Page 774 of 885 FirstFirst ... 274674724764770771772773774775776777778784824874 ... LastLast
Results 11,596 to 11,610 of 13267
    Incredible Member

Johns created Simon Baz. I don’t think that’s what a conservative would nomarly do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Van Sciver's one big screw-up was from more than a year ago when he got into a heated political argument with someone who cussed at him and Van Sciver told him to kill himself. That's what got Nelson's attention. After that he apologized, donated to a suicide prevention charity and went dark on social media for months. Recently he publicly invited some indy creator who had previously accused him of being a white supremacist to appear on his podcast. The latter responded by accusing him of wanting to publicly sabotage him and and then falsely accused him of organizing harassment campaigns against him. None of that was true. Van Sciver's politics have made him controversial since the comic industry is predominantly left-leaning but he's not what some people consider him to be. If he loses his contract because DC kowtows to the mob without doing the proper research, shame on them.

I've been looking this all over, and it is indeed a nasty bit of business and deeply disturbing. This younger generation is completely losing its ability to have a rational conversation, and to struggle productively with controversy and disagreement. In the late 1990's we largely had come to learn the hard way, as a society, that when you allow a few of the nosiest wheels use force the public agenda in politics and in the private/public space, the result is very bad. The vast majority's needs become ignored. Everything becomes politicized and paralysis sets in. Every routine matter comes under scrutiny and tolerance on all sides slides to zero, increasing all forms of violence. There were hard lessons to learn. It took over 30 years of dysfunction at the cost of god knows how many deaths and murders and general mayhem, before the center was able to right itself. What a circus this all is. People wonder how we got a President who spends his entire night twittering troll bait.... just __look__ all around you. It is a very beak future. It is hard to see any positive outcomes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm not equating Van Sciver's lapses into douchebaggery with Berganza's misconduct.
    I don't think Van Sciver lapsed into douchebaggery. He simply forgot that twitter is not the school playground. Telling someone who is baggering you to go f-off and die is fairly par for the course in rancerous arguing when two people who don't like each other are forced together, or when someone is feeling defensive and harrassed. Twitter is a pretty nasty thing. I wouldn't partake.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Johns created Simon Baz. I don’t think that’s what a conservative would nomarly do.
    FYI, politically conservative =/= anti-Muslim.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Being a conservative doesn't automatically make you a racist or anti-Muslin. Nor does it make you a Trump supporter. Just because Johns has worked hard to make the DCU to be more diverse does not necessarily make him liberal. It makes him a decent human being who understands the value of having a variety of characters with different backgrounds, races, and sexual orientations.

James Robinson was the one who I first heard talk about Johns conservatism when he compared himself and Johns to Ollie & Hal in terms of their political leanings and debates.

Granted, this was back in 2010, when being a conservative meant a healthy respect for law enforcement and being suspicious of Russian aggression.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    FYI, politically conservative =/= anti-Muslim.
    It doesn't do the opposite either. It is possible, or even likely, in the face of historical violence against the West that conservative and liberals will have leanings against the Muslim Faith.

I guess my point here is that I'm opposed to grand statements about politics and political dogma, especially when it is not substantiated with substance and especially in a forum that is not dedicated to that topic. Aside from that, Johns might be anti-muslim and decided to create this character anyway for a number of valid reasons.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    . Aside from that, Johns might be anti-muslim and decided to create this character anyway for a number of valid reasons.
    Johns created Baz because he is half Lebanese so he has a Arabic middle name, which has caused him constant headaches with the TSA

Mighty Member

So who do you guys hope takes over Hal n Pals?

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    So who do you guys hope takes over Hal n Pals?
    Me!!! Come on DC. I gots ideas! Gimme a pencil.

But seriously, I really couldn't say. Part of me wants a new untapped talent to take a crack at it. But at the same time, I do want it to be good.... Maybe Williamson if he had the time after doing Flash. He didn't do too bad of a job when Hal was a guest star for those few issues.

I heard Tomasi mentioned here too.
    Save Ferris...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post

But seriously, I really couldn't say. Part of me wants a new untapped talent to take a crack at it. But at the same time, I do want it to be good.... Maybe Williamson if he had the time after doing Flash. He didn't do too bad of a job when Hal was a guest star for those few issues.

Yeah, same. Somebody new could potentially do something cool, but somebody like Williamson would be more safe. Then again safe can be pretty boring. I kind of want to see somebody treat GL as more hard sci-fi instead of superheroes in space.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post

Tomasi and Jurgens both need new projects to compensate for Bendis forcing them off the Superman books. That'll be why Tomasi was mentioned. He was also speculated for Detective Comics, for the same reason, and for Teen Titans, because it would directly follow Super Sons. I've not heard any rumours about where Jurgens, or Supergirl writer Orlando, will end up. Will be interesting to see where these guys get reassigned.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

This is a golden opportunity to move the entire Green Lantern series forward. With that in mind, I hope that Tomasi and, particularly, Jurgens are passed on it. I can't see them doing anything meaningful with the property.

Orlando maybe.

The series is in the doldrums at the moment. It's gonna take someone well regarded to push it forward. Who? Dunno really.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd be fine with Williamson taking over. He did alright by Hal in his brief guest appearance in Flash.

King would be great too, he also wrote one of the best recent Hal Jordan stories.

Spectacular Member AimToTheStar's Avatar

Whoever comes to Hal's N Pals i welcome him/her(if we get female writers) and all i can see is a new dawn.

IooaqSu.jpg
    ''There were other women, of course. But none of them mattered. Not like her. She was the one.'' -Hal Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Tomasi and Jurgens both need new projects to compensate for Bendis forcing them off the Superman books. That'll be why Tomasi was mentioned. He was also speculated for Detective Comics, for the same reason, and for Teen Titans, because it would directly follow Super Sons. I've not heard any rumours about where Jurgens, or Supergirl writer Orlando, will end up. Will be interesting to see where these guys get reassigned.
    Tomasi is the one name that seems almost too obvious. He's had the experience plus he's got nothing else going on that we know of. Maybe he'll be brought in as a stopgap while DC figures it out, kinda like Priest on JL.
    Save Ferris...