Page 820 of 885 FirstFirst ... 320720770810816817818819820821822823824830870 ... LastLast
Results 12,286 to 12,300 of 13267
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Given that we've seen villains like Brainiac and Zod in the GL books lately, I don't mind Sinestro being in the LoD without Hal being in the JL. Sinestro was in Forever Evil when Hal wasn't part of the story at all, plus he hasn't been a Hal-exclusive villain for quite a while, he went against Superman recently too. I don't like that Hal isn't part of the new JL titles but Sinestro being there doesn't really bother me, his appearance in No Justice kind of gave it away anyway.
    There are differences between the villain just drops in on another hero and being the counterpart of a hero from a team.
    And Forever Evil is a villain-centered story. Heroes are irrelevant. These three cases are not the same.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 05-12-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Well, to DC Hal is clearly interchangeable, so there's that.

Incredible Member

Well, to DC Hal is clearly interchangeable, so there's that.
    To me he isn't.
    I'm starting to consider dropping DC now.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 05-12-2018 at 02:59 AM.

He isn't to me either, but he's been replaced or ignored plenty of times before and he kind of has a history of always coming back on top. What can we do about this new direction other than hope the new writer after Venditti is good.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    To me he isn't.
    I'm starting to consider dropping DC now.
    well, i'm disappointed with dc and wb, but not to the point of dropping.... yet.

went to the store the other day to look for toys.

it's a given the shelves will be filled with avengers, but voltron has more toys than green lantern or dc even.

I don't like it nor do I think it will work but I'll allow them to tell their story. I think when it comes on to the Legion of Doom as oppose to the Injustice League the countering villains must be someone that has a personal vendetta against the Justice League member, Lex, Joker, Cheetah and in the case of John's opposition Fatality would have been his fit, not Sinestro.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

I thought John and Sinestro's interaction in Godhead was interesting so I'm at least tentatively looking forward to seeing what kind of dynamic they develop, so long as writers remember that Sinestro is definitively Hal's nemesis.

BANNED

They should create an archenemy for John instead of stealing from Hal (as they always have).
    The last time they did serious character development for John was with Green Lantern Mosaic.... which was excellent until they cancelled it.

Hal Jordan was Gil Kane's master piece and reflects Kane's sensibilities. They have stretched that character and distorted him so much, at times
    it is hard to recognize him, as it is. What are you gonna do. The Comic's business is no longer the tight collaboration of a collection of closely
    connected artists and writers. It is no longer a coffee shop affair and these large media companies have no collective memory of sensitivity.

Extraordinary Member

They should create an archenemy for John instead of stealing from Hal (as they always have). This is lower than ET in which they as least knew to kill off Sinestro while dumping Hal.
    I'm pissed, disgusted, furious, indignant... I'd better calm down a little.

This argument can be easily refuted by a fact that Katma was a close friend of Hal before becoming John's love interest and she actually talked about Korugar's culture to Hal more than to John. (e.g. She told Hal music doesn't exist on Korugar.)
    Besides, Sinestro despises everyone except Hal. He sees John, Guy, Kyle as trash. The idea that in any circumstance he would see John as equal or a friend is really... insulting.
    I'm not even sure why you bother to read, let alone respond, to my posts.

Did I not post that Sinestro would look down on John outwardly?

Sinestro will always be Hal's archenemy, not John's. The only other human GL with a personal ax to grind with Sinestro outside of Hal is Kyle.

I'm still baffled Kyle has yet to seek any sort of retribution for Sinestro being responsible for the death of his mother. I blame that more on the writing, than the characters.

All I did was post that enough back story exist for John & Sinestro to interact that takes nothing away from Hal, and it will never be on the level of Hal/Sinestro.

It's just something different.

Philosophically, John & Sinestro will but heads. Any war between them will be in intellectual one.

John & Kat have experiences with being oppressed in their respective societies. This is probably one of the things that brought them together. Although with the sliding timeline, John's experiences with racism in America should be different than when he was originally conceived by Denny & Neal. With Kat, Sinestro was the face of oppression, so John would always see Sinestro as an enemy.

Being married to a woman from Korugar gives the writers something else to work with besides a fist fight.

Any flesh and blood person would like to interact with someone who is familiar with their culture, that's normal. It would be normal for Sinestro to contemplate this.

The history between Hal & Kat was not always a rosy one.

As John would be familiar with traditions of Korugar, it would make sense for Kat to be familiar with Earth customs. It would make sense for Kat to be familiar with African American culture. Funny enough, Kat might have been more familiar with African American culture than Hal & Guy.

I understand that you disagree.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought John and Sinestro's interaction in Godhead was interesting so I'm at least tentatively looking forward to seeing what kind of dynamic they develop, so long as writers remember that Sinestro is definitively Hal's nemesis.
    I'm with you. This is only a two year saga. DC is only doing something different. This is not even happening in the main GL book, so this is only a side ramp to the overall highway of GL continuity.

I'm surprised no one heavily considered at least exploring a John/Sinestro dynamic. I see it as an interesting footnote.

I'll only worry if some continuity event happens to erase the Hal/Sinestro history. That would be unforgivable.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 05-12-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Extraordinary Member

He isn't to me either, but he's been replaced or ignored plenty of times before and he kind of has a history of always coming back on top. What can we do about this new direction other than hope the new writer after Venditti is good.
    That's right, Johnny.

Hal will be just fine, especially if the next writer places more focus on expanding his character to go along with great science fiction.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I'm not even sure why you bother to read, let alone respond, to my posts.

Did I not post that Sinestro would look down on John outwardly?

Sinestro will always be Hal's archenemy, not John's. The only other human GL with a personal ax to grind with Sinestro outside of Hal is Kyle.

I'm still baffled Kyle has yet to seek any sort of retribution for Sinestro being responsible for the death of his mother. I blame that more on the writing, than the characters.

All I did was post that enough back story exist for John & Sinestro to interact that takes nothing away from Hal, and it will never be on the level of Hal/Sinestro.

It's just something different.

Philosophically, John & Sinestro will but heads. Any war between them will be in intellectual one.

John & Kat have experiences with being oppressed in their respective societies. This is probably one of the things that brought them together. Although with the sliding timeline, John's experiences with racism in America should be different than when he was originally conceived by Denny & Neal. With Kat, Sinestro was the face of oppression, so John would always see Sinestro as an enemy.

Being married to a woman from Korugar gives the writers something else to work with besides a fist fight.

Any flesh and blood person would like to interact with someone who is familiar with their culture, that's normal. It would be normal for Sinestro to contemplate this.

The history between Hal & Kat was not always a rosy one.

As John would be familiar with traditions of Korugar, it would make sense for Kat to be familiar with Earth customs. It would make sense for Kat to be familiar with African American culture. Funny enough, Kat might have been more familiar with African American culture than Hal & Guy.

I understand that you disagree.
    Sinestro despises John so why would he chat with John about his home planet that was exploded?
    Their interaction in Godhead was different. John was not the Lantern of Justice League and Sinestro was not in Legion of Doom (which is dumb if you ask me. Sinestro is above this.). What do you think their purpose this time? The villain serves the hero. They want to use Sinestro as a stepping stone to promote John because he is a cool villain and John doesn’t have one. In a word that’s lowering Hal’s archenemy to elevate another Lantern. That is what unbearable to me.

Sinestro despises John so why would he chat with John about his home planet that was exploded?
    Their interaction in Godhead was different. John was not the Lantern of Justice League and Sinestro was not in Legion of Doom (which is dumb if you ask me. Sinestro is above this.). What do you think their purpose this time? The villain serves the hero. They want to use Sinestro as a stepping stone to promote John because he is a cool villain and John doesn’t have one. In a word that’s lowering Hal’s archenemy to elevate another Lantern. That is what unbearable to me.
    That's probably true for every member. I can't see why any of them would willingly work alongside one another, so that's probably going to be deal with in-story.

I don't think the League and the Legion are going to be going exactly head-to-head, since it sounds like the Legion has got their own business going on alongside whatever the League is doing. I don't think Sinestro's inclusion is just to promote John, but more because he is Sinestro.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's probably true for every member. I can't see why any of them would willingly work alongside one another, so that's probably going to be deal with in-story.

I don't think the League and the Legion are going to be going exactly head-to-head, since it sounds like the Legion has got their own business going on alongside whatever the League is doing. I don't think Sinestro's inclusion is just to promote John, but more because he is Sinestro.
    I hope you are right but Snyder has said the story will explore the invisible spectrum and it seems John will experience the same thing Sinestro did. I guess the comparison and setoff will be inevitable.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 05-12-2018 at 07:52 PM.