Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Of course not everyone hates it. It was the defining story of the last decade.

I R missing something? All that Marvel has said is that Stark will be appearing in Cap3. All the excitable 'Avengers3 will be CW confirmed!!11!' stuff is pure fan speculation at this point?
    Last edited by snark^; 10-14-2014 at 03:06 AM.
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I hope the Russos are reading these forums. Because they clearly care what the people want after Cap 2. They even said that they tried to make it "Honest Trailer-proof." And if they know how many people hate Civil War they can 86 the idea.
    These forums don't represent the people. Comic readers are a small minority of the superhero film target audience.

For all its flaws, the basic idea of Civil War was still excellent. I hate that the consequences have been mostly swept under the rug.

I liked it overall. I think at times it was a little off or went a little too far, but it was still a very entertaining sociopolitical analogy of the time it was written with its security versus freedom theme.
    As events go, this worked for me. The only negative point that come from it was the One More Day nonsense, but i place the blame for that **** up solely on Quesada's shoulders.

As for the news regarding the adaptation of the story to film, i really don't get the point of it. The story works better in a universe with lots of super powered people, which i don't think it's the case with Marvel's cinematic universe yet.
    Last edited by Fifolet; 10-14-2014 at 03:20 AM.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Civil War like some current marvel crossovers was more hype than story and relied on the obsession of Marvel heroes fighting each other, and the spidey unmasking gimmick. I didn't hate it but i don't reread any issues of it a bought either.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-14-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I lost my issues a few years ago but before that I'd read it a dozen times. The seven issues by themselves made for a fun storyline and some of the tie-ins were even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Civil War made for good toilet paper.
    Niece idea for a new product, toilet paper with civil war drawings on it.
    I also didn't like it mainly because Reed and Tony were ............. extremely insane and there was a lot of betraying involved ultimate the whole story was pointless and damaged a lot of characters.
    Yeah I hate it a lot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by coffeelad View Post
    Ugh, that makes it even worse. There was no way I could root for the pro-reg side after that **** they pulled with the prison and the Thor clone. I was on the anti-reg side by default, though I feel like both sides could have come to an early compromise by actually discussing things. There were clear merits to regulation that I feel Steve would have considered. All in all, I felt like the conflict was extremely forced and everyone was ooc. I still bought the whole thing though, and I was certainly entertained by it. But being entertained by something in the short run doesn't mean the same thing for the long-run. You couldn't pay me to reread it.

yeah, just making it the right side all along which has been proven right for years is just really lazy. not just stupid but lazy and pointless

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fifolet View Post
    I liked it overall. I think at times it was a little off or went a little too far, but it was still a very entertaining sociopolitical analogy of the time it was written with its security versus freedom theme.
    As events go, this worked for me. The only negative point that come from it was the One More Day nonsense, but i place the blame for that **** up solely on Quesada's shoulders.

As for the news regarding the adaptation of the story to film, i really don't get the point of it. The story works better in a universe with lots of super powered people, which i don't think it's the case with Marvel's cinematic universe yet.
    especially since civil war like all events is a pretty long story that works better on tv because of its length so we can expect ties ins to the story for film like TASM 3, the sinister six, black cat, cap 3, iron man 4, captain marvel, black panther and for tv like agents of shield, daredevil, web of spiderman(not confirmed but perfect title), Alias, heroes for hire, etc.

I didn't particularly enjoy it, but it was extremely popular. Don't confuse the online community's reaction with the audience's reaction, overall.

As far as a movie goes, I think the themes of the story were strong and relevant; it was the execution that really fell apart. Since it'll obviously have to be heavily adapted for the screen and for the MCU setting anyway, I don't think the failures of the comic book version are necessarily relevant.

Civil War was a very successful event. It just seems that way because a small group of readers consistently speak on how much they didn't like it. It's the same for most things on the internet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    so back in like 2007 alot of people really seem to dispise civil war saying that the way it's written is too doom, it didin't make a whole lot of sense, mark millar didn't do good in handling these characters, everyone seemed way out of character, the ending was pointless etc. but then suddenly years later people were prasing civil war like it was made from god or something and wanted it to be adapted into film(i would've gone with tv) and yet a couple of people still made fun of the book. i know it's opinions andf all but with all of the changes overtime i'm notcing a bunch of people who went from ditest to love and i still didn't like this series. it's got some great ideas but it just makes the character feel out of characters, their ideas are bs, and a couple of characters seem to be unlikable and some of the writing seem way too forced. i also didhn't lkike the idea of mind controling villains and that bitchy lady especially her reappearance back at fear itslelf.

say if civil war can get attention of a need to be adapted why can't fear itself? sure it's worse than civil war but i love the concept and thought it had better potential than civil war. it would've gone more with the character's psychology like spiderman, she hulk, hawkeye, wolverine, captain america, tony stark, captain marvel, etc.
    Say wat u will but we/SZ luvd CW, its d last best event Marvel has had....is der any event dat has bn any betta?

And CW wud also b a gr8 perfect opprtunity 2 intro nu heroes & villains in2 d cinematic MU in a mo' unik way without going thru d whole traditional type concept or introducing each hero separately.

And sum really interesting specul8ns here:

Marvel’s ‘Civil War': 5 Things You Should Know
    October 13, 2014 | 08:06PM PT
    Senior TV Editor
    Brian Steinberg
    Senior TV Editor @bristei
    http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ma...ow-1201329224/

Will fans of the blockbuster “Avengers” series of movies bite? Below, a few issues (not the printed kind) to consider:

1) *Real life has intruded upon the comics before…
    Marvel isn’t the first to inject a little reality into the world of costumed adventuring. Rival DC Comics, owned by Time Warner, has used the “what if our heroes had to deal with real life” theme in some of its most memorable works. In the 1970s, writer Dennis O’Neil and artist Neal Adams crafted a series of comics featuring Green Arrow and Green Lantern taking a trip across America and forced to deal with the problems of poverty, racism and drug abuse (even Green Arrow’s sidekick developed a heroin addiction). In 2004, writer Brad Meltzer and artist Rags Morales unveiled “Identity Crisis,” which forced the Justice League and other heroes to deal with the fact that their loved ones would be natural targets for anyone who wanted to gain revenge on them (the Elongated Man’s wife was among the casualties).

2) *Captain America faces death….
    The Star-Spangled Avenger can face down enemy spies, weapons of mass destruction, even kooky villains like Batroc the Leaper (don’t ask) .But can he escape death ordered by the company that publishes his adventures? As part of the “Civil War” storyline, Captain America is assassinated after he is taken into custody by government agency S.H.I.E.L.D. (don’t worry, kids: he comes back like every other dead superhero). Can Marvel keep one of its more successful movie franchises going if the hero at the center of the thing is dead, lost, or –shudder – replaced by another actor?

3) *There’s another big superhero battle brewing a few weeks earlier….
    Just as “Civil War” will show Captain America taking on Iron Man, DC Comics has plans for something similar. “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice” is expected to launch in theaters on March 25, 2016, while “Captain America 3,” which will kick off the “Civil War” storyline, is supposed to debut May 6, 2016. Will fans line up for both?

4) *The pivotal event that kicks off “Civil War” features a bunch of C-listers….
    At the heart of the debate in “Civil War” is an ill-fated attempt by a group of lesser-known Marvel heroes known as the New Warriors (Namorita and Speedball are among their ranks) to tackle villain Nitro in Stamford, Conn. As a result of the battle, the northeastern city is decimated and hundreds are killed. Will comics fans spend their social-media time trying to figure out who will be cast as some of these younger unknowns?

5) *Marvel may have to unveil dozens of new Avengers
    … Just as Captain America and Iron Man split, so too does Marvel’s best-known super-team, the Avengers. Different teams sprout up around each hero. On Cap’s side: Daredevil, Luke Cage, The Falcon, Black Panther and Hulkling. On Iron Man’s: Ms. Marvel, Ares and Black Widow.

I think the argument could be made that Civil War really killed some aspects of comic books.

It was the second worst thing to ever happen to comics IMO, aside from the (self) destruction of the Ultimate line.

It sold and was successful in the short term, but it had no positive effect on the comics and some of the success relayed heavily on excellent marketing, packaging and hype.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 10-14-2014 at 07:19 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Of course not everyone hates it. It was the defining story of the last decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    These forums don't represent the people. Comic readers are a small minority of the superhero film target audience.

For all its flaws, the basic idea of Civil War was still excellent. I hate that the consequences have been mostly swept under the rug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifolet View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I lost my issues a few years ago but before that I'd read it a dozen times. The seven issues by themselves made for a fun storyline and some of the tie-ins were even better.
    Glad 2 knw we/SZ aint alone...agrd & cosignd 2 all d abv.

Civil War was great. A vocal minority on CBR and Newsarama didn't like it, but it was extremely popular.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum