanwhile was just pathetic. I give props to Zoe Saldana for working with what she had but James Gunn really did a number on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Marvel only gives important titles to exclusive writers, which means that all the female creators would need to sign up an exclusive contract and give up any other comics project (Jen Van Meter is working for Valiant too, KSD is helming the relaunch of the Aliens/Predator franchise, and so on...)
    Van Meter and KSD might be willing to drop their current non-Marvel (and non-creator-owned) stuff to go exclusive, if it meant getting a bigger title. The question is whether Marvel has actually made that offer to any female writers. Unfortunately, we're never going to be told if offers have been made and declined, or if the offers just aren't being put out there. Truthfully, I'm inclined to suspect the latter.

ezola19

Quote Originally Posted by santino27 View Post
    So men aren't supposed to be reading female led books? Be reasonable. Nobody objects to female writers on male led books when it happens... there shouldn't be a mandate that only female writers can write female led books.
    I'd like to point out that there are plenty of male writers on female led books, but the reverse is very rare. Off the top of my head, Ann Nocenti on Klarion, unless you count male-led/majority team books then add Gail Simone on Secret Six and Marguerite Bennett co-writing the team book Earth 2.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    I thought every other Guardian character in the movie worked pretty well. I'm not drawing comparisons with their comics counterparts, just looking at them as movie characters. The exception for me was Gamora. Apart from a few one liners, she served basically as a romantic interest to Quill. She had no arc. Nebula turned out a better and more interesting character with almost no screen time.
    I don't know. Perhaps i'm biased after all regarding the adaptation to the screen from the comics universe. All i can say is i had high expectations for the character in the movie and it turned out to be a huge letdown for me.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Ugh, is Dazzler still in her stupid Punk phase? The sooner she and Storm return to their normal looks the better.
    Come on, the previous looks were lame, now they are tough chicks. Let them stay that way.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================