Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Boy, I'm sure glad that Magneto recruited Jack-O-Lantern. He could really turn this thing around.

BANNED

After feeling that the first issue was ok but not necessarily a real grabber, this was going to be a make or break for me and I ended up really digging it. Kubert's art was a little better this time around (not that it mattered too much with Yu on board next issue) but more importantly both the action and drama felt like they had more room to breathe than they did in the somewhat overstuffed first issue. Remender did a great job of pulling back the layers of Tony's psyche here and Magneto was great (especially when he leaves Tony to be crushed by a Sentinel). As long as things stay this good, I'll be on board till the end.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Ever get the feeling this story is... more artifical than it should be? I mean, Red Onslaught was a barely threat when all the Avengers and X-Men teamed up and then suddenly, to ensure the plot continued, two Sentinels out of nowhere that can magically deal with all of the heroes and not villains! Then when the heroes finally get an upper hand on the Setinels, Nova screws things completely up (like his entire purpose to the plot was just to mess things up). Ugh.

Where's the deus ex machina of character, Captain Universe, hiding at? Probably could fix this problem with a blink of an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Ever get the feeling this story is... more artifical than it should be? I mean, Red Onslaught was a barely threat when all the Avengers and X-Men teamed up and then suddenly, to ensure the plot continued, two Sentinels out of nowhere that can magically deal with all of the heroes and not villains! Then when the heroes finally get an upper hand on the Setinels, Nova screws things completely up (like his entire purpose to the plot was just to mess things up). Ugh.

Where's the deus ex machina of character, Captain Universe, hiding at? Probably could fix this problem with a blink of an eye.
    The thing that bugs me is...how did Red Skull become Onslaught? I feel like we're missing a lot of details.

BANNED

I'll say this, it was MUCH better than the first issue.

Liked this issue a lot. Way better than the first.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    The thing that bugs me is...how did Red Skull become Onslaught? I feel like we're missing a lot of details.
    I think the idea is ....when you as powerful a psychic as Charles when your body dies your mind/psychic energy remains. Especially, if you habor tremendous amount of anger and evil inside of you.

Or something nonsensical and comic bookie idea that writers don't want you to question like that

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I think the idea is ....when you as powerful a psychic as Charles when your body dies your mind/psychic energy remains. Especially, if you habor tremendous amount of anger and evil inside of you.

Or something nonsensical and comic bookie idea that writers don't want you to question like that
    This basically.

I'm fine with it. I'm surprised these super Sentinels don't have defense against magnetism, the #1 leading cause of Sentinel destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I'm more confused why anyone would think Deadpool is a villain, he's not the greatest guy in the world but I wouldn't put him up there with Carnage or Sabertooth.

I did really like Magneto being the only hope to save them though, kind of a nice twist of things.

I also feel really bad for the Avengers in this event, they just keep making everything worse, fist with Iron Man having built Sentinels and now Nova having possibly screwed up the chance to bring back Professor X. It's just not looking good for them compared to the X-men.
    You can argue Magneto made things worse by causing Onslaught to be created in the first place so I think it all balances out in the end. The heroes need to drop the ball at first for the bad guys to get the upper hand but they'll pick it up again by the end of the story.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    You can argue Magneto made things worse by causing Onslaught to be created in the first place so I think it all balances out in the end. The heroes need to drop the ball at first for the bad guys to get the upper hand but they'll pick it up again by the end of the story.
    It's just classic narrative structure. Heroes screw things up. Villain(s) take advantage. Then the roaring climax where the good guys buck the odds and win the day.

Good issue. I liked this a lot more than #1, and I loved #1. Iron Man...will they stop dragging him through the mud? Thought it was cool how Captain America got his head back in the game. Magneto was awesome, as usual--especially his leaving to get help. Havok's monologue was well done. Overall, a great big fight.
    Storm Wolverine Nightcrawler Colossus Shadowcat Rogue Phoenix Magneto
    Mirage Cannonball Karma Sunspot Wolfsbane Magik Magma Cypher Warlock
    Jubilee Synch M Chamber Skin Husk

All-New Member

I am a bit wary of the villain roster in a big event such as this. I am not sure why Mystique and Jack O'Lantern are even there and it would have been better if they used Green Goblin instead of Hobgoblin but the rest are good.

...how did Magneto get Carnage to join him?
    ...NO SERIOUSLY! Did he go "Hey Carnage! Come save the world!"
    Carnage: "Okay!"
    They KINDA explain it in Magneto, but it's still pretty hand-wavey, basically just that Magneto plays on his desire for chaos and he convinces him that there is nothing more chaotic than him playing hero for a while. I think they just knew they wanted to invert him, and obviously everyone has to be at that spot, possibly even captured by the sentinels, for that to happen, so.... Kind of a stretch for hm to be there though, I agree. I can see all the others joining for their own reasons, they may be villains but even they have limits, you know? but Carnage is just a murderous psychopath.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I'm more confused why anyone would think Deadpool is a villain, he's not the greatest guy in the world but I wouldn't put him up there with Carnage or Sabertooth.
    Again, kinda explained in Magneto. Deadpool was basically just curious what Magneto was up to and following him around, and Magneto was just like 'you can come if you want...' Also, a few others are not exactly villains right now, but they aren't exactly HEROES, either, and I think that's the important part.

Quote Originally Posted by JVictor View Post
    Sue Storm is Iron Fist y'all.

Sounds like Wanda will be responsible for the inversion. Marvel just loves to fck her up.
    Heh, I know, when i saw that page i was like '... is Iron Fist a girl now...?' realized later someone had SOMEHOW labeled Sue as Iron fist... I can't really fathom how that happened, though. Iron Fist wasn't even in the issue.

And yeah, sounds like the spell that Wanda and Strange were going to cast will backfire spectacularly. But it sounds like it will be localized, possibly even restricted to those caught inside the Sentinels... holding beam thingy. So we basically know exactly who is getting inverted, now. Anyone who is on Genosha is inverted, sounds like everyone else will escape the inversion.

Anyway. I was not a big fan of the first issue, but this one was better, I thought, a few quibbles aside.

Extraordinary Member

...how did Magneto get Carnage to join him?
    ...NO SERIOUSLY! Did he go "Hey Carnage! Come save the world!"
    Carnage: "Okay!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    The gaps are filled in via Magneto's issue. Shows the recruitment.
    Okay, I'm gonna pick up Magneto today, but I'm REALLY curious what hiring Carnage entails.
    Never mind Carnage, does it explain why Magneto is postponing getting payback for what Sabertooth and Mystique did to Dazzler?