Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Default The New New Age of Superheroes

So, I was looking through the latest DC v. Marvel thread and the something is wrong with the New 52 thread and people make good points, but really who cares. I keep hearing that comic books are dying, but are you looking around? Just looking over entertainment right now, comic books have taken over. The global box office has been down terribly this year, the only thing saving it is Captain America, X-Men and Guardians of the Galaxy. TV ratings have been heading down, but then The Walking Dead premiere beat Sunday Night Football, the Flash rivaled The Voice while being on the CW, Arrow continues to pull in great ratings, hell there are 4 Marvel shows on deck for Netflix and the CW is talking about the Suicide Squad. Gotham was a hit, Constantine is debuting.The best rated and nearly best selling X-Box/P4 game is Arkham City. And it just goes on. As fans of this great medium I think we are living through a Golden Age of superheroes that rivals the 50's and the early 90's. Yes, print is down, but the ideas have never been bigger - just look at Vertigo and Image and the great indie books right now. The whole point is that comic books are influencing so much. So in that spirit I will say what over the last year I've enjoyed from print, and please add whatever you want, and keep negativity out:

1. Lemire and Sorrentino flourish on Green Arrow - that was a great book, enjoyed every issue, sorry it had to end
    2. I love Lazarus every month - Rucka and Lark have a great story here
    3, It's the thing to do, but I anticipated every Hawkeye issue. Something about David Aja (when he made the deadline)
    4. Saga is one of the few comic books that make me think and touch me every issue
    5. This will upset some, but there is nothing bigger than Snyder/Capullo on Batman - whatever you think of it, its big
    6. Charles Soule on Red Lanterns, She Hulk, Swamp Thing and on...breakout writer of the year
    7. DC letting Azzarello run with Wonder Woman for 36 issues
    8. Grayson

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm game. I love any chance to be enthusiastic about my beloved hobby.

Specifically DC:

I adore Snyder and Capullo's Batman! It is one of my favourite interpretations of the character. I cannot wait for each issue, and this run has finally managed to get a good friend and my sister hooked on reading Batman comics.

Batman Eternal has been fantastic. I'm skeptical about weeklies after DC's history (52 excluded), but this has been a treasure so far.

New teams on Batgirl and Catwoman. This was needed and although only time will tell how great these runs are, I am extremely excited for these books again.

More Batman: Yep, new Batman related titles announced. I can't get enough of Batman or his world.

Speaking of... Gotham. Liked it so far.

Wonder Woman has been awesome, it's one of the few runs that has allowed me to love the character. Can't wait to see the conclusion.

Pak and Kuder on Action Comics. A dream team putting out excellent Superman books.

Tomasi and Mahnke on Superman/Wonder Woman. This should be a perfect teaming, both artistically and conceptually.

Lemire and Sorrentino's Green Arrow was exactly what the character needed. A superb run that ended very well.

Vertigo:

American Vampire. Amazing.

DC continue to release the complete Hellblazer in trades. Just finished Delano's full run for the first time. Excellent, excellent book.

Outside DC:

Edge of Spider-Verse is coming. I love Slott's Spidey and a cross-over featuring "every Spider-man ever"? Hell Yeah!!!

Superior Foes of Spider-man got to run out its course. No early cancellation. A really fun book.

Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America: Winter Soldier movies. I preferred the latter, and it reminded me to re-read Brubaker's spectacular run.

I discovered CHEW this year! I burned through all 8 trades in three months (would have been quicker if I had more cash).

Lazerus by Rucka and Lark. Two of my favourite people in the business working together again. *hums happily*

B.P.R.D. and Hellboy still exist and release stuff. I have never read a bad issue of either.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!