Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    . So if a woman doesn't have a man in her origin her story is automatically misandrist. Have you actually read the comics pre-Azz because it just sounds like you just have a basic summary of the clay origin but none of the context.
    Azz run is not even great in sales it's around pre 52

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    Hollywood is forgetting that wonder woman is a feminist icon. They're also forgetting about the millions of women struggling to have a child through fertility treatments, who could relate to the made from clay origin and a mother wanting desperately to give birth to a baby she's unable to have.

Not only is the made from clay more poetic and original, it also resonates more with women who have historically been undeserved by typical super hero movies. The child of Zeus origin is as typical as they come.
    Agreed. The Zeus think is so overrated. I mean really do we want an more over used to why she has her powers? Why not have it be amazon training.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    You don't read this message board much, then.
    Not for a while. And when I did visit, the complaints were all about how Diana wasn't allowed to do this or that.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    So if a woman doesn't have a man in her origin her story is automatically misandrist.
    In a vacuum, no.

Coupled with Paradise Island concept, her creator's own notorious chauvinistic views on the sexes, followed by the lack of male sidekicks who view her as a mentor, yes.

Have you actually read the comics pre-Azz because it just sounds like you just have a basic summary of the clay origin but none of the context.
    I've read them. Haven't really enjoyed them much, with few exceptions. The most I ever enjoyed an official Wonder Woman story was the 2009 animated movie. THAT was excellence.

BANNED

female superheroes doesn't have a male sidekick, that is just how things works.

I see nothing misandrist about paradise island, is a place wher women are safe to build a matriarch. so we can have patriarch but forbid a matriarch

Hollywood is forgetting that Wonder Woman is a feminist icon. They're also forgetting about the millions of women struggling to have a child through fertility treatments, who could relate to the made from clay origin and a mother wanting desperately to give birth to a baby that she's physically unable to have.

Not only is the made from clay version more poetic and original, it also resonates more with women who have historically been undeserved by typical super hero movies. The child of Zeus origin is as typical as they come.
    Though I do find the bold points interesting, I don't really think we have enough material yet to determine that Hollywood has forgotten WW is a feminist icon. Feminism is after all more popular now than it has been in twenty, thirty years.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Hey to you guys are the amazons still human or are they considered their own race?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Azz run is not even great in sales it's around pre 52
    But as a tpb it tops the month every time it comes out and ofcourse your figures do not include digital sales. Also as a general rule good series rarely top the charts, but good movies usually do.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

Like you REALLY think Hippolyta is going to be pushed aside in favor of Zeus? The parental focus will always stay on Hippolyta b/c that's who raised Diana.
    With Hollywood ANYTHING is possible. While Hippolyta will most likely be the parent who raised Diana, I could most of her movies revolving around Zeus and his extended family. Especially since Greek Myth is somewhat hot right now. I wouldn't be shocked if she barely got anything to say.

And more to the point, not only do Superman and Batman both HAVE mothers (Lara and Martha Wayne), they also have adoptive mother figures (Martha Kent and Leslie Thompkins). Also Superman and Batman have Supergirl and Batgirl. Where's Wonder Boy?
    In most adaptations Lara and Martha get very little to do, and more of the focus is on the daddies.
    Supergirl and Batgirl are female derivatives of pre-existing male characters who eclipse them in popularity. Part of why they're even still around is because they're from franchises

Bring on the Daughter of Zeus!
    I could deal with Diana being Zeus's daughter, even though I hate it. But what I can't deal with her being described as the "Daughter of Zeus", and I know that's how they'll market her because it's just so easy. Most people know the name Zeus, and what's cooler than his daughter? Meh...

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

In a vacuum, no.

Coupled with Paradise Island concept, her creator's own notorious chauvinistic views on the sexes, followed by the lack of male sidekicks who view her as a mentor, yes.

I've read them. Haven't really enjoyed them much, with few exceptions. The most I ever enjoyed an official Wonder Woman story was the 2009 animated movie. THAT was excellence.
    Paradise Island hasn't always been a paradise. During the Perez run it was a prison. The Amazons' hatred of men wasn't justified but was shown as understandable given the attrocities committed against them by men. Marston is long dead and his depiction of WW hasn't been in effect for decades despite what people who don't actually read the book may claim. As for lack of male sidekicks, I don't see how that is an issue as she's had males in her supporting cast and their enough of male mentors for superheroes already.

BANNED

No, misandry is the thought that having a male, not matter how far removed, involved in Wonder Woman's origin somehow taints her. It's an extremely chauvinistic sentiment.

Like you REALLY think Hippolyta is going to be pushed aside in favor of Zeus? The parental focus will always stay on Hippolyta b/c that's who raised Diana.

And more to the point, not only do Superman and Batman both HAVE mothers (Lara and Martha Wayne), they also have adoptive mother figures (Martha Kent and Leslie Thompkins). Also Superman and Batman have Supergirl and Batgirl. Where's Wonder Boy?

Females are not excluded from the World's Finest franchise the way males were in the Wonderverse pre-Azz.

Bring on the Daughter of Zeus!
    male have plenty of franshises to play, WW was just balancing it. because is not fair have all male franchise and when we have one that celebrates female characters as protagonists it is bad?

well I don't know if zeus will overshadow WW, but roven say daughter of zeus. Nothing about her being daughter of hipollyta or a amazon.
    it's the same guys who did dark knight and MOS, where the mothers aren't really important as the fathers. DK is laughable how unimportant the mother is. Ok martha was important, but not so much like his dead fathers.
    there was a wonderboy on jimenez run, so yeah it existed. batgirl and supergirl are knock offs, more to the role of alumns

Ultimate Member

So what? Fans already know that she's Hippolyta's daughter, so there's no reason to say that. The big question was whether they'd go with the clay origin or the demi-goddess one, and that's what he was responding to. And Thomas Wayne/Jor-el being more important parts of their son's lives than Martha Wayne/Lara has been present in a lot of the comics for DECADES! Does it suck, yes. But the movies aren't doing anything radically different in that regard. The simple fact is that we have NO IDEA of what her role will be in this movie, or how the gods/Amazons/etc will play into it, if they will at all, period. Gods I swear that some people are looking for ANY reason, no matter how tenuous, to complain about her being reduced in relation to man. It's getting old/tiresome frankly.

I don't see much of a problem here

BANNED

Hollywood is forgetting that Wonder Woman is a feminist icon. They're also forgetting about the millions of women struggling to have a child through fertility treatments, who could relate to the made from clay origin and a mother wanting desperately to give birth to a baby that she's physically unable to have.

Not only is the made from clay version more poetic and original, it also resonates more with women who have historically been undeserved by typical super hero movies. The child of Zeus origin is as typical as they come.
    Find me one woman in this entire world who has ever said "I really related to the story of Wonder Woman because I couldn't have a child of my own and the idea of making a clay figure of a child that the gods turn into a real living child reminded me of the fertility treatments we had to undergo." I somehow doubt it, for the same reason I never heard about any parents relating to Pinocchio.

I could just as easily say you're forgetting about the millions of children born out of wedlock or not by a married couple or of affairs who could find this easier to relate to.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 10-14-2014 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Rudeness removed

BANNED

well so just because comics it played that way is fine for movies play that way too? I'm pretty much liked the changed on starlord originon gog. it's time to upgrade things, not downgrade. Snallville also had big roles for the mothers.
    Fans are concerned, it's complete a normal thing to do . we are talking about DC movies, if mOS and GL are indication of something I'm really worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Find me one woman in this entire world who has ever said "I really related to the story of Wonder Woman because I couldn't have a child of my own and the idea of making a clay figure of a child that the gods turn into a real living child reminded me of the fertility treatments we had to undergo." I somehow doubt it, for the same reason I never heard about any parents relating to Pinocchio.

I could just as easily say you're forgetting about the millions of children born out of wedlock or not by a married couple or of affairs who could find this easier to relate to.
    humm I don't know but amanda deibert and cat staggs compared the inception of their baby with the WW origin. In some way they relate to WW origin