Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default New 52 WonderWoman is an attempt to make Diana more appealing to a male audience? Agree or disagree?

Like Aqua man, Wonder woman has often struggled with certain preconceived notions from non fans. For along time Wonder Woman was perceived as a comic for woman and gay men. Some could (and have) argued that the new 52 version of the character is an attempt to fight back against the perception, and make her more "acceptable" to the traditional comic book audience (men). What do you think.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

100% yes. I think that's why DC is now releasing books like Sensation Comics and Wonder Woman '77 as they know that they've alienated a good chunk of Diana's traditional fan-base so they are trying to use these new books to get their business back.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

there is things that I think made WW more appealing to male audience, like for example her having a father and some downplaying of amazons in the beggining of Azz run. And also her dating Superman.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    100% yes. I think that's why DC is now releasing books like Sensation Comics and Wonder Woman '77 as they know that they've alienated a good chunk of Diana's traditional fan-base so they are trying to use these new books to get their business back.
    Agreed. Everything they have done including the Superman romance is trying to make her more male appealing. I am not against that but they over did it It will eventually completely backfire.

It's not like she was more popular before...

I'm not sure about the new52 as a whole, but what Azzarello did was to make her a superb character.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

Without a doubt, Azzarello's run caters to a straight male audience. That's not inherently bad, but there are heaps of comics out there that already do that. Can't blame DC for wanting a larger audience, I guess.

But the darker theme, the focus on male supporting cast (though to be fair there have been a lot of female supporting characters too), the main villain looking like he stepped out of a 10 year old boy's wet dream, the graphic violence... it's a very masculine book intended for a masculine audience.

BANNED

If you're saying she's being designed to appeal to 90's bad girl cheesecake fans, then no. Or if that was the intent, then take it from one of those fans, its a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    It's not like she was more popular before...

I'm not sure about the new52 as a whole, but what Azzarello did was to make her a superb character.
    You do know she's had good stories before Azzarello right? And if it wasn't Azz, someone would have made her popular again.

I think they just want to appeal to a broader audience and are getting rid of elements that they think are off putting. I don't agree with all the changes but it is what it is.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-13-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    If you're saying she's being designed to appeal to 90's bad girl cheesecake fans, then no. Or if that was the intent, then take it from one of those fans, its a failure.
    Cheesecake isn't the only thing that appeals to men. While Azzarello's run steers clear from sexualizing the female characters, the blood and gore and violence is certainly intended to appeal to men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flatman View Post
    Without a doubt, Azzarello's run caters to a straight male audience. That's not inherently bad, but there are heaps of comics out there that already do that. Can't blame DC for wanting a larger audience, I guess.

But the darker theme, the focus on male supporting cast (though to be fair there have been a lot of female supporting characters too), the main villain looking like he stepped out of a 10 year old boy's wet dream, the graphic violence... it's a very masculine book intended for a masculine audience.
    I think azz run isn't exactly masculine, but it's not like comics aimed at women like new batgirl, captain marvel, ms marvel either
    WW is not the shallow warrior woman archetype, pointing her sword at everyone, threating everyone. she shows compassion and is not ashamed of loving everyone, that is pretty feminine traits.

Mighty Member

Is there any reader demographics on how many fem/male readers the book had before compared to now?

I wouldn't say more appealing to men (I'm one. But I usually dislike super heroes.), but perhaps readers who likes something closer to graphic novels. European comic books, Vertigo, image etc.

If anything I'v noticing a lot of fem. readers discovering Azzarello's body of work lately, when checking reviews and eyeing twitter and such web sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatman View Post
    Cheesecake isn't the only thing that appeals to men. While Azzarello's run steers clear from sexualizing the female characters, the blood and gore and violence is certainly intended to appeal to men.
    It's comparable to Game of thrones perhaps. A story that's alot "worse" than Wonder Woman but who seems to draw a lot of fems into watching/reading it. Same thing with Judge Dredd with the 2012 film, there's been a noticeable upswing in fem fans. Much of it probably has to do with "good" women characters, that no every one of them are charactertures.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I think azz run isn't exactly masculine, but it's not like comics aimed at women like new batgirl, captain marvel, ms marvel either
    WW is not the shallow warrior woman archetype, pointing her sword at everyone, threating everyone. she shows compassion and is not ashamed of loving everyone, that is pretty feminine traits.
    The tone of the book is very emasculating (manliness seems quite sad quite often in the current run) with focus on being practical instead of preachy. What Diana preaches is often tested. And for the most time, she "wins".

I'm hoping the meta story on feminism will see some discussion also when the story is finished (I'm curious to see how the war angle fit into things.) similar to how alot of people discuss not only revenge but also class when discussing 100Bullets.
    Last edited by borntohula; 10-13-2014 at 09:43 AM.

I. Think he take it to far. For one I wanted more of a balance in her origin but once again Ares training seemed to be more important . The amazons aren't allowed to have tech until Diana saves them for me it would have been better if the amazons had something. Now it's more male than female . Many complaint about that can't we have a balance just a bit . Marston's run did that . Since Marston die her runs went downhill . Azz run not the best or worst . His sells are the same has pre 52 sales

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    You do know she's had good stories before Azzarello right? And if it wasn't Azz, someone would have made her popular again.
    Just like someone would made a film of her?
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    Just like someone would made a film of her?
    Actually, there is no solo film of Wonder Woman coming out. But she will be in another hero's movie as a secondary character. Big difference in that they don't think a solo Wonder Woman movie would bring back the big bucks but test her out first in another superhero's flick. Not really a big amount of trust in her still, regardless of who the current comic book writer is on her title.