Default Trinity of Sin #1 discussion

Spoilers incoming,

Question thinking about random **** that we saw in preview. Gets
    attacked by some demon and fights him. Honestly it kinda feels repetitive of what we saw at the start of Phantom Stranger where he was also pretending to be someone else and living with normal humans to feel better about himself.
    Next is Stranger, together with Terrance, trying to stop some poltergeist. He goes into the center of the poltergeist and finds dead boy there, some murder victim.
    Stranger hugs him and all is well, boy leaves for heaven. They talk a little about Zauriel and Terrance gets a sword thru his chest. Another demon who works for same (probably) master as first one. Terrance soul is now in his sword, obviously they start fighting.
    Pandora is in the beach feeling good about herself. Her happy moment ends soon as third bad guy appears and fights her.
    Pandora feels some connection with Stranger and Question, she/they do some kinda enchantment and beat the crap out of the bad guys.
    We can see Question using Spear of Destiny that Zauriel took from him back in Phantom Stranger #13 written by the same writer.
    Anyway, they all end up on the same beach and have some talk. They have some link and Pandora/Stranger want to find out more about this while Question goes for his standard "i hate you guys" speech that he always does when he is near them.
    Anyway, Stranger tracks down magic source and I guess last page shows big bad?

Mixed feelings about this issue. On one hand its cool for people who have no knowledge about these character in new52 continuity since I think it recaps Pandora and Stranger well enough even if it feels really awkward and forced (like Pandora just shouting everything about herself when fighting bad guy). On the other hand I feel that while Worlds End #1 recapped bunch of stuff it also gave lots of new details while here we don't get any of that, our trio just fights three rather forgetful bad guys and lose something in the process (Question woman that he lived with, Stranger loses Terrance, Pandora feels bad about bunch of civilians dying).

Thou what I really dislike is Question. In Phantom Stranger I rather liked portrayal of him, he felt unique and otherworldy, here he kinda feels ordinary and Stranger-lite.

As I said in the other thread;

Judged by this issue, I think I'm going to be in this series for the long-haul. It wasn't a perfect issue by any means, but it's certainly piqued my interest, and the assembly of the Trinity appears to be done a lot better than many other superhero teams.

Extraordinary Member

I was not familiar at all with these characters beyond the few early appearances of Pandora. The set-up was pretty good, each character felt distinct and the threats they each faced were interesting. The way the team is forced together should make for an entertaining relationship between the three. My only question is that I am not exactly sure what each character does. What are their abilities, how do they use them to fight?

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    What are their abilities, how do they use them to fight?
    They don't really have defined abilities, all three of them are basically wizards and can do what needs to be done. If I had differentiate between them I'd say that Pandora tends to be more hands-on and uses guns/chains, Question is more about confusion and has used spear of destiny which supposedly should be able to kill anything. Phantom Stranger is harder to define, should be most powerful of them I guess.

Fantastic Member

Just reposting my thoughts from the other thread.

Decided to give this a try since I enjoyed Stranger a bit though didn't think much of Pandora and felt it was entirely unfocused and uncertain as to what to do with the character and I wanted to try this more for the Question and I came away with a very meh feeling about it.

The Trinity of Sin as a concept needed major refocusing after Trinity War did jack all with that. I was hoping to at least get something like that here or a hint as to what that mission statement would be, but what we get is a very by the numbers "the team coming together and finding out why they are being attacked" and thats it. A bit of time is kept to recap Stranger's, Pandora's, and Question's current standings so at least its new reader friendly, but their is no hook here. Because the issue decides to spend the majority of the time with each character individually (which is really more to recap who they are) it leaves only the last few pages for them to be together and it just wasn't very interesting. Question does the same thing he did early on in the Blight crossover and bails on Stranger and Pandora, Stranger oddly seems lone wolf about the situation despite having worked with Pandora in the past and her offering to help, and all of this has a familiar setup feel to a JLD issue or a Phantom Stranger issue that just so happens to have Pandora and Question than Trinity of Sin. Art was very ho-hum which I feel like a book like this should have a stylized look and not something unmemorable.

I still like the characters and will give the first arc a shot because their is potential, but this is a very disappointing way to begin and hope things can pick up.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I've of two minds about the story. Although much of it is a rehash of the kind of stories that DeMatteis has told several times throughout his career, I think there's enough there to still feel interesting, particularly if you weren't as familiar with Marc's work. On the other hand, the art completely clashes with the tone the book is trying to establish. There's nothing wrong with the storytelling, per se, but it looks like any other superhero book, which is a major misstep for a book that's examining the sort of esoteric themes that Trinity of Sin is built off. There's no atmosphere whatsoever, and atmosphere is really what this kind of story needs. I'm going to stick around because I liked PS so much, but I'm not as enthused as I was coming in.

I am a little down on the whole Trinity stuff. I read PS but got tired of the whoa is me character. Pandora was another snoozer in my eyes. Then the whole Trinity stuff was terrible as it didn't really explain anything except to set up Villains. To me, they are dead and something big needs to happen for me to pick them back up.

As I said in the other thread, I was really looking forward to jumping into this series from the beginning because I've been really interested in all of the Trinity of Sin characters but had never gotten to read any of their stories before I picked up the Futures End one-shots (I loved Phantom Stranger, but Pandora was confusing to me since I wasn't quite sure what was happening with everything).

I really enjoyed this first issue. I felt like they were able to establish everything well and they really managed to pack a lot of exposition and information into the first issue without it feeling too wordy or boring. Phantom Stranger's scene with the spirit of the little boy really moved me, and I felt terrible for The Question when he went back and held Abigail's hand. The only character that hasn't really clicked for me yet is Pandora, but I'm sure I'll get there. Phantom is by far my favorite.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender