Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Is DC's supposed Crisis even a real thing? Seems like a rumor from my perspective. I believe Secret Wars forces one to materialize if there wasn't going to be one.

Astonishing Member

"scared"? Really?

This was part of Hickman's plan from the beginning. And unlike most Marvel/DC 'hype', Hickman is actually someone who plans his stories out this far, and with great detail, so you can imagine that it is true.

Much as Johns' work got me into comics in a very real, weekly way, Geoff Johns on a DC event is not going to be new. It's not going to be different. We've seen Geoff Johns on a DC Event. We've seen Geoff Johns on a CRISIS event, for that matter. What we'll get, while perhaps quite palatable publically, will not be anything that will shock us, it will not move the characters or the company forward in any new way. Geoff Johns did that, years ago, and even if he's not lost his talents and his skills he's been churning out comics about these characters in this universe consistently for a decade now and his style, his ideas...they're well known.

Geoff Johns' Crisis is not going to be another "Crisis on Infinite Earths". It's not even going to be an "Infinite Crisis". It can't be. By definition, it can't be.

Meanwhile, Jonathan Hickman - for whatever faults he may have as a writer, and I do believe he has a number (which writer does not, I ask you?) - is a fresh voice with a unique perspective on the Marvel Universe. What he's doing for that universe is bringing to it a flavor and a direction that it has not seen before, and (from the looks of those Marvel is grooming in the follow up) will not soon see again. It will be new. It will be unique. It will be different. It will be change.

And in serialized storytelling of this sort, it's this - writers who can capture, or even influence, the zeitgeist - that idea-farm universes like Marvel and DC should be searching for, cultivating, and putting on their books.

This isn't a big Marvel vs DC thing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    If this is Marvel being scared then I wish they'd be scared more often! The direction they are heading is absolutely mind-blowing if you're a Marvel fan. The synergy between comics and film is simply staggering. Unparalleled and unrivaled.
    Quoted for truth.

Marvel fans are pretty excited and intrigued right now.

Secret Wars is the culmination of Hickman's Avengers work which started 2 years ago.

Everything is just falling into place.

Jesus Christ stop making DC vs Marvel threads, for the love of Kirby stop.

Marvel sucks we get it.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    If this is Marvel being scared then I wish they'd be scared more often! The direction they are heading is absolutely mind-blowing if you're a Marvel fan. The synergy between comics and film is simply staggering. Unparalleled and unrivaled.
    That sounds terrible to me. Glad DC isn't going full-bore with synergy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    "scared"? Really?

This was part of Hickman's plan from the beginning. And unlike most Marvel/DC 'hype', Hickman is actually someone who plans his stories out this far, and with great detail, so you can imagine that it is true.

Much as Johns' work got me into comics in a very real, weekly way, Geoff Johns on a DC event is not going to be new. It's not going to be different. We've seen Geoff Johns on a DC Event. We've seen Geoff Johns on a CRISIS event, for that matter. What we'll get, while perhaps quite palatable publically, will not be anything that will shock us, it will not move the characters or the company forward in any new way. Geoff Johns did that, years ago, and even if he's not lost his talents and his skills he's been churning out comics about these characters in this universe consistently for a decade now and his style, his ideas...they're well known.

Geoff Johns' Crisis is not going to be another "Crisis on Infinite Earths". It's not even going to be an "Infinite Crisis". It can't be. By definition, it can't be.

Meanwhile, Jonathan Hickman - for whatever faults he may have as a writer, and I do believe he has a number (which writer does not, I ask you?) - is a fresh voice with a unique perspective on the Marvel Universe. What he's doing for that universe is bringing to it a flavor and a direction that it has not seen before, and (from the looks of those Marvel is grooming in the follow up) will not soon see again. It will be new. It will be unique. It will be different. It will be change.

And in serialized storytelling of this sort, it's this - writers who can capture, or even influence, the zeitgeist - that idea-farm universes like Marvel and DC should be searching for, cultivating, and putting on their books.

This isn't a big Marvel vs DC thing.
    Are we getting some new Johns event? Because I don't really get your comparison here.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Are we getting some new Johns event? Because I don't really get your comparison here.
    Who else will write this new Crisis event, do you think?

BANNED

Who else will write this new Crisis event, do you think?
    The rumor (as told by BC) is Didio and Marie Javins running things, with Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Grey, Scott Lobdell, Fabian Nicieza, David Gallaher, Adam Beechen, Larry Hama, Marv Wolfman, Dan Abnett, Len Wein, and Jeff Parker writing the books.

Astonishing Member

I know that is the "blood moon" bit; is that meant to be the same as the Crisis Anniversary?

Because if so...wow.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Marvel is not running scared. Marvel is just making a huge event that ties in with everything they have been doing for the last 2 years.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Marvel has *lots* of problems at the moment, but its decades-old competition with DC isn't one of them. Marvel's universe seems to be disintegrating right now, with the X-MEN and FANTASTIC FOUR franchises seemingly being forcefully separated from the part of the Marvel Universe where the AVENGERS and SPIDER-MAN reside...all due to deals with various media companies made fifteen or so years ago that until recently, didn't look like deals with the devil. Marvel the comic book company and shared fictional universe seems to be collapsing internally even as the value of its intellectual properties has scaled to unprecedented heights (which is about as ironic and paradoxical as it gets). DC has nothing to do with it, except suddenly and through no effort of its own looking like a model of stability and cohesion by comparison (not necessarily in terms of continuity, but in terms of retaining full ownership/use of all of its characters and franchises).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 10-14-2014 at 01:08 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Amazing Member

This thread is annoying.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Marvel has *lots* of problems at the moment, but its decades-old competition with DC isn't one of them. Marvel's universe seems to be disintegrating right now, with the X-MEN and FANTASTIC FOUR franchises seemingly being forcefully separated from the part of the Marvel Universe where the AVENGERS and SPIDER-MAN reside...all due to deals with various media companies made fifteen or so years ago that until recently, didn't look like deals with the devil. Marvel the comic book company and shared fictional universe seems to be collapsing internally even as its intellectual properties have scaled to unprecedented heights. DC has nothing to do with it, except suddenly look like a model of stability and cohesion by comparison (not necessarily in terms of continuity, but in terms of retaining full ownership/use of all of its characters and franchises).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

The X-Men are still very much a part of the universe. BMB has called bullshit on all the rumors saying that they were being phased out. The FF are being canceled, but I highly doubt Marvel will actually divide up their universe like this, considering they've announced multiple events that the X-Men are heavily involved with.
    All in all, I'd say that both Marvel and DC have messed up universes, but Marvel has the better pr team. Years later, The New 52 is still synonymous with messiness. DC really needs to hire new people to manage their publicity.

I know that is the "blood moon" bit; is that meant to be the same as the Crisis Anniversary?

Because if so...wow.
    I assumed so, because we haven't really heard anything that would hint at there being another event. Booster Gold issue implied heavily that Futures End and Worlds End is building towards it, would be a bit strange if Blood Moon gets around 100 issues of "lead in" and then month later "Crisis Anniversary" event comes out of nowhere. Obviously Blood Moon could lead into it, but I somewhat doubt that.

Edit: I mean some fans would go mental if crisis event ended up with around 200 issues of "lead in".

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    ...Edit: I mean some fans would go mental if crisis event ended up with around 200 issues of "lead in".
    That's kinda what happened with Countdown / Final Crisis.