Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Default Marvel comes off as scared of DC's 2015 Crisis event

They are trying way too hard. Secret Wars sequel and now a Civil War sequel in the same year? Overkill.

I really doubt that. I really do.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    They are trying way too hard. Secret Wars sequel and now a Civil War sequel in the same year? Overkill.
    We don't know what the Civil War "sequel" is yet. Speculation is that "Civil War" is some kind of time-travel or alternate universe thing which may tie into Secret Wars.

It's not clear that Marve is doing this to one-up DC's event. Remember, this all ties into "Time Runs Out" which was previewed several months ago. Further, Marvel has been running a LOT of time travel/alternate universe stories since about 2013 and the Age of Ultron series. Secret Wars appears to be the culmination of Marvel's long-term planning since then. This is not the first time they've done that--remember Marvel debuted "Tony's Map" in late 2010 which telegraphed many major Marvel stores between 2010 and 2013, and almost all of them came true.

I think "scared" is a wee bit too strong. Are they probably trying to counter the rumored 30th anniversary for CoIE event? Probably. (Especially because Secret Wars should have been in 2014 for its 30th anniversary.)

But I don't know if they're "scared" of it.

Rehash lel, No more mutants, Secret Wars and Civil War all in one year as three Avengers Event/Storyline.

Its not scared i say cashgrab to coincide with Age of Ultron release.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Rehash lel, No more mutants, Secret Wars and Civil War all in one year as three Avengers Event/Storyline.

Its not scared i say cashgrab to coincide with Age of Ultron release.
    these are not three events. this is one event, one arc, one film related thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Downey Joins "Captain America 3," Marvel to Kick Off Cinematic "Civil War"

Nice to see Marvel on defense for once.

Scared of what? Secert Wars will be huge and probably end with a big streamlining of the Marvel U, and Civil War is too captialize on the RDJ rumors and if prove true to release a non terrible version of the story in time for cap 3.

Astonishing Member

I don't think revisiting a well known (if a bit critically bland) storyline from their recent history just in time for Movie Universe Synergy and recognizable dynamics counts as particularly "scared".

It's Secret War's anniversary, and Civil War and Death of Captain America kicked off around the same time as the MCU, and they've been influencing each other since, so it was a matter of time before the full circle thing happened there.

Scuttlebutt aside, we really know jack about what Crisis 2015 is going to be all about. Will it be massive with far-reaching implications? Will it just be a hijacking tie-in that forces every title to conform to some newer, even stupider regime of canon rules?

Or will it just a really huge, really chunky self-contained story that just happens to feature EVERY character introduced since New 52's beginning, and probably some old ones we really, really miss from a previous universe?

Knowing DC's history ... I'm gonna go ahead and guess a Frankenstein's Monster of both.

But at least it'll be better than Flashpoint.

(Final caveat; I don't actually read Marvel and have only cursory "I see the same trade article headlines" of what things like Secret War or Civil War are actually about. "Battle nexus royale with very little status quo shakeups and memory wiping ... and Cap versus Iron Man for some idealistic and incredibly naive and ridiculously not self-aware characterizations and conflicts, right? Should be fun to see Downey and Evans feud in public.)
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

If this is Marvel being scared then I wish they'd be scared more often! The direction they are heading is absolutely mind-blowing if you're a Marvel fan. The synergy between comics and film is simply staggering. Unparalleled and unrivaled.
    Last edited by Marvel_Is; 10-13-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    If this is Marvel being scared then I wish they'd be scared more often! The direction they are heading is absolutely mind-blowing if you're a Marvel fan. The synergy between comics and film is simply staggering. Unparalleled and unrivaled.
    Their direction is meh to me. Seems they have run out of ideas, but it's been that way for a while. Their events have been lackluster.

Spectacular Member

Eh, they are not the ones who do gimmick covers or rely on reboots all the time.

Mighty Member

DC's done like 2 full reboots in their 75 year time. All the time isn't accurate.

I wouldn't at all say they're scared but my first thought was definitely that them going back to Secret Wars is a way to compete with DC's event, sure.