Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonofspam1972 View Post
    I never ever said conservative.
    Well, then can I ask who you think is going to protest? Butch liberals?

I'm just not sure I get what/who you are worried about. Not trying to mean, Mods. I just am not clear on this.

Yes I get in the early 2000s Bryan Singer didn't add any LGBT to his X-Men, he's not really one to extend the door to others as it is but back then was even a more conservative time. TV in general skews more progressive since ad revenue and budget can be adjusted over the run, it's not reliant on that one opening weekend spectacle. They can introduce concepts over time and in different ways. ABC's "Revenge" had a male character who was shown with women, then revealed to be bi after waking up with a guy.
    I doubt they'd have Constantine with a guy right off the bat, it wouldn't be true to his character anyway. He seems predominantly with women but not always.

We can make a guess at what type of an audience is attracted to shows like these, generally less traditional than even mutants and superheroes get. Saul has a point in Torchwood, I mean the character here is even British. Everyone hopes British guys are Bi, look at Sherlock fans.

No offense Pretender but if Constantine came out of the closet (even half-way) on this show most of middle america would have a hissy fit just look at all the rage that happens with "colorblind" casting like the Human Torch and you amplify it by about 50.

They havent for the gay characters on Nashville which is on ABC. I think you are completely offbase.

No offense Pretender but if Constantine came out of the closet (even half-way) on this show most of middle America would have a hissy fit just look at all the rage that happens with "colorblind" casting like the Human Torch and you amplify it by about 50.
    But they're upset that Johnny Storm is being made different from the comic. Making Constantine heterosexual would also be going against the established comic character...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve068 View Post
    But they're upset that Johnny Storm is being made different from the comic. Making Constantine heterosexual would also be going against the established comic character...
    It's a pretty minor aspect of the character though. He existed for like 12 years with the assumption that he was heterosexual. Then he had some brief flings, and I'm not sure if it was ever brought up again. A lot of people weren't really happy with it either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hydro123456 View Post
    It's a pretty minor aspect of the character though. He existed for like 12 years with the assumption that he was heterosexual. Then he had some brief flings, and I'm not sure if it was ever brought up again. A lot of people weren't really happy with it either.
    And that's the point. It's a pretty minor aspect of the character but it's part of the character. Changing it would serve no purpose, at all, so there is no reason to change it other than homophobia or keeping homophobes happy (and who wants to keep homophobes specifically happy other than the homophobes themselves).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    A) You skimmed through Azzarello's run?

B) True, but the fact that it's a non issue is the point, there is no reason to omit it and a bunch of bad implications if they do.
    I remember basic,s Hard Times was him right?
    And..the bit where he went to the hillbilly village that was doing creepy sex videos.
    I just think when you list things that make up john constantine, him being bisexual wouldn't be in the top ten list of things that are important to the character. All of his developed relationships were with women.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I remember basic,s Hard Times was him right?
    And..the bit where he went to the hillbilly village that was doing creepy sex videos.
    I just think when you list things that make up john constantine, him being bisexual wouldn't be in the top ten list of things that are important to the character. All of his developed relationships were with women.
    I agree, but to make the point of making him heterosexual,in other words, for them to say: ''no, he is not bi, he is straight.'' would be problematic.

And yeah, that was some fked up run... I kinda love it.

I hope that eventually there are guest spots for Papa Midnite, Swamp Thing, Zatanna and Boston Brand.

BANNED

No offense Pretender but if Constantine came out of the closet (even half-way) on this show most of middle america would have a hissy fit just look at all the rage that happens with "colorblind" casting like the Human Torch and you amplify it by about 50.
    Middle America couldn't give less of a rat's ass about Johnny Storm being black or about Constantine's sexuality. The only people "enraged" over it one way or the other are comic fans who equate fidelity to the source material with actual story quality when, in fact, they have no relationship to each other whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope that eventually there are guest spots for Papa Midnite, Swamp Thing, Zatanna and Boston Brand.
    Never heard of Papa Midnight but Swampthing seems a little far fetched. I could see Boston Brand showing up where you werent sure if it was really his ghost or just John's subconscious(sp)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Never heard of Papa Midnight but Swampthing seems a little far fetched. I could see Boston Brand showing up where you werent sure if it was really his ghost or just John's subconscious(sp)
    Papa Midnite is an inmortal Vodoo Priest from Jamaica who lived in New York as a mob boss. He wasn't as misrepresented in the movie as John himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Papa Midnite is an inmortal Vodoo Priest from Jamaica who lived in New York as a mob boss. He wasn't as misrepresented in the movie as John himself.

Oh yeah I remember him in the movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Oh yeah I remember him in the movie.
    He was considerably more villainous than how he was in the movie, way more ruthless, also John apparently owed him $50K for a magic item that he stole. Though they liked each other enough for Midnite to cameo as a guest in John's wedding.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyZERO View Post
    Really looking forward to this. I'm a sucker for supernatural-ish show
    You know, I just learned that Eric Kripke (creator of Supernatural) is a Hellblazer fan, and some aspects of his 5 season run is based on stuff from Hellblazer. Castiel's look, famously, and The Colt is based on The Ace of Winchesters from Ennis' run.

I hope this wont lead to people (tumblr) claiming that this series is copying Supernatural.