Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

you know, i also hope fear iotself gets adaptwed into televsion and films as tie ins because i believe that series had alot of potential as it would've explored some relatability, psychology, horror, reflectiuon of the world today, symbolism, etc.

I've read better and worse comics. It's really not a huge deal for me. It's just a well marketed event. Miller and McNiven made some entertaining comics.
    Last edited by Canucked; 10-14-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

I will admit, Civil War did push me into reading comics, but even back then, some things didn't feel right to me.

I mean, lines like "Paris and Lohan are waiting upstairs for you Jonny" and "The sex was to build your immunity" are really bad. I also thought it was riding the hype of the anti-government sentiments that were all over the Bush Administration years. I did love the atmosphere and the art, but everything felt so cheap. Like it was a basic action movie where reason went out the window.

What kills me is that so many people act like it's the greatest Marvel comic story ever. Heck, people voted it the 2nd most important Marvel story of all time! It also plagued us with hero vs. hero events. I don't know.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

I loved Civil War myself, although when I read it intially I didn't have as much baggage in the universe as I do now to see anyone as being uncharacteristic. I like the ideas behind it, I absolutely love the artwork, and there were great ideas about it about the SHRA; although as all events do, by 2014 it has no lasting effects at all, really. Just another stitch within the superhero tapestry.

At the moment, I see no reason why Marvel need to revisit it, besides commercial reasons, and put out a "Volume 2". Obviously we'll have to see how Secret Wars plays out first, but it seems premature to announce a summer 2015 event now when it's going to create a mixture of hype, bemusement and anger and no clue what's coming next. It begs the question: House of M 2? Secret Invasion 2? It might turn out to be a really worthwhile book, but at the moment it seems like Marvel is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    I loved Civil War myself, although when I read it intially I didn't have as much baggage in the universe as I do now to see anyone as being uncharacteristic. I like the ideas behind it, I absolutely love the artwork, and there were great ideas about it about the SHRA; although as all events do, by 2014 it has no lasting effects at all, really. Just another stitch within the superhero tapestry.

At the moment, I see no reason why Marvel need to revisit it, besides commercial reasons, and put out a "Volume 2". Obviously we'll have to see how Secret Wars plays out first, but it seems premature to announce a summer 2015 event now when it's going to create a mixture of hype, bemusement and anger and no clue what's coming next. It begs the question: House of M 2? Secret Invasion 2? It might turn out to be a really worthwhile book, but at the moment it seems like Marvel is scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    I think what's happening is we're getting a feedback loop with the movies.

The movies are based on previous comics, the comics then base themselves off the movies. So whatever the movies do sets the comics back in time to that point. So Civil War movie? Civil War like event in comics. It's gonna be weird if in the future, they start revisiting the revisted stuff.

I kind of enjoyed Civil War when I first read it (back when I first got into comics), but it's less enjoyable with every reading. The second half's flaws ruin pretty much everything that worked about the first half.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Saying everyone hated Civil War is like saying comic book fans hate Bendis (arguably the most commercially sucessful comic writer at Marvel) or saying every wrestling fan hates John Cena (who probably sells more merchandise than the rest of the WWE lockeroom combined).

A very vocal minority on the internet can does not necessarily represent the fan base as a whole. It just sometimes feels that way.
    Pretty much.
    I didn't hate it, the main series had some great art, and standard Millarisms (everyone being a dick, etc). We did get a wonderful Ellis/Deodato Thunderbolts run from the fallout, as well as some great Cap stories from Brubaker and Epting.
    Hard to hate something that led to great comics.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    I SAY CIVIL WAR WORKS BETTER AS A SHOW SINCE THERE ARE ALOT OF THINGS THAT NEED SOME EXPLORING LIKE THE CHARACTERS, THE LAWS, THE CHAARCTER DEVELOPMENT, SPIDERMAN'S MORALITY, THE CHARACTERS' MORALITY, ETC.

i also noticed i used capslock but i'm too lazy to change it :P
    It could be a concept that appears in multiple movies and the TV shows. That would be pretty crazy, and I doubt they'd do it that way, but it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think a lot of newer fans liked it but those fans that have been around a while tended to hate it. But we still bought it because that's what we comic book fans do. I second the opinion that Tony and Reed were handled horribly by Millar. Being around long enough to remember when Reed and all of the Fantastic Four were against a similar scheme and actually went to a congressional hearing to testify against it just served to make me dismiss any of Millar's characterization. I guess this is where being a long time fan works against it IMO. And Sue leaving the children behind was something I didn't buy into either. And now no one remembers Peter Parkers unmasking. At least Black Suit Spidey lasted longer from Secret Wars and then you got Venom out of it.
    I'm an older fan and I was fine with it. Comics are a product of their times...so I think that sometimes we have to let how a comic relates to the real world trump how the comic relates to past stories. I just accept that as part of the superhero genre.

Plus, the world changed from those old Simonson issues. Why couldn't Reed's or anyone else's opinions on the matter change along with it?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The problem with Civil War was that it relied on heroes not talking with one another, even though they are good friends at all other times.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    The problem with Civil War was that it relied on heroes not talking with one another, even though they are good friends at all other times.
    Cap doing a dirty handshake to Tony when Tony wanted to negotiate always seemed beneath Cap.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I'm an older fan and I was fine with it. Comics are a product of their times...so I think that sometimes we have to let how a comic relates to the real world trump how the comic relates to past stories. I just accept that as part of the superhero genre.

Plus, the world changed from those old Simonson issues. Why couldn't Reed's or anyone else's opinions on the matter change along with it?
    I don't think he would have but that's my opinon. Do you really think though that Reed would build a Negative Zone prison to keep the non-compliant? I think that was going way too far. Of course, Millar just glossed over some of the legal ramifications and was undoubtedly making a parallel to the Guantanamo Bay detention camp. I don't see Reed going that direction and it would be a bit hypocritical since there's been a lot of times you could say (and Robinson does this in the current FF) that Reed has put NYC in danger by having a Negative Zone portal right there in the Baxter Building.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Civil War even makes me hate my cats.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

the art was gorgeous..

Millar's defense of the premise was often smarmy.. and the conclusion was dissatisfying. It all just "ended."

I think Civil War was my first trade paperback and really got me interested in modern comics (in the late 90s I was introduced to video games and comics at the same time, video games took over for almost a decade and the only comics I would buy were old), I loved the story originally but after time I've grown to dislike the story and the characterization of much of the characters. I blame Civil War for One More Day in Spider-Man, my favorite superhero gets one of the worst storylines in the character's history because of a ridiculous event! Ugh!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    I will admit, Civil War did push me into reading comics, but even back then, some things didn't feel right to me.

I mean, lines like "Paris and Lohan are waiting upstairs for you Jonny" and "The sex was to build your immunity" are really bad. I also thought it was riding the hype of the anti-government sentiments that were all over the Bush Administration years. I did love the atmosphere and the art, but everything felt so cheap. Like it was a basic action movie where reason went out the window.

What kills me is that so many people act like it's the greatest Marvel comic story ever. Heck, people voted it the 2nd most important Marvel story of all time! It also plagued us with hero vs. hero events. I don't know.
    which means it beated storys like kraven's last hunt, the death of gwen stacey, age of apocolypse, etc. WTF!?! that's like putting fear itself in the #1 spot of top 100 best comics