Page 778 of 885 FirstFirst ... 278678728768774775776777778779780781782788828878 ... LastLast
Results 11,656 to 11,670 of 13267

Quote Originally Posted by AimToTheStar View Post
    I do agree with you there is no hope for Hal after Green Lantern 2011 movie but that was past, let's move on.
    I've moved on from that movie, DC and WB haven't. They turned the character into a joke and then gave him the boot. Now in the supposed reboot, apparently they could turn him into some old, over the hill veteran, who may or may not turn out to be a glorified supporting character, in order to get rid of him as soon as possible. Cause frankly, you don't look to make a character middle-aged to keep him around in a lead role for years to come.

Spectacular Member AimToTheStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    you don't look to make a character middle-aged to keep him around in a lead role for years to come.
    This is exactly what i fear.
    ''There were other women, of course. But none of them mattered. Not like her. She was the one.'' -Hal Jordan.

But i still hope this Big Creator like what Snyder mentioned is someone like Geoff Johns after Emerald Twilight.
    ''There were other women, of course. But none of them mattered. Not like her. She was the one.'' -Hal Jordan.

This is exactly what i fear.
    Well, we can't always have our cake and eat it too, so whatever happens, happens. I'm just trying to be a little more realistic about the state this character currently find himself in, rather than needlessly give myself false hopes about his future inside or outside of comics.

But i still hope this Big Creator like what Snyder mentioned is someone like Geoff Johns after Emerald Twilight.
    Frankly I'm not terribly interested in who this "big creator" could turn out to be. I would be more pleasantly surprised if it turned out to be a lesser known name that I have little to no idea what to expect from.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-18-2018 at 03:42 PM.

I'll be happy if it's a creator I like and think will do a good job on GL, be they big-name or not .

Little late for this Hal's N Pals made top 10

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03...rvel-steps-up/

Well dang, I’m going to miss Robert Venditti on our book. I really have enjoyed his stories as they have been action packed fun.

Spectacular Member baycitybomber's Avatar

Cause frankly, you don't look to make a character middle-aged to keep him around in a lead role for years to come.
    This is the mother of all unpopular opinions but I could see the potential in him sticking around for a few movies as a likeable, trustworthy mentor figure/team member... if it culminated in a Parallax movie where he's portrayed as a symphatetic villain who goes too far and is eventually redeemed. Not that it's ever going to happen but the Fallen Hero archetype is something that superhero movies haven't done before, so if they approached it with respect, it could be really memorable.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baycitybomber View Post
    This is the mother of all unpopular opinions but I could see the potential in him sticking around for a few movies as a likeable, trustworthy mentor figure/team member... if it culminated in a Parallax movie where he's portrayed as a symphatetic villain who goes too far and is eventually redeemed. Not that it's ever going to happen but the Fallen Hero archetype is something that superhero movies haven't done before, so if they approached it with respect, it could be really memorable.
    I also don't have a problem with Hal being portrayed as an older veteran, because that's how he was portrayed in the early 1990s when both he and Ollie were both established to be in their early to mid-forties. Of course, that was later used against him as an excuse to do away with him by DC editorial, who similarly dumped the older JSA because they believed that DC shouldn't have comics featuring icky heroes who weren't young.

Hal should be more than some old guy whose main purpose is to prop the young guys. Companies shouldn't make their most prominent heroes older veterans imo. Batman could get away with it because Batman can get away with anything, but not Hal who is for all intents and purposes seen as just as irrelevant by DC today, as he was 25 years ago. Maybe not to that same extent, but close. History could very well repeat itself. Make him old then get rid of him. If that's the case, then don't have him in the movie at all.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-19-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Astonishing Member

To me the only way that the movies would influence the source material is if the movie is a rousing success and DC/WB has only had one of those in multiple films. I don't want Hal, Hank Pym'ed but for that to happen DC would have to make a successful GL movie and I am not sure they are capable of that yet. So I am only mildly concerned.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Companies shouldn't make their most prominent heroes older veterans imo. Batman could get away with it because Batman can get away with anything, but not Hal who is for all intents and purposes seen as just as irrelevant by DC today, as he was 25 years ago. Maybe not to that same extent, but close. History could very well repeat itself. Make him old then get rid of him.
    Time to recharge that Blue Lantern, Johnny!

You can't operate from a position of fear, and assuming the worst. Hal Jordan has survived far, far worse than this. Just you wait. He'll get his time in the spotlight once again. His age doesn't matter. He's a good character and good characters always get their due sooner or later. It may take a few more years for him to get the same buzz he had back in Geoff Johns's heyday, but it'll happen again. In the meantime, enjoy what's out there, which is pretty damn good compared to what some other characters have gotten.

Hal is appearing twice a month in a generally fun comic about how awesome he is, and he's apparently got a great new creative team on deck.

He just got some wonderful treatment in a few great episodes of Justice League Action and DC Superhero Girls.

He is about to get a brand-new take on his origin with Green Lantern: Earth One, which is getting plenty of great reviews.

And he's about to appear in the last issue of Metal, in which he kicked all five asses of Dude Bro Starro in such spectacular fashion they wisely did it off-panel because it is best left to our imaginations

I don't know about you, but all that sounds pretty damn great. Sometimes it's hard to keep things in perspective, but I've been a Hal Jordan fan for decades now and I've lived through waaaaaay worse than this. I'll take what we've been getting now over the late 1990s and early 2000s any day of the week.

See that smile? That's a hero who doesn't let fear get the best of him. And that's why you and I love him.

Extraordinary Member

I thought is was foolish to cast Ben as Batman to be part of an extended universe. Batman always has to be in his physical prime, imo. Ben just looks old.

With Hal, it all depends on who they cast.

If they pick an Ashton Kutcher looking guy, with acting skills, not many will complain. I did not realize Kutcher is 40.

I am hoping WB has this in mind.

Astonishing Member

I agree with Bored, in fact movie aside Hal was DC's biggest star besides Bruce prior to Nu52. Bruce and Hal were spotlighted in the first issue of the Johns Jim Lee Justice League book. Yes Hal had a fumble, the movie, but besides evergreen Bruce, Hal Jordan and the Sinestro Corps War was the only outside the box beyond all expectations rousing success that DC has had besides the Wonder Woman movie. That has to count for something even with the suits. You don't get rid of that for something that might possibly work.

Cause frankly, you don't look to make a character middle-aged to keep him around in a lead role for years to come.
    Danny Glover said, "I'm too old for this ****." in the first "Lethal Weapon" and how many movies did they make? He stayed the lead with Mel throughout.

Harrison Ford is getting ready for another Indiana Jones movie and he's the main lead..