Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Lobo, #1

The all-new Lobo brings the ultraviolence to his new ongoing series! If the first few blood-soaked pages of this issue don't shock you - nothing will!

Full article here.

Art looks good ... can't wait to see the "blood-soaked pages", I knew they wouldn't show them off in the Preview!

BTW Bunn has been doing incredible work on Magneto ... looking forward to his take on Lobo
    Last edited by friendly-fire-press; 10-01-2014 at 03:18 AM.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was okay but quite unimpressive.

Not liking Bunn's work in DC so far.

Fantastic Member

Bahahahaha. THIS is New52 Lobo? I guess they kinda forgot what made Lobo unique. Good luck with this neutered cub.
    Currently Reading: A handful of series that will be canceled soon.

All-New Member

I'll miss the REAL Lobo. Not Ryan-Gosling-Lobo over here.

Also, his bike looks a bit too much like this: http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2.../1/15/ITSP.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by spiritualgorila View Post

Also, his bike looks a bit too much like this: http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2.../1/15/ITSP.jpg
    kinda reminds me more of this
    http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...43/YGO11-3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by spiritualgorila View Post

But Ryan Gosling is a beautiful man. And was amazing in Drive

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post
    But Ryan Gosling is a beautiful man. And was amazing in Drive
    Gosling is amazing in everything

This looks good; I wish that DC would have called this character anything else than Lobo. I'm sure in a year it will be a live action show on TheCW with a stereotypical thin, boyish, actor as Lobo.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Thought this was okay but quite unimpressive.

Not liking Bunn's work in DC so far.
    You don't like Sinestro? I think it's quite good

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    You don't like Sinestro? I think it's quite good
    I don't think is terrible but I don't think is great either. The story is okay, the characterization is okay, the relationships are okay, worldbuilding is okay, the ideas are okay, that's my biggest problem, is just okay.

I should have especified, I'm not loving Bunn's work in DC so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I don't think is terrible but I don't think is great either. The story is okay, the characterization is okay, the relationships are okay, worldbuilding is okay, the ideas are okay, that's my biggest problem, is just okay.

I should have especified, I'm not loving Bunn's work in DC so far.
    Yeah, Bunn seems to be one of those guys: fantastic creator-owned work.....generally mediocre Marvel and DC work, although Magneto is a cut above.

Matt Kindt has had the same thing - mediocre, often forgettable, Marvel and DC work but superlative creator-owned work.

Astonishing Member

I read this just so I could say I gave Bunn a fair shake and I wouldn't be a stubborn bastiche about it. And I've had a one-liner worked out all day so let me just say:

Lobo? More like Low-Blow ...

But you know, that being said ... while I completely object to propping up a remake by knocking down a fan-favorite, and I thought the book itself was a bit ... "stock" or "standard" without the hilariousness and anti-charm of the Main Man to the point where it's no longer elevated beyond just being sort of wooden and boring action comics ... I did feel like the intro scene where Fauxbo killed the Main Man hinted that it wasn't as over-and-done as it looked. He took out our old bastiche buddy, but Real Lobo's comments seemed more like hints at future developments, integrations and resets than shocking new character hype. And then there's that getting faint and woozy when he "kills" the Main Man's head. As if they're connected somehow.

So I probably won't continue reading. But the art was pretty and he really did do good work with the ultra-violence. But without hilarious Main Man, sonuvabastiche dialogue, death metal and imagining the dude from Everybody Loves Raymond doing the voice, I couldn't get into him!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I read this just so I could say I gave Bunn a fair shake and I wouldn't be a stubborn bastiche about it. And I've had a one-liner worked out all day so let me just say:

Lobo? More like Low-Blow ...

But you know, that being said ... while I completely object to propping up a remake by knocking down a fan-favorite, and I thought the book itself was a bit ... "stock" or "standard" without the hilariousness and anti-charm of the Main Man to the point where it's no longer elevated beyond just being sort of wooden and boring action comics ... I did feel like the intro scene where Fauxbo killed the Main Man hinted that it wasn't as over-and-done as it looked. He took out our old bastiche buddy, but Real Lobo's comments seemed more like hints at future developments, integrations and resets than shocking new character hype. And then there's that getting faint and woozy when he "kills" the Main Man's head. As if they're connected somehow.

So I probably won't continue reading. But the art was pretty and he really did do good work with the ultra-violence. But without hilarious Main Man, sonuvabastiche dialogue, death metal and imagining the dude from Everybody Loves Raymond doing the voice, I couldn't get into him!
    Yeah, that was my impression coming out of the preview. Not surprised to see that the issue ended up being the same. Nu Lobo is just bland - just your standard, "badass," taciturn, anti-hero. Meh.

The Main Man is so exaggerated, goofy, and over-the-top that while he wouldn't guarantee a good comic, it certainly wouldn't be this bland. That's been my biggest issue with nu Lobo....not that he's no longer hyper-masculine, or that he's been "Twilighted" or whatever....but rather that the sense of humour and general ridiculousness is gone, only to be replaced by something bland and "serious." Then again, I know I've seen people make that complaint all over the place regarding the New 52.

Honestly, this new Lobo is so utterly unremarkable and non-compelling that I think it's very possible that this book will be gone after a short run....Lobo will be forgotten for a while, and then ultimately the old Main Man will start making guest appearances again, with nu Lobo either forgotten or killed. Sort of like what happened at Marvel when they tried to replace the Vulture with a new Vulture....never took off, new Vulture disappeared for a while, ended up getting killed by the Punisher, and the old Vulture is brought back in.
    Last edited by King's_Gambit; 10-01-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by King's_Gambit View Post
    Yeah, that was my impression coming out of the preview. Not surprised to see that the issue ended up being the same. Nu Lobo is just bland - just your standard, "badass," taciturn, anti-hero. Meh.

The Main Man is so exaggerated, goofy, and over-the-top that while he wouldn't guarantee a good comic, it certainly wouldn't be this bland. That's been my biggest issue with nu Lobo....not that he's no longer hyper-masculine, or that he's been "Twilighted" or whatever....but rather that the sense of humour and general ridiculousness is gone, only to be replaced by something bland and "serious." Then again, I know I've seen people make that complaint all over the place regarding the New 52.

Honestly, this new Lobo is so utterly unremarkable and non-compelling that I think it's very possible that this book will be gone after a short run....Lobo will be forgotten for a while, and then ultimately the old Main Man will start making guest appearances again, with nu Lobo either forgotten or killed. Sort of like what happened at Marvel when they tried to replace the Vulture with a new Vulture....never took off, new Vulture disappeared for a while, ended up getting killed by the Punisher, and the old Vulture is brought back in.
    Yeah. That is true. You could have replaced this "lobo" with either current versions of Deadshot or Deathstroke and it wouldn't have affected the story at all.

I prefer my Lobo to be guilt free.