Page 501 of 885 FirstFirst ... 401451491497498499500501502503504505511551601 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 13267
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    Oh this. I agree with everything. I have never been Geoff Johns' biggest fan. I am fond of his GL run for many reasons, but Hal's characterization is definitely not one of them. And it's strange, because Green Lantern Rebirth in 2004 was spot on in term of his characterization. Hal was capable, heroic, determined and didn't let his guilt hold him down. He knew people were skeptical of him because of Parallax, but Hal knew what he was and what was his, and literally gave zero crap to the people standing in his way due to lack of trust. He did what he had to in order to get things done even if that meant literally knocking Batman off his high horse. Till this day that issue remains as one of my all time favorite.
    I think Hal is a pretty hard character to write, despite popular belief (Oh how many times have I seen people spew nonsense like Hal Jordan is just a pretty white boy). Too much in any direction would destroy his character and make him unlikable. Hal is self-aware, confident but not arrogant, fearless but not reckless, defiant but not hardheaded, free-spirited but not irresponsible. Not many have been able to write him well. GL:TAS, I say, offered an excellent portrayal of balance between every aspect that makes up Hal Jordan.
    Hal seemed to go down-hill, characterize, after his resurrection. Hal should be mostly heroic, with hints of roguishness & swashbuckling. The Hal from the animated series exemplified that, imo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of it either. One thing I didn't care for in Johns' GL is that he basically places all the blame for their relationship troubles on Hal and absolves Carol of it, but I've read plenty of older comics and that's not remotely the case.

And this isn't solely Johns' fault and it varies a lot writer to writer but Hal does come off as a bit of a doormat towards his friends (or at least close associates) a lot. Ollie's a huge ******* to him a lot and sometimes Hal gives him **** back but not often, there's the aforementioned Carol stuff, I know there's stuff I'm forgetting but it makes him come off as somebody who's confident in his piloting skills and GL abilities but lacks self esteem even though he's supposed to be confident.
    This is why Hawkman is needed to knock Ollie down a peg, or two.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    from recent events, i would like it the other way around. this time, have carol asking for a second chance...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    This is why Hawkman is needed to knock Ollie down a peg, or two.
    has there been any time where hal worked closely with hawkman? has anybody played yet on the idea that both are space cops? it has possibilities..

Hal seemed to go down-hill, characterize, after his resurrection. Hal should be mostly heroic, with hints of roguishness & swashbuckling. The Hal from the animated series exemplified that, imo.
    green lantern animated series was the best portrayal of hal in my opinion. even more so than geoff, i think.

I think Hal is a pretty hard character to write, despite popular belief (Oh how many times have I seen people spew nonsense like Hal Jordan is just a pretty white boy). Too much in any direction would destroy his character and make him unlikable. Hal is self-aware, confident but not arrogant, fearless but not reckless, defiant but not hardheaded, free-spirited but not irresponsible. Not many have been able to write him well. GL:TAS, I say, offered an excellent portrayal of balance between every aspect that makes up Hal Jordan.
    Ding, ding! Another point goes to Margaret for her well-written analysis of Hal!

Oh this. I agree with everything. I have never been Geoff Johns' biggest fan. I am fond of his GL run for many reasons, but Hal's characterization is definitely not one of them. And it's strange, because Green Lantern Rebirth in 2004 was spot on in term of his characterization. Hal was capable, heroic, determined and didn't let his guilt hold him down. He knew people were skeptical of him because of Parallax, but Hal knew what he was and what was his, and literally gave zero crap to the people standing in his way due to lack of trust. He did what he had to in order to get things done even if that meant literally knocking Batman off his high horse. Till this day that issue remains as one of my all time favorite.
    if i had the means and opportunity, i would send your posts directly to dc main office and have them take notes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    has there been any time where hal worked closely with hawkman? has anybody played yet on the idea that both are space cops? it has possibilities..
    That relationship dynamic is unexplored territory, ASAIK. I would love to see them work together. I would think they get along quite well. I would laugh if Ollie got jealous.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Ding, ding! Another point goes to Margaret for her well-written analysis of Hal!
    She don't mess around.

That relationship dynamic is unexplored territory, ASAIK. I would love to see them work together. I would think they get along quite well. I would laugh if Ollie got jealous.
    anything to put oliver in his place...

that's surprising that nobody has tried to explore that. i half expected someone already wrote about it during the satellite era of the justice league.

Extraordinary Member

green lantern animated series was the best portrayal of hal in my opinion. even more so than geoff, i think.
    Geoff made the concept work, but he did very little to expand the characters not named Sinestro. In fact, he went backwards on many of the characters, imo.

Geoff made the concept work, but he did very little to expand the characters not named Sinestro. In fact, he went backwards on many of the characters, imo.
    i can't deny. geoff did made sinestro and black adam major players in the dcu. and i'll be forever grateful for his drive to rebirth green lantern and the rest of the dcu.

to bad hal's earth bound supporting cast and rogues got eclipsed by the emotional spectrum.

Extraordinary Member

anything to put oliver in his place...

that's surprising that nobody has tried to explore that. i half expected someone already wrote about it during the satellite era of the justice league.
    It is funny that Ollie was SJW long before the internet.

Hal was dealing with SJW fall out long before the internet.

It is funny that Ollie was SJW long before the internet.

Hal was dealing with SJW fall out long before the internet.
    i just thought that i should add patience to hal's virtues.

Extraordinary Member

A lot of interesting aspects & history about Hal is underutilized in favor of some high school jock persona which was never him at all.