Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Those Who Didn't Like Azz's Run, What Can The Finchs Do To Win You Back?

For those that didn't care for Azzarello's run and perhaps stopped reading the book, what can the Finchs do to win you back? Please be realistic as I think we all know that a total reboot isn't coming any time soon.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Retcon out the sex pirate Amazons, without discussion. Simply establish that it was no more than another of the gods' lies. Get rid of it, without letting it be a plot point or any such thing.

No more talk of being God of War. Never mind that it unsexes her, you don't need to retcon it away, just don't mention it again. If it can't be gotten rid of entirely, at least call her a goddess. Jeez....

The same with Zeus being her father. Just put it in the quiet box. She can get through an entire issue without alluding to it, can't she?

Give her a life of her own. Zola could actually be a good character to keep around; give her a libido equal to Etta Candy's appetite and use this as grounds for amusement. I also don't mind that Wonder Woman occasionally has to babysit. She needs more Amazon connections with named characters, and a life outside the costume, none of which have been supplied by Azzarello at all as far as I can tell.

For the love of God, make the book unserious in tone and fun to read.

No more gods. If they appear they need to be back in their togas.
    Last edited by SteveGus; 10-14-2014 at 08:35 PM.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

At this point I see no salvaging the damage. All I can tell him is good luck.

Nothing, realistically. Almost everything Azz did with WW really insulted me as a fan.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Retcon out the sex pirate Amazons, without discussion. Simply establish that it was no more than another of the gods' lies. Get rid of it, without letting it be a plot point or any such thing.

No more talk of being God of War. Never mind that it unsexes her, you don't need to retcon it away, just don't mention it again. If it can't be gotten rid of entirely, at least call her a goddess. Jeez....

The same with Zeus being her father. Just put it in the quiet box. She can get through an entire issue without alluding to it, can't she?

Give her a life of her own. Zola could actually be a good character to keep around; give her a libido equal to Etta Candy's appetite and use this as grounds for amusement. I also don't mind that Wonder Woman occasionally has to babysit. She needs more Amazon connections with named characters, and a life outside the costume, none of which have been supplied by Azzarello at all as far as I can tell.

Oh.

Okay, well now I have nothing to say LOL.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Fantastic Member butterfingers158's Avatar

Making it Wonder Woman instead of The Greek Gods: Featuring Wonder Woman will probably be enough for me.

Spectacular Member

Bring back Ferdinand!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Here's my list(some of which it appears that the Finchs are already doing):

- Make the book seem like it is more connected to the rest of the New 52.

- Use and modernize the rogues gallery: Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, Queen Clea, Dr. Poison, Osira, Angle Man, Baron Blitzkreig, Gudra, Red Panzer, Armegeddon, Kung, Zara, The Mask, Aegeus, Minister Blizzard, etc.

- Cut way back on the deviant subjects like adultery, sex-raids, and canibalism.

- Make the Amazons an inspiring race of people again.

- Bring in Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, Donna Troy, Artemis, Nubia. and Nemesis.

- Put the Olympians on the back burner so that they're only seen once or twice a year.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkieGal View Post
    At this point I see no salvaging the damage. All I can tell him is good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    Nothing, realistically. Almost everything Azz did with WW really insulted me as a fan.
    You're probably right. Azzarello has already killed my interest in the entire DC universe. Then again, given the general tone of the events and the state of the other books I don't think I am missing much. I doubt I will be around for the next reboot, but I don't see things getting any better while Didio and Harras are in charge.

Not interested in the cartoons either after Flashpoint Paradox and JL: War. Not interested in the movies if they'll be made in the image of Man of Steel, and if we're getting a Frank Miller retread in Superman v. Batman, to hell with it. Ye gods, that's been done to death. DC has done just about everything it could to push me away as a fan. I can't think of any of the DC characters I've always enjoyed without feeling sad inside.

(This is also a problem for Sensation Comics and probably Wonder Woman 77. I feel like I'm being patronized here. Books like those ought to be the continuity titles and Azzarello's tedious excursion into heavy grimdark should have been an elseworld.)
    Last edited by SteveGus; 10-15-2014 at 07:44 AM.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

I didn't hate the run but:
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfingers158 View Post
    Making it Wonder Woman instead of The Greek Gods: Featuring Wonder Woman will probably be enough for me.
    would be a good thing to do. She needs to be more of a focus.

More super-heroics. Wonder Woman is primarily a superhero more than a Greek myth character. Let's get back to what she does best; seeking adventure and taking down bad guys. Let's take a break from the Olympians for a long time; we've had too much of them at once. It'll finally be good to move onto her second story arc after over thirty issues.

My thoughts were the Azz run was a good story but not the best Wonder Woman story.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

may I...... join...in?

My one wish is that Meredith Finch keeps all the great Brian brought to Wonder Woman and
    clean up all the horrid he bestowed on the Amazon's

Would like to see Circe play a major part soon.
    But with the move coming up and all the books taking a break in story for a few months,
    I do not see the point of projecting this books or the Finches run beyond the next six months.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post

She'll be the daughter of Zeus in the movies as well. I dont think this is going away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    She'll be the daughter of Zeus in the movies as well. I dont think this is going away.
    Yeah, but keep in mind OP's question, "What can Finch do to win you back?" The unlikely is certainly an option.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't really need to be "won back," as I like parts of the current run. But taking a (temporary) break from the Gods, revamping some of her old villains, and making the Amazons not suck so terribly would make me more excited for this book than I have been for a while.

Also, I never ever want to see the First Born again.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't really need to be "won back," as I like parts of the current run. But taking a (temporary) break from the Gods, revamping some of her old villains, and making the Amazons not suck so terribly would make me more excited for this book than I have been for a while.

Also, I never ever want to see the First Born again.
    Agree with all of this.

I think one of the top things that I want from the Finches (beyond the revamping of a classic WW villain which they've already promised) is the return of Phillipus and more of the classic Amazons.