Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    He didn't hate Magneto. That is just complete malarkey.
    Nor was his character and integrity in any way destroyed.
    Well, he did say afterwards that he hated Magneto, but I guess he could've been lying.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    I've never heard of it, what issues is it and does it have any MAGNETO, MASTER OF MAGNETISM!
    Yes and No... As pointed out by another poster confusion at the end of his run. I can't spoil it for you if you plan on reading his work.

YES! It has the best Magneto story ever!

New X-Men is basically X-Men volume 2, just retitled for our fabulous comic diva from the 5th dimension Grant Morrison.
    His run runs from issues 114 to 154 (40 issues + Annual by Yu).
    That is not Magneto -- It's Xorn!

BANNED

It sounds FANTASTIC!!!!!

I just won the first trade from eBay for £60! Can't wait to read it!!! These new characters look amazing!

Wait till you get to the bus issue. Pure FANGASM!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I will just say: it's extremely divisive. For the most part I'm in the middle ground, but the ability to really like it comes with the possibility of really hating it.

It sounds FANTASTIC!!!!!

I just won the first trade from eBay for £60! Can't wait to read it!!! These new characters look amazing!
    ROFL. Academy X and Morrison's New X-Men are actually two entirely different books.

You could be making a brilliant joke, but I hope you didn't just completely get the wrong book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    That is not Magneto -- It's Xorn!
    If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's Magneto.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    Well, he did say afterwards that he hated Magneto, but I guess he could've been lying.
    In GM's own words

"Planet X," my penultimate story arc, was a step too far for both me and long-term X-fans when I "ruined" Magneto (leader of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, as played in the movie versions by Sir Ian McKellan*). The Master of Magnetism's high standing in an organisation unafraid to use the word 'evil' in it's calling cards notwithstanding, Chris Claremont had spent some considerable time developing the archvillain from his origins as a one note terror merchant in 1963 to a sensitive romantic antihero. Claremont's Magneto was a tragic, essentially noble survivior of the death camps, a man who had witnessed more than his fair share of sorrow and hardship and knew how to make hard choices. He had depth and dignity so i turned him into a demented drug addict, unable to connect with a younger generation of mutants who only wanted his face on their Magneto was Right T-shirt, like a latter-day Che Guevara."

After Claremont's run, it is the most important run in X-Men history(Stan's 05 era is the original, but let's be real...). He really brought a definitive vision and reinterpreted the franchise. That said, when Claremont left, they were able to coast by on his concepts for over a decade(to this day in many regards), whereas when Morrison left, almost everything he built collapsed or was retconned. There are some vestiges of his work still in play(the large school with tons of students concept(taken from Fox's X1), Quire, the Cuckoos, Emma as an X-Man, Fantomex), but in lesser hands, they have lost almost all of their efficacy.

Some amazing stories in that run, though, for sure. Riot at Xavier's, Xorn, the silent issue, and Cassandra Nova were spectacular to behold, for example.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I couldn't get past Quitely's art. His All-Star Superman was awesome...but here, Emma and Jean looked like Stewie Griffin in drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dogg View Post
    I couldn't get past Quitely's art. His All-Star Superman was awesome...but here, Emma and Jean looked like Stewie Griffin in drag.
    lol.

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

It's a great run.
    The ending fell a bit flat for me, but you can forgive it for all the brilliant stuff before that.

Although I'll not soon forget him introducing a favourite new character and then taking said character away once his run was over.
    Did it with Damien Wayne too. Learn to share your toys Morrison!
    Trying to catch up on 2 years of Marvel comics.....
    Comic Book Parody - Funny comic book stuff.
    X-Men: Drama of the Atom - An unfinished Battle of the Atom parody.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's Magneto.
    Sounds right.....

Trying to catch up on 2 years of Marvel comics.....
    Comic Book Parody - Funny comic book stuff.
    X-Men: Drama of the Atom - An unfinished Battle of the Atom parody.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

It was a fun read and afew of the kids are stll cool but in limbo mostly

Didn't Morrison plan on making Planet X Magneto's swan song? You know until they retconned it to be Xorn (Who the heck wrote that, since that barely made any sense)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dogg View Post
    I never understood the hate for Quietly's art. It is so clean, crisp, and different from what else is out there. His Cassandra Nova was perfection and riveting:

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anthony_lynch15 View Post
    It's a great run.
    The ending fell a bit flat for me, but you can forgive it for all the brilliant stuff before that.

Although I'll not soon forget him introducing a favourite new character and then taking said character away once his run was over.
    Did it with Damien Wayne too. Learn to share your toys Morrison!
    Good idea: Bringing back Xorn
    Bad idea: Having Chuck Austen do it (or anything X-related)

Astonishing Member

I know I'm in the minority but I thought his run was terrible...it was full of mischaracterization and left the X-Men in a very bad place that Marvel had to write some really bad stories to try and get out of (and still haven't succeeded)...he was worse than Chuck Austen because at least Chuck Austen's run is mostly ignored...Morrison's run is still crapping on the x-books even now.

The only good thing he did was adding Emma Frost to the X-Men.