All-New Member

Default Can somenone please help a new comic book reader understand what's happening on the 616 Marvel?

Hi guys . I've been reading comic books since last January , but I haven't been reading the current stuff (I've been reading a lot of classics and the beginings of the Ultimate Universe) .The only current books that I'm reading are All New X-Men and All New X-Factor.

With that being said , now everything looks like a big mess : OXM's Jean Gray ends up on the Ultimate Universe , there are actual references (panels) of the ultimate universe inside All New X-Men , The Spider-Verse storyline is happening , Time Runs Out is happening (and because of that there are tons and tons of mentions of an "event" or phenomenon called "Incursions" here on the forums).

PSA : I know what an incursion is (at least the basics of it).

I know that everything is connected in some shape of form to Hickman's run on New Avengers and Avengers (or at least I think I know , I've been reading the forums a lot lately) and I don't want a full blown explanation (but if someone has the time to explain everything , go ahead) of what's going on , but could someone PLEASE , PLEAAAAAAAAASE at least answer the following questions :
    Is everything (Spider-Verse , ANXM's "fusion" with the Ultimate Universe) really happening because of what's happening on Hickman's books?
    If there is going to be an incursion , with what universe is 616 going to clash?
    If its the Ultimate Universe : Do you think this is going to end up in the Ultimate Universe being destroyed as a result of the incursion (because lets face it , if the incursion happens they are definately going to destroys Ultimate Universe's Earth) ?
    and the final and most important question :

I want to read the comics that are involved in this "thing" thats going on (Specially Avengers and New Avengers) but I'm the kind of reader who doesnt like to read a book in the middle of a event of story arc .Where should I start?

Disclamer : I haven't really read any of Hickman's books (Avengers and New Avengers), so If I'm talking pure nonesense just close this
    Last edited by InkaTorque; 10-13-2014 at 10:35 PM.

We don't know if Spider-Verse is actually related to the Incursions. The ANXM crossing into the Ultimate Universe seems to be unrelated, as it was caused by a young girl developing her mutant power.

The 616 could clash with any reality. It's already clashed with a couple of previous unseen worlds.

We'll have to wait and see what happens to the Ultimate Universe.

If you don't want to just jump in, then my recommendation would be to go to your local library for the trades of Avengers and New Avengers up to this point. There aren't any other books you need to read to follow those two. It may be worthwhile checking out Hickman's Fantastic Four run, though, because there are some similarities and possible connections. Other books may start tying into Time Runs Out shortly, but it's up to you which of them you'll want to read.

BANNED

I think when Hickman's Avengers run ends next May, you'll be able to see more how the events involving time travel and alternate universes in the other titles fit in.
    I honestly believe it's being set up to get the Marvel Universe to the next stage, and that everybody will be affected in some way. There is a Secret Wars event that
    runs the entire following year, and it looks like the purpose is to weed out some things. The current situation with time being out of whack was set in motion by Wolverine
    in Age Of Ultron. The incursions started in the first issue of New Avengers, but as you said, there are time travel stories everywhere now, too. You can read Avengers
    and New Avengers from the beginning for full details, but those books aren't for everyone. AXIS is something else entirely, so don't even try to place it. That can be
    figured out in a couple of years, when all of this is history.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    We don't know if Spider-Verse is actually related to the Incursions. The ANXM crossing into the Ultimate Universe seems to be unrelated, as it was caused by a young girl developing her mutant power.

The 616 could clash with any reality. It's already clashed with a couple of previous unseen worlds.

We'll have to wait and see what happens to the Ultimate Universe.

If you don't want to just jump in, then my recommendation would be to go to your local library for the trades of Avengers and New Avengers up to this point. There aren't any other books you need to read to follow those two. It may be worthwhile checking out Hickman's Fantastic Four run, though, because there are some similarities and possible connections. Other books may start tying into Time Runs Out shortly, but it's up to you which of them you'll want to read.
    Is there any kind of reading order for new avengers and avengers ?I want to read them both at the same time .

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InkaTorque View Post
    Is there any kind of reading order for new avengers and avengers ?I want to read them both at the same time .
    Go like this with the trades:
    Avengers vol 1
    New Avengers vol 2
    Avengers vol 2
    Infinity hc
    Avengers vol 5
    New Avengers vol 3
    Etc.
    I thought at least...
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Hey InkaTorque Time Runs Out is an event that happens 8 months in the future its more likely that Uncanny Avengers and AXIS tie into it than Spider-Verse as Spider-Verse will be finished before the 8 months have elapsed.

A timeline between New Avengers and Avengers is only available on the Infinity Event.
    I can try and find a link as I don’t have one to hand at the minute
    Truth is the best policy

The all thing about universes clashing each other has its origin in Age of Ultron.

Hickman's Avengers titles are the books more involved in the aftermath of that event, with the incursions story. If you want to read those from the start, there are trades available. Can't tell you the reading order though.

I believe some elements of Spider-Verse story have their origin in the consequences of Age of Ultron.

Your guess regarding the fate of the ultimate universe is as good as anyone else.

The more important think you should consider is this: You don't need to read everything to enjoy a particular title or story. If as you say you're only reading the current X-Factor and All New X-Men, plus the earlier works of the ultimate universe, you don't need to read Age of Ultron, Hickman's Avengers or Spider-Verse to understand and enjoy those reads. If anything about those stories piqued your interest, sure give it a try, but they're not really necessary to enjoy what're you're currently reading.

Trade wise, it's probably easy enough to do:
    Avengers vol 1
    New Avengers Vol 1
    Avengers vol 2
    New Avengers vol 2
    Avengers vol 3
    Infinity
    New Avengers vol 3
    Avengers vol 4
    New Avengers vol 4
    Avengers vol 5 (if it is out)

Individual issues (this is not necessarily chronological, just the order I think it reads well in):
    Avengers #1-3
    New Avengers #1-3
    Avengers #4
    New Avengers #4
    Avengers #5
    New Avengers #5-6
    Avengers #6-13
    New Avengers #7
    Avengers #14-17
    Infinity #1
    Avengers #18
    New Avengers #8-9
    Infinity #2
    Avengers #19
    New Avengers #10
    Infinity #3
    Avengers #20
    Infinity #4
    Avengers #21
    New Avengers #11
    Infinity #5
    Avengers #22-23
    Infinity #6
    New Avengers #12
    Avengers #24.NOW
    New Avengers #13-15
    Avengers #25-27
    New Avengers #16.NOW
    Avengers #28
    New Avengers #17
    Avengers #29
    New Avengers #18
    Avengers #30
    New Avengers #19
    Avengers #31
    New Avengers #20
    Avengers #32
    New Avengers #21
    Avengers #33
    New Avengers #22
    Avengers #34
    New Avengers #23
    Avengers #34.1
    Avengers #35 (Time Runs Out begins here)
    New Avengers #24
    Avengers #36

All-New Member

Wow guys thanks for answering I really appreciate it. Here is another question : besides looking at the solicitations is there any other way I can find out what comics are being released during the current week? Is there some kind of app or website that does this?

Quote Originally Posted by InkaTorque View Post
    Wow guys thanks for answering I really appreciate it. Here is another question : besides looking at the solicitations is there any other way I can find out what comics are being released during the current week? Is there some kind of app or website that does this?
    http://www.comiclist.com/index.php