View Poll Results: DC vs. Marvel: where do you tend to fall?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • I buy DC and no Marvel comic books

36 18.00%
  • I buy mostly DC but some Marvel comic books

73 36.50%
  • I buy pretty much equally between DC and Marvel comic books

27 13.50%
  • I buy some DC but more Marvel comic books

30 15.00%
  • I don't buy DC comic books, but I do buy Marvel comic books

12 6.00%
  • other? (please explain)

17 8.50%
  • I can't read.

5 2.50%
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default DC vs. Marvel: Where do you stand?

Just thought a thread with a poll may be an easier way to see how this really shapes out on this side.

If I absolutely had to choose, I'd be DC. It's a bit like Sophie's Choice though, as I love them both.

Marvel doesn't publish Wonder Woman though. So, DC wins on her account.

EDIT: Well, I suppose I should have waited for the pol questions before posting. Hahaha.

I buy more or less equal amounts from both companies, with a smattering of 'indy' titles on the side. I think the exact count is 37 DC titles and 30 Marvel (which doesn't include event books, like AXIS and Death of Wolverine).
    Last edited by klinton; 10-12-2014 at 05:59 PM.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I used to be a Marvel kid who read some DC stuff, then I gradually drifted over to the side DC kid after some noteworthy shenanigans happened to the Mainstream books and another shenanigan courtesy of Jeph Loeb happened to the Ultimate line. By the time Flashpoint came around, I had fully converted to the Church of DC. Most of my mainstream comic purchases of current on-goings are DC, although I do check out a few Marvels like Deadpool and Warren Ellis' Moon Knight from time to time.

However I voted Other because in recent years I have discovered Avatar Press. A company puts out some truly tasteful and artistic stuff. A company, unlike DC and Marvel, has never resorted to the exploitation of violence and sexiness as a selling factor. Plus they even have that one writer with the beard that wrote some famous stuff in the past who won't work for either of the Big Two anymore putting out tasteful art in the comic form for readers to enjoy.
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 10-12-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Mostly DC for me but i get Hickman's Avengers, ASM ( Spiderverse), Bendis Xbooks and the female Xbook from Marvel as well.

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

I buy an equal amount of both (I think) but I have a subscription to Marvel DCU which lets me read a lot more Marvel.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Well, I only read DC but that's for practical reasons as much as anything.

If I was a millionaire with all the time in the world I'd probably be all over both companies. And the indies.

I got into comic book superheroes via Marvel, but ever since Timm's JL/JLU toons, I've been full blown DC. I love DC's characters a lot more, but their business practices and creative decisions really infuriate me at times. Marvel seems a lot more progressive and welcoming to its fans. The only thing that keeps me at DC is the characters. I don't really like some of the people running the company, though, and would be welcoming to a regime change.

Right now, I'm only reading DC.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    I got into comic book superheroes via Marvel, but ever since Timm's JL/JLU toons, I've been full blown DC. I love DC's characters a lot more, but their business practices and creative decisions really infuriate me at times. Marvel seems a lot more progress and welcoming to its fans. The only thing that keeps me at DC is the characters. I don't really like some of the people running the company, though, and would be welcoming to a regime change.

Right now, I'm only reading DC.
    Pretty much this.

It's a pretty fair split for me, though I generally lean more on DC. But I also read a lot of indies, mostly from Dark Horse and Image but with a spattering of other companies as well, mainly IDW.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

DC has Superboy nuff said.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

A lot of salt being thrown from all of Marvel's stories from NYCC, huh? DC's just like "we got Superman a beard like Greg Pak!"

Marvel has been beating them in quantity for a long time. Quality... well, scaring off all the good creators isn't helping.

I'm glad to see people reading comic books from companies other than the big two. But that's not what the poll is about. This is more like comparing one of the big two to it's main competition, and how much of a preference (if any) people may have for one over the other.

Spectacular Member

Out of Marvel and DC, I read a lot more DC comics than Marvel today. When I was a young kid I was mostly Marvel. I got back into comics in 2011 after trying the New 52 launch and enjoying it more than I imagined. However, I found myself not being able to get back into Marvel comics as an adult. I like Marvel's characters, but I discovered to be enjoying DC comics more than Marvel comics nowadays.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    A lot of salt being thrown from all of Marvel's stories from NYCC, huh? DC's just like "we got Superman a beard like Greg Pak!"

Marvel has been beating them in quantity for a long time. Quality... well, scaring off all the good creators isn't helping.
    Quantity of what?

DC has the lead over any publisher in terms of awards (Eisner for example), so they have the edge in quality throughout the years.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quantity as far as interesting titles. They're throwing just about everything at the wall, and some of it is sticking pretty well. I'd be reading more Marvel books if it weren't for my budget.

And Eisners? I dunno, it doesn't really feel like any Big Two comic has been worthy of the stamp since the better parts of Wonder Woman and Daredevil.