All-New Member

Question Best classic runs or arcs I can find in dollar bins at cons?

New to the forum - hello!

I go to a lot of cons throughout the year, and I love to go dollar bin diving to complete runs and arcs. At my last con, I was able to complete most of the Age of Apocalypse arc completely from $0.50-1.00 bins. I've also managed to complete the entire Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1 series, Classic X-Men Dark Phoenix Saga. Most dollar bins are going to be stuff from late 80's, 90's and early 00's. What are some good runs or arcs that I may be able to find and attempt to complete searching through dollar bins at cons? DC, Marvel, doesn't matter. Just looking for good runs/arcs that may still be sitting there in the dollar longboxes, and not the rare/expensive ones like Infinity Gauntlet, Crisis series, etc.

Thank you!

Incredible Member

A couple of good runs I've come across in the discount boxes:

Dark Phoenix saga (via the reprints in X-Men Classics as you've mentioned)
    John Byrne's Superman run
    John Byrne's Fantastic Four run
    Superman triangle run leading into Death Of Superman,World Without Superman, Reign Of The Superman

I've also found key 90's issues for cheap that were big deals back then such as
    Batman #497 (Batman gets back broken)
    Superman #75 (Superman dies by Doomsday)
    Fantastic Four #381 (Mr. Fantastic dies)
    Uncanny X-Men #248 second printing (1st Jim Lee)
    New Mutants #87 second printing (1st Cable)
    Last edited by Mace Dolex; 10-14-2014 at 11:51 PM.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I usually only buy the not collected runs like Dr Fate, Question, Hawkworld, Heroes for hire (Ostrander) etc. Those are usually not hard to get and pretty great. Especially almost everything by Ostrander, his runs are rarely collected and almost always amazing (look for these runs of his: Suicide squad, Firestorm, Heroes for hire, Hawkworld and Spectre (his Spectre is being collected currently but the covers of the Spectre issues were phenomenal).
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Spectacular Member

If you like Batman, you can pick up Alan Grant's run in both Detective Comics and Batman. Most of his work outside of the Knightfall saga was never collected, but there's plenty of gems in there. Another good thing is that most of his stories are either one-shots or finished in less then 3 story arcs, so it doesn't take an insane amount of digging through bins to get a full story. Another writer at the same time was Peter Milligan, although he doesn't have as many stories. Check out the links for more exact issue numbers, etc.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...ok-runs-65-61/
    http://them0vieblog.com/2014/07/08/p...retrospective/

Still on the Batman theme, but some other gems I've found for cheap were Legends of the Dark Knight backissues and Shadow of the Bat backissues (SOTB was also written by Alan Grant).

All-New Member

These are all great suggestions, thanks! Any others? I'm going to Stan Lee's Comikaze in LA in two weeks and would like to blog about my dollar bin finds. Need a nice list to work off of!

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Some more of my faves: Hellstrom by Ellis, Deathstroke by Wolfman, Batman stuff by Milligan (don't know exact issue numbers). Another series worth looking for is almost anything from Silver Surfer vol 2. It has various great runs from writers such as Jim Starlin, J.M DeMatteis, Steve Englehart, Ron Marz etc. It has been part of crossovers from time to time but most should be easy to get into. And it's not really hard to find with most issues available for a buck on Mycomicshop.com
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Fantastic Member

Getting away from Marvel & DC you should be able to find a lot of great indy comics from 80's publishers like First and Eclipse. Check out Badger, Nexus, Grimjack, Scout and my personal favorite Airboy written by Chuck Dixon. Since this is the Collected Eds board it's worth noting that IDW is currently collecting the Airboy run in some nice TPBs.

All-New Member

Some not difficult to find favourites:

Six From Sirius - Paul Gulacy art.
    Elektra Assassin - Miller / Sienkiewicz
    Mazzucchelli / O'Neil issues of Daredevil
    Hernadez Brothers mini series - Woah Nellie, Speak of the Devil etc
    Kirby comics all day long.
    Caper - Farel Dalrymple art
    Cinder and Ashe - Garcia Lopez art
    Detectives Inc - Marshall Rogers
    Eightball - Clowes. Surprised how often these turn up cheap.
    Elric - P. Craig Russell art
    Marshal Law - Pat Mills
    American Flagg - Howard Chaykin
    Measles - 90s alternative kids anthology.
    New Mutants - Sienkiewicz
    Omega the Unknown - 70s iteration and the Lethem reimagining.
    Optic Nerve - Tomine
    Paradax - Brendan McCarthy
    Some Atlas 70s stuff - The Scorpion - Chaykin; Destructor - Ditko; The Tarantula (?) - Boyette
    The Shadow - Sienkiewicz; Kyle Baker
    Slash Maraud - Gulacy
    Solo - great DC artist showcase
    Somerset Holmes - Al Williamson
    Starstruck - Kaluta
    Strange Days - McCarthy
    Swamp Thing - Moore/ Bisette
    Paul Pope drawn stuff - Heavy Liquid; stuff in DHP
    Cheval Noir - Dark Horse euro anthology
    Thriller - VonEeden
    Vector - 1986

Also lots and lots of naif black and white boom stuff.

Spectacular Member

Legends of the Dark Knight was a good series and there are bunches of good self-contained Batman stories within the series long run, especially in the first 100 issues or so.

There are bunches of good 80s and 90s comics that is bargain bin stuff now. Grendel, Grimjack, Scout, Nexus, Dreadstar, The Shadow, The Question, Elric/Corum/Hawkmoon etc.