Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Maybe I'd read it if the Finch's had their first page showing Diana talking with her friend Wesley Dodds, and Wesley's telling her about a weird dream he had.
    Vote Goat 2020
    "Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." --Jeffrey W Kramer

Amazing Member

What should immediately change is the use of the sword to every single fight she has (or even when she argues with "friends)! It's really ridiculous for a hero in the superman class to fight everyone with a sword even those who cannot really harm her! She should use her sword only if it's impossible to harm a vilain in any other way and there is no other choice and she have to kill it to save the world otherwise if she always use her sword and threats everyone with that sword she is not really a hero!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kochtgr View Post
    What should immediately change is the use of the sword to every single fight she has (or even when she argues with "friends)!
    This should change in JL, if it hasn't already; Johns seems to have emphasized Diana's gentle side more in the last couple of issues, and if that lasts maybe it will translate into less use of the sword.

In her own book, though, she can't stop using a sword in every single fight,because she already does not use a sword or other edged weapon in every single fight. Off the top of my head (and I apologize if any of these are wrong, but I think they're right), she doesn't use such a weapon in fights in issues 11 (against Apollo), 12 and 20 (against Artemis), 14 (where, actually, she refuses to fight Sirracca at all, but only dodges her storm of blades and hugs her), or 21 (first fight against the first born). Even in the big fight against the First Born in 23, she doesn't use a lethal weapon until the very hand, when she has to sacrifice Ares to stop the First Born from becoming War. In 32, she handles the minotaur without a sword, and only summons weapons when the First Born--who, by then , has defeated Heaven, Hell and Harvest, and definitely qualifies as a life-or death emergency--shows up. There are lots of issues where she doesn't even have fights, and, since 23, I only remember seeing her use weapons a few times. One of those was ceremonial and non-violent, just to rally the returned Amazons when she came back to Paradise Island from Olympus.

(Sorry to invade this thread for people who didn't like Azz's run. I really wanted to point this out, but I'll shut up now.)
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-16-2014 at 04:25 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    This should change in JL, if it hasn't already; Johns seems to have emphasized Diana's gentle side more in the last couple of issues, and if that lasts maybe it will translate into less use of the sword.

In her own book, though, she can't stop using a sword in every single fight,because she already does not use a sword or other edged weapon in every single fight. Off the top of my head (and I apologize if any of these are wrong, but I think they're right), she doesn't use such a weapon in fights in issues 11 (against Apollo), 12 and 20 (against Artemis), 14 (where, actually, she refuses to fight Sirracca at all, but only dodges her storm of blades and hugs her), 21 (first fight against the first born), or 26 (against Cassandra's' forces). Even in the big fight against the First Born in 23, she doesn't use a lethal weapon until the very hand, when she has to sacrifice Ares to stop the First Born from becoming War. In 32, she handles the minotaur without a sword, and only summons weapons when the First Born--who, by then , has defeated Heaven, Hell and Harvest, and definitely qualifies as a life-or death emergency--shows up. There are lots of issues where she doesn't even have fights, and, since 23, I only remember seeing her use weapons a few times. One of those was ceremonial and non-violent, just to rally the returned Amazons when she came back to Paradise Island from Olympus.

(Sorry to invade this thread for people who didn't like Azz's run. I really wanted to point this out, but I'll shut up now.)
    You just can't stand to stay away from your Azz love, can you .

But, I don't like message board hyperbole as much as the next guy, so you don't have to defend Azz when someone states that she uses a sword in every fight. Most people will know, from reading the comics, that this is not true, but you will have to admit that her use of the sword and other assorted pointy weapons is on a steep rise since the nu52 started. She now has her swiss-army cuffs so that she can get her pointy weapons in a moments notice. So....while she might not use pointy weapons in every fight, her percentages upon starting the nu52 era are way higher than it was before.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    You just can't stand to stay away from your Azz love, can you .

But, I don't like message board hyperbole as much as the next guy, so you don't have to defend Azz when someone states that she uses a sword in every fight. Most people will know, from reading the comics, that this is not true, but you will have to admit that her use of the sword and other assorted pointy weapons is on a steep rise since the nu52 started. She now has her swiss-army cuffs so that she can get her pointy weapons in a moments notice. So....while she might not use pointy weapons in every fight, her percentages upon starting the nu52 era are way higher than it was before.
    The thing is, it might be a true, not-even-hyperbolic statement that she at least carries or wears swords in every fight (maybe every issue) of JL. Some people have stopped reading Azz's run but kept reading JL and/or SM/WW, and they may not realize how often she fights without swords and pointed or edged weapons in Azz's book. Others may have kept reading the book, but if they've taken in an image of the New 52's sword-wielding warrior woman, they may not have noticed how often this book's WW doesn't fit that mold. So I thought it was worth pointing out. No big deal.

The nice thing about the bracelets' new power is that she doesn't need to carry or wear weapons in every issue to have them available without notice when a massive, invulnerable threat shows up.

I will say that there's at least one issue where she uses the sword when I'd prefer she didn't--issue 26, when she's just fighting Cassandra's ordinary human henchmen. I suspect they put the swords in so she could dramatically dematerialize them, with the blue crackling energy and everything, after giving up the FB's whereabouts to save Milan. Still, I can agree that in that case the swords were unnecessary.

(I thought she didn't use swords in issue 26, and I originally listed it in my post above, but I checked and i was wrong. So, see there?--I can admit I was wrong. On the other hand, according to Wikipedia, Lynda Carter was born Linda Jean Córdova Carter--so technically I wasn't wrong that time. )

I honestly don't remember how often she used lethal weapons in Odyssey. A lot less than in Azz's book?
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-16-2014 at 05:57 AM.

BANNED

(I thought she didn't use swords in issue 26, and I originally listed it in my post above, but I checked and i was wrong. So, see there?--I can admit I was wrong. On the other hand, according to Wikipedia, Lynda Carter was born Linda Jean Córdova Carter--so technically I wasn't wrong that time. )
    I know when she was born, her name was spelled Linda, but let's face it, she has never had her name spelled that way upon becoming an actress. So, you made a mistake and spelled it the way most people would, but you are still wrong. Let's not get into technicalities

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    I know when she was born, her name was spelled Linda, but let's face it, she has never had her name spelled that way upon becoming an actress. So, you made a mistake and spelled it the way most people would, but you are still wrong. Let's not get into technicalities
    It was a mistake, of course. I didn't even know whether Linda was the spelling she was born with until I checked Wikipedia afterwards. When I said I wasn't technically wrong, I was just making a joke about it!

I feel bad for invading the thread and now being off-topic, so let me throw this in: I hope the Finches explore her life in London a little.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-16-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Loved Azz's run. I haven't finished it yet though as I dropped the book after the other two dc books I was reading Batwoman and Earth 2 had their writer's leave mid run. Really excited to read this now that's it's done. I thought it was a great run. I particularly liked the see where Wonder Woman accepted her brothers. I thought it was a powerful statement that we aren't defied by the prejudices of our society. We can evolve past them like Wonder Woman evolved past hers.

No offence to the Finches but considering DC's treatment of writers they will need to get some great press for me to read their run and I will probably wait till it reaches it's conclusion rather than jumping in. I don't have faith in DC editorial to keep the books I like going anymore.

BANNED

It was a mistake, of course. I didn't even know whether Linda was the spelling she was born with until I checked Wikipedia afterwards. When I said I wasn't technically wrong, I was just making a joke about it!
    I was just kidding with you, hence the smiley face

I'm holding out for a reboot.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Amazing Member

In her own book, though, she can't stop using a sword in every single fight,because she already does not use a sword or other edged weapon in every single fight. Off the top of my head (and I apologize if any of these are wrong, but I think they're right), she doesn't use such a weapon in fights in issues 11 (against Apollo), 12 and 20 (against Artemis), 14 (where, actually, she refuses to fight Sirracca at all, but only dodges her storm of blades and hugs her), or 21 (first fight against the first born). Even in the big fight against the First Born in 23, she doesn't use a lethal weapon until the very hand, when she has to sacrifice Ares to stop the First Born from becoming War. In 32, she handles the minotaur without a sword, and only summons weapons when the First Born--who, by then , has defeated Heaven, Hell and Harvest, and definitely qualifies as a life-or death emergency--shows up. There are lots of issues where she doesn't even have fights, and, since 23, I only remember seeing her use weapons a few times. One of those was ceremonial and non-violent, just to rally the returned Amazons when she came back to Paradise Island from Olympus.

Maybe I was overexaggerating a bit but this is the idea someone has about her if he hasn't read her before the nu52 it's what happens most of the times especially on other books she appears which are written by considering the original Wonder Woman book. I really hate it when I see Wonder Woman fighting a casual vilain with her sword! I know that this wasn't in the WW title but even in the first fight with doomsday she should first try to use her fists and lasso and then when she finds out that it's a threat to the existence of earth and she can cannot restrain it she should try to kill it with her sword!

Just use her sword when there is no hope to restrain the enemy and save the world! This is what any hero would do and it's one of the fundamental differences between a hero and a vilain, so till now the nu52 WW is not a hero she's just a bloodthirsty warrior who wants to kill anything that stands against her!
    Last edited by kochtgr; 10-16-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    Nothing, realistically. Almost everything Azz did with WW really insulted me as a fan.
    I thought I was these only one that felted that way about Azz run. Insulting!! I dropped the Azz. WW after five issues!! The five issues i bought i threw them in the trash after reading them!! But I will give the new team a chance.

I actually love Azz's run, but I get that people want to see her have a larger role in the DC Universe. It's her ongoing though y'know, so you don't want others eating up her time. I want it to be more comicy. Less Greek God stuff and more her running around holding hands with Steve Trevor and punching bank robbers, but I'll probably get that in Wonder Woman '77.

Spectacular Member

As much as I'd like to see a few things recanted that's just not going to happen. Realistically what I'd like to see is her feeling more in in sync with the rest of the DC universe. I'm not talking about crossover events. Those are over rated although I expect there will be at least one in the run. The biggest thing is shorter arcs. The current run seems to have taken place during shorter period of time when compared to everything else. Also while I don't care for crossover events I'd like to see more cameos from other characters.

Next while I don't expect them to rewrite the Amazons history I'd like to see a more positive side to the Amazons. Maybe show that they still have some of their technology, and possibly mention their psionc abilities.

Finally I'd like to see some more of Wonder Woman's central rouges come back, and a lot less of the Gods. Maybe finally see Athena but we still don't know if she'll make a last minute appearance in the current run though.

Quote Originally Posted by butterfingers158 View Post
    Making it Wonder Woman instead of The Greek Gods: Featuring Wonder Woman will probably be enough for me.
    THIS. I'm so sick of AS MOUNT OLYMPUS TURNS. Azzarello's departure in and of itself is very welcome because he just never got Diana. He's more interested in peripherals like Zola, who I find to be one of the worst characters to enter the WONDER WOMAN mythos. And Azzarello's poor excuse of an origin story irritates me to no end.

So long as the Finches focus on the title character, I'll be happy. Jettison Zola. She's a waste of space. Let's see more of who Diana is in and out of the armor and have her drive the stories instead of simply reacting to what everyone else around her has done. This is Wonder Woman's book and I'm optimistic tha the Finches get that. The Olympians should get backburnered and stay there.

Finally, Wonder Woman's inexplicable detachment from the rest of the DCU must end. The third member of the DCU Holy Trinity should not have lived in a bubble for this long. And Steve Trevor and Superman must appear in WONDER WOMAN. That they have not after almost 3 years is another epic Azzarello fail.
    Last edited by NYCER; 10-23-2014 at 09:26 PM.