Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default I thought everyone hated Civil War

so back in like 2007 alot of people really seem to dispise civil war saying that the way it's written is too doom, it didin't make a whole lot of sense, mark millar didn't do good in handling these characters, everyone seemed way out of character, the ending was pointless etc. but then suddenly years later people were prasing civil war like it was made from god or something and wanted it to be adapted into film(i would've gone with tv) and yet a couple of people still made fun of the book. i know it's opinions andf all but with all of the changes overtime i'm notcing a bunch of people who went from ditest to love and i still didn't like this series. it's got some great ideas but it just makes the character feel out of characters, their ideas are bs, and a couple of characters seem to be unlikable and some of the writing seem way too forced. i also didhn't lkike the idea of mind controling villains and that bitchy lady especially her reappearance back at fear itslelf.

say if civil war can get attention of a need to be adapted why can't fear itself? sure it's worse than civil war but i love the concept and thought it had better potential than civil war. it would've gone more with the character's psychology like spiderman, she hulk, hawkeye, wolverine, captain america, tony stark, captain marvel, etc.

I hate Civil War with the burning fire of a thousand suns!

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Civil War made for good toilet paper.

I hate Civil War too.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Saying everyone hated Civil War is like saying comic book fans hate Bendis (arguably the most commercially sucessful comic writer at Marvel) or saying every wrestling fan hates John Cena (who probably sells more merchandise than the rest of the WWE lockeroom combined).

A very vocal minority on the internet can does not necessarily represent the fan base as a whole. It just sometimes feels that way.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I hate Civil War too.
    I second that emotion!

Ultimate Member

Not everyone hated Civil War.

Civil War was a pretty historic event and is an "evergreen" seller for Marvel. Saying everyone hated it is a colossal exaggeration.

Personally, I had problems with the story (particularly with how Tony Stark's side were turned into complete villains and simply became a stand-in for the Bush administration) but did I hate it? Absolutely not. It got me back into comics and I was pleasantly surprised at how topical and relevant the story was at the time. Not to mention the fact that it was probably the first superhero comic event that didn't feature heroes teaming up against some giant universe eating bad guy or something.

I still hate Civil War.

I hope the Russos are reading these forums. Because they clearly care what the people want after Cap 2. They even said that they tried to make it "Honest Trailer-proof." And if they know how many people hate Civil War they can 86 the idea.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Nothing can ever really truly be hated by everyone. There will always be opinions on things that are perceived as garbage.

That being said I never read Civil War so I can't weigh my opinion on it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I hope the Russos are reading these forums. Because they clearly care what the people want after Cap 2. They even said that they tried to make it "Honest Trailer-proof." And if they know how many people hate Civil War they can 86 the idea.
    The hatred of Civil War is waaaay overblown, commercially anyway. The vocal fans who hate it, really really hate it. But at the time it sold in massive numbers, it still sells very well for a 7 year old book/event. Frankly if they want to adapt popular stories, it would be near the top of the list based on numbers! (rightly or wrongly but such is the executive mind... :/)

I really liked Civil War. Still do. Plenty do.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Not everyone hated Civil War.

Civil War was a pretty historic event and is an "evergreen" seller for Marvel. Saying everyone hated it is a colossal exaggeration.

Personally, I had problems with the story (particularly with how Tony Stark's side were turned into complete villains and simply became a stand-in for the Bush administration) but did I hate it? Absolutely not. It got me back into comics and I was pleasantly surprised at how topical and relevant the story was at the time. Not to mention the fact that it was probably the first superhero comic event that didn't feature heroes teaming up against some giant universe eating bad guy or something.
    Keep in mind that the story ended with Steve turning himself in and Marvel has gone on record as saying that the Pro-reg side was supposed to be right all along.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Keep in mind that the story ended with Steve turning himself in and Marvel has gone on record as saying that the Pro-reg side was supposed to be right all along.
    Ugh, that makes it even worse. There was no way I could root for the pro-reg side after that shit they pulled with the prison and the Thor clone. I was on the anti-reg side by default, though I feel like both sides could have come to an early compromise by actually discussing things. There were clear merits to regulation that I feel Steve would have considered. All in all, I felt like the conflict was extremely forced and everyone was ooc. I still bought the whole thing though, and I was certainly entertained by it. But being entertained by something in the short run doesn't mean the same thing for the long-run. You couldn't pay me to reread it.

BANNED

It led to the creation of the Mephistoverse so I'm not exactly thrilled about revisiting it in any shape or form unless it was to undo it