Default Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) on the Justice Society

A friend of mine told me that Barbara Gordon once teamed up with the Justice Society during her Batgirl days and even briefly became a member.

Does anyone know which title and issues that happened in?

There are some obscure Babs Batgirl stuff which I am trying to learn more about. (For example: last year, much to my delight, I found out on this very site that Babs went on a blind date with Clark Kent in Superman #268 and #279).

IIRC she talks about the JSA and looks up Black Canary in Batgirl: Year One. She may even bust into JSA headquarters in that, again IIRC. It's a good read if you can find it.

JLA vs Queen Bee is what I remember reading in some TPB.
    JLA_060.jpg

Incredible Member

Never say never, but I'm a pretty big JSA fan and I don't recall Barbara Gordon ever joining the team or even teaming up with them. As Scott pointed out above, Chuck Dixon had Barbara break into the JSA's brownstone in Gotham during Batgirl: Year One, being warned off by Wildcat (Doctor Fate cameo'd) and teaming up with Black Canary. But she didn't team up with the whole JSA.

The only other thing I can think of is a story back in Batman Family in the '70s, when the Huntress (a member of the JSA, who all lived on Earth-2 back then) came to Earth-1 on a visit and teamed up with Earth-1 Batwoman (Kathy Kane) and the second Earth-1 Batgirl (Barbara Gordon). They fought Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and... Madame Zodiac? Someone like that. It was weird for Huntress since her mother was a reformed Catwoman, while the Earth-1 Catwoman was still a villain. But Barbara didn't go to Earth-2 or join the team or anything.

EDIT: wait, remembered one more thing. The Freedom Fighters (a team of Golden Age characters, formerly of Quality Comics until the company folded and DC bought the characters) had their own short-lived title set on Earth-1. For one storyline they teamed up with Kathy Kane and Barbara Gordon, set around the same time as that last story I mentioned. The Freedom Fighters aren't the JSA, but they are Golden Age characters (who a decade later would be retconned into being members of the All-Star Squadron, alongside members of the JSA).
    Last edited by The Lucky One; 05-09-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robert View Post
    JLA vs Queen Bee is what I remember reading in some TPB.
    JLA_060.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Never say never, but I'm a pretty big JSA fan and I don't recall Barbara Gordon ever joining the team or even teaming up with them. As Scott pointed out above, Chuck Dixon had Barbara break into the JSA's brownstone in Gotham during Batgirl: Year One, being warned off by Wildcat (Doctor Fate cameo'd) and teaming up with Black Canary. But she didn't team up with the whole JSA.

The only other thing I can think of is a story back in Batman Family in the '70s, when the Huntress (a member of the JSA, who all lived on Earth-2 back then) came to Earth-1 on a visit and teamed up with Earth-1 Batwoman (Kathy Kane) and the second Earth-1 Batgirl (Barbara Gordon). They fought Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and... Madame Zodiac? Someone like that. It was weird for Huntress since her mother was a reformed Catwoman, while the Earth-1 Catwoman was still a villain. But Barbara didn't go to Earth-2 or join the team or anything.

EDIT: wait, remembered one more thing. The Freedom Fighters (a team of Golden Age characters, formerly of Quality Comics until the company folded and DC bought the characters) had their own short-lived title set on Earth-1. For one storyline they teamed up with Kathy Kane and Barbara Gordon, set around the same time as that last story I mentioned. The Freedom Fighters aren't the JSA, but they are Golden Age characters (who a decade later would be retconned into being members of the All-Star Squadron, alongside members of the JSA).

Thanks guys.

Do you know where I can track down those appearances?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    A friend of mine told me that Barbara Gordon once teamed up with the Justice Society during her Batgirl days and even briefly became a member.

Does anyone know which title and issues that happened in
    I don't think that happened at all. Your friend might be thinking of the Batgirl from "Zero Hour". She was Barbara Gordon from an alternate timeline who was never shot by Joker. She sacrified her life to save Damage from Parallax and was given posthumus membership to JLA. Later, the regular version of Barbara became a JLA member but as Oracle.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrightnow View Post
    I don't think that happened at all. Your friend might be thinking of the Batgirl from "Zero Hour". She was Barbara Gordon from an alternate timeline who was never shot by Joker. She sacrified her life to save Damage from Parallax and was given posthumus membership to JLA. Later, the regular version of Barbara became a JLA member but as Oracle.
    Yeah, I am starting to think that too but it's nice to find these obscure Batgirl stories from way back.

Pharah x Mercy
    There is a land called passive-agressiva, and I am their queen.

Moved post.
    Last edited by beetlebum; 05-15-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Mistake
    Psychologically, the guns you use will define you ~ Pharoahe Monch

I like ladies who wear purple | Kate Bishop | Helena Bertinelli

Wonder Woman is The Love of My Life | Forza Azzurri

Pharah x Mercy

Does anyone know which title and issues that happened in?

There are some obscure Babs Batgirl stuff which I am trying to learn more about. (For example: last year, much to my delight, I found out on this very site that Babs went on a blind date with Clark Kent in Superman #268 and #279).

Are you referring to this?

It's an Elseworld's story.

Aside from this, the only other thing I could find about Barbara and the JSA is where she investigated them while working with the FBI.

Quote Originally Posted by beetlebum View Post
    Are you referring to this?

It's an Elseworld's story.

Aside from this, the only other thing I could find about Barbara and the JSA is where she investigated them while working with the FBI.
    A friend of mine told me about the story so my criteria is basically:

1) Babs team up in the JSA.

2) Babs becomes an honorary member of the JSA.

3) It happened in what was the main continuity at the time.

It's not a story I have previously read, it's a story I want to read. Though I am starting to think he may have gotten mixed up.

The second link you posted is actually referring to Batgirl: Year One where Babs tried to apply to the FBI and later broke into the old JSA headquarters which lead to her getting a dressing down from Wildcat and later teaming up with Black Canary.

Pharah x Mercy

Are you sure they didn't confuse the JSA with the JLA?

Because I'm not finding much connecting her with the JSA. Just the JLA.

I did also find a few Wiki links on her tenure with the JLA.

In JLA, A Midsummer's Nightmare, Barbara was active as Batgirl. Specifically, she makes an appearance in JLA #16.

Also, she was made an honorary member in Zero Hour #0. And she was also active as Batgirl there. Just running this by you to make sure.

Incredible Member

A friend of mine told me about the story so my criteria is basically:

1) Babs team up in the JSA.

2) Babs becomes an honorary member of the JSA.

3) It happened in what was the main continuity at the time.
    I'm 99.99% positive that never happened.

There was a storyline in Justice Society of America where Stephanie Brown was a member of a future JSA fighting to overthrow the Fourth Reich, but that was an alternate future. Plus she wasn't in costume (well, no one was), and it was published a few years before she ever became Batgirl.

As for the issue where Huntress teams up with Batwoman and Barbara, it was Batman Family #17. The story where Batwoman and Barbara team up with the Freedom Fighters is Freedom Fighters #14-15. Be warned, it's... not a very good story.

Quote Originally Posted by beetlebum View Post
    Are you sure they didn't confuse the JSA with the JLA?

Because I'm not finding much connecting her with the JSA. Just the JLA.
    I pointed that out to him when he first brought it up but he said it was the JSA.

I pointed that out to him when he first brought it up but he said it was the JSA.
    He knows the difference between the Justice League of America and the Justice Society of America?