Page 504 of 885 FirstFirst ... 4404454494500501502503504505506507508514554604 ... LastLast
Results 7,546 to 7,560 of 13267

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    Him rushing to the front line to hold off enemy's fire is indeed in character, since Hal is pretty much the big gun in the GLC. However, I was referring to the careless stunt of leaving the gauntlet in that planet unattended.
    I feel like between forging his own ring and what that did to him, and then dealing with every ensuing threat the Corps. has faced (plus, y'know, kind of dying) I can understand why it slipped his mind...

Yeah...this book is too crowded to be able to focus on anyone. I'm admittedly being harsh on him because as far as DC writers go he doesn't do too badly. Then again, he's had the whole New 52 run to learn from, and so far the growth has been quite minimal. He writes John and Guy quite well, but as for Hal and Kyle, I feel that he doesn't truly get them.
    I think he has a good handle on all the Earth GL's, and his Hal is the best it's ever been. You may think that's not saying much, but I think his portrayal has been pretty strong here.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Well, we are talking about the guy who used to leave his power battery in his work locker... He has a rich history of being careless with his ring and/or battery and getting them stolen out from under him.
    i always cringe whenever batman steals a power ring from any green lantern while said lantern was still wearing it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I see what you mean.

I guess Hal, John, & Guy are more or less in the same age bracket. Hal & John were both in the Armed Forces at the same time. Kyle, I suppose, is in the same age range as Dick Grayson & Wally West.

I'd be open to a GLC secret origins story.
    i'm thinking the same thing.

actually, i still think that clark, bruce, diana, hal and barry (and maybe the rest of the satellite era justice league) are the same age.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    i always cringe whenever batman steals a power ring from any green lantern while said lantern was still wearing it.
    Agreed. That's stupid. I hate that.

Having the lantern stolen while unattended or leaving the rings sitting around somewhere is a different story. Those can be fun.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    So judging by the last issue, am I to assume that Carol/Kyle never happened? He wasted literally no time to make a move on Sora. If Manhattan erased that crap too, I'll be totally rooting for him.
    i have decided that the kyle carol nonsense never happened. if dc decides to follow suit, good for them.

Astonishing Member

Agreed. That's stupid. I hate that.

Having the lantern stolen while unattended or leaving the rings sitting around somewhere is a different story. Those can be fun.
    makes no sense for the guardians to build the most powerful weapon in the universe and not place sufficient security protocols.

what if a green lantern was plummeting from space to earth. isn't the re-entry violent enough to yank off common jewelry.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    makes no sense for the guardians to build the most powerful weapon in the universe and not place sufficient security protocols.

what if a green lantern was plummeting from space to earth. isn't the re-entry violent enough to yank off common jewelry.
    Ring should have a force field that's negating the re-entry and yanking the ring directly.

Frankly, Rings in general are one of the harder things to 'yank off' without the owner noticing. What with the whole knuckle bone situation. The ring should fit snug, if not even tight. if the hand isn't completely straight, it isn't going to slip off without him noticing.

As for Guardians putting in catch all protocols? I'm not a fan of that in general. For me a hero is defined by how he overcomes his limitations... and the Green Lantern ring had few of those. I LIKE the yellow weakness, I LIKE the 24 hour time limit. I like that the powers are in a piece of jewelry that anyone can take if the hero is negligent. Just hand-waving every little thing as 'the guardian's would have thought of that' is lazy storytelling. Besides... The guardian's ALSO like their minions to have a few weaknesses... especially after the Manhunter incident. They wouldn't want to deputize gods... the rings are just (extremely awesome) weapons. It takes the creature to operate it at it's best capacity.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Oh crap, I forgot about the new timeline.

The GL side seems to be historically immune to DC's ever changing reality resets.

Still, I do think it helps if a GL timeline was established.

When did the other Earth GL's get their rings after Hal?

How old are these guys?

Depends on how long you think the timeline is. Most people figure it's about 15 years since the formation of the Justice League. It was 5 years during the New 52, but with the stolen decade that seems to have returned in bits and pieces, it seems to be about 15 years.

As to how old the various GLs are, they are all in their physical prime because of their rings slowing down their aging and keeping them fit. This doesn't mean a GL is immortal, but the ring has been established as being able to keep the ring bearer younger, or, in Arisia's notorious case, older.

So, that means, Hal was mid to late twenties when he first got the ring, and is chronologically about 40ish, but his resurrection gave him back his youth. Guy is the same age as Hal, but keeps his body younger with his ring. John is a few years younger than both of them, which is why he wasn't a candidate for Abin Sur's ring like Hal & Guy were, so he's likely in his mid to late 30s. Kyle was in his early 20s when he first got the ring, which was around the time of Superman's death and return. Since Jon Kent was born after that, Kyle's been a GL for about a decade, putting him in his early 30s now.

Simon & Jessica are both presumably in their early to mid 20s.

On a slight tangent... Has anything been done with Torquemada in the past... decade or so? I remember REALLY liking that wizard Green Lantern and wanting to see more him. Same thing with the Vampire hunter GL... I only saw him the once, but I wanted more of him. I really wish they'd bring back the old Green Lantern Corps Quarterly book. Enough with force feeding us half a dozen human GL's... and lets get some crazy weird alien ones with some one-shot stories.

Astonishing Member

Ring should have a force field that's negating the re-entry and yanking the ring directly.

Frankly, Rings in general are one of the harder things to 'yank off' without the owner noticing. What with the whole knuckle bone situation. The ring should fit snug, if not even tight. if the hand isn't completely straight, it isn't going to slip off without him noticing.

As for Guardians putting in catch all protocols? I'm not a fan of that in general. For me a hero is defined by how he overcomes his limitations... and the Green Lantern ring had few of those. I LIKE the yellow weakness, I LIKE the 24 hour time limit. I like that the powers are in a piece of jewelry that anyone can take if the hero is negligent. Just hand-waving every little thing as 'the guardian's would have thought of that' is lazy storytelling. Besides... The guardian's ALSO like their minions to have a few weaknesses... especially after the Manhunter incident. They wouldn't want to deputize gods... the rings are just (extremely awesome) weapons. It takes the creature to operate it at it's best capacity.
    i don't think anybody should be able to steal off a green lantern. perhaps a former wielder of a power ring who has had connections with the source could, but i just don't like the idea even if the perpetrator is a master thief.

having the same force field that protect the rings from re-entry to keeping the rings safe from thieves won't make the lanterns gods, it does make the rings security measures consistent.

Astonishing Member

On a slight tangent... Has anything been done with Torquemada in the past... decade or so? I remember REALLY liking that wizard Green Lantern and wanting to see more him. Same thing with the Vampire hunter GL... I only saw him the once, but I wanted more of him. I really wish they'd bring back the old Green Lantern Corps Quarterly book. Enough with force feeding us half a dozen human GL's... and lets get some crazy weird alien ones with some one-shot stories.
    yeah, i remember those two lanterns. shame that everybody is crammed in one book. one title is not enough for the 4 main earth lanterns. wish dc would promote more the lantern franchise.

Well, we are talking about the guy who used to leave his power battery in his work locker... He has a rich history of being careless with his ring and/or battery and getting them stolen out from under him.
    You have a point. But Hal or any GL getting their rings stolen is just silly writing. How are these guys able to protect anyone if they can't even look after their own weapons? I'd like to think that the GL rings cannot be forcefully removed by anyone other than the owner or the Guardians, or if the respected GL kicks the bucket.

Incredible Member

Is it just me or has the writing (especially dialogues) been subpar for the last 2 issues or so?
    Last edited by SebastianS; 04-27-2017 at 06:20 AM.

hal, wearing... purple?

Astonishing Member

While I have liked the return of Action Hal in HJ&tGLC the latest issue bothered me because they are going with the blindlessly charging in narrative for Hal. Yes he thinks quick on his feed and he never suffers from paralysis from over analysis but this is getting ridiculous. I know Verenditti is trying to differentiate between the Lanterns but the never consider any consequences Hal does a disservice to the character and if that is who Hal is, who the heck is Guy? Hal will/should never be confused with John, Sinestro or Kreon but he shouldn't be as he is being portrayed either. Hal with the, "John you stay back here and strategize (think) I will go mindlessly charging off into battle..." is as dumb and tone deaf as Kyle trying to get his mack on with Sora when there is an imminent threat looming.