Page 505 of 885 FirstFirst ... 5405455495501502503504505506507508509515555605 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,575 of 13267
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    i always cringe whenever batman steals a power ring from any green lantern while said lantern was still wearing it.
    Back in the day, one poster said Batman does have a super power: he has a jobber aura. Sometimes I think Brainiac 5 has that, too.

It does explain some of their feats.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Depends on how long you think the timeline is. Most people figure it's about 15 years since the formation of the Justice League. It was 5 years during the New 52, but with the stolen decade that seems to have returned in bits and pieces, it seems to be about 15 years.

As to how old the various GLs are, they are all in their physical prime because of their rings slowing down their aging and keeping them fit. This doesn't mean a GL is immortal, but the ring has been established as being able to keep the ring bearer younger, or, in Arisia's notorious case, older.

So, that means, Hal was mid to late twenties when he first got the ring, and is chronologically about 40ish, but his resurrection gave him back his youth. Guy is the same age as Hal, but keeps his body younger with his ring. John is a few years younger than both of them, which is why he wasn't a candidate for Abin Sur's ring like Hal & Guy were, so he's likely in his mid to late 30s. Kyle was in his early 20s when he first got the ring, which was around the time of Superman's death and return. Since Jon Kent was born after that, Kyle's been a GL for about a decade, putting him in his early 30s now.

Simon & Jessica are both presumably in their early to mid 20s.
    Thanks for the enlightenment.

I do recall early post crisis, that Guy may have used the ring to slow his aging while Hal did not. I think that was when they had the fist fight for the ring. I had a panel between Stewart & Hal that actually stated John was too young for Abin's ring when Hal & Guy were the top two picks. I don't know if that pre or post crisis, though.

It does seem weird that Kyle would be early 30s, but that would make him older than Dick & Wally. In another life, I think Kyle would have been "Teen Lantern".

I always felt Guy would be the oldest. John acts older due to the various tragedies in his life, imo.

I will just go with your timeline.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    While I have liked the return of Action Hal in HJ&tGLC the latest issue bothered me because they are going with the blindlessly charging in narrative for Hal. Yes he thinks quick on his feed and he never suffers from paralysis from over analysis but this is getting ridiculous. I know Verenditti is trying to differentiate between the Lanterns but the never consider any consequences Hal does a disservice to the character and if that is who Hal is, who the heck is Guy? Hal will/should never be confused with John, Sinestro or Kreon but he shouldn't be as he is being portrayed either. Hal with the, "John you stay back here and strategize (think) I will go mindlessly charging off into battle..." is as dumb and tone deaf as Kyle trying to get his mack on with Sora when there is an imminent threat looming.
    That dynamic works for Cyclops & Wolverine, not John & Hal.

It always troubles me when writers can't make the clear distinction between Hal & Guy.

They need to sit down, and watch GL-TAS, for remedial viewing.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 04-27-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Is it just me or has the writing (especially dialogues) been subpar for the last 2 issues or so?
    I thought it's still been pretty solid.
    While I have liked the return of Action Hal in HJ&tGLC the latest issue bothered me because they are going with the blindlessly charging in narrative for Hal. Yes he thinks quick on his feed and he never suffers from paralysis from over analysis but this is getting ridiculous. I know Verenditti is trying to differentiate between the Lanterns but the never consider any consequences Hal does a disservice to the character and if that is who Hal is, who the heck is Guy? Hal will/should never be confused with John, Sinestro or Kreon but he shouldn't be as he is being portrayed either. Hal with the, "John you stay back here and strategize (think) I will go mindlessly charging off into battle..." is as dumb and tone deaf as Kyle trying to get his mack on with Sora when there is an imminent threat looming.
    Guy would have done that without taking into account John coming up with a plan .

Hal with the, "John you stay back here and strategize (think) I will go mindlessly charging off into battle..." is as dumb and tone deaf as Kyle trying to get his mack on with Sora when there is an imminent threat looming.
    Urgh...that Kyle and Sora moment...On the one hand I was glad because this meant that Kyle-Carol was pretty much retconned out of continuity, but the timing and the execution are just O.o

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    hal, wearing... purple?
    I'm guessing that's supposed to be an Indigo Tribe look? Disappointed that his symbol stays the same, but I like that his constructs change color.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-27-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    Urgh...that Kyle and Sora moment...On the one hand I was glad because this meant that Kyle-Carol was pretty much retconned out of continuity, but the timing and the execution are just O.o
    maybe, maybe not, maybe the Carol thing is the reason why Sora is giving Kyle the Heisman stiff-arm, lol.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    Exactly. I dont care if Carol and Kyle are an item, nor do I care if they are not. But Kyle going after Soranik in the middle of a crisis... it just reads so out of character. And this is exactly my concern in the last 2 issues. I have noticed a dip in the quality of the dialogues, and the general writing. You also see it with Hal mindlessly charging at an enemy of unknown abilities. And how many times have we read characters describing each others "features" in the last issues ("John, you are the thinking one", "Oh Kyle, always the artist" "Guy is the strong-headed" etc, etc, etc). I think in trying to come with different personalities for each GL, Venditti is falling in a pattern of "tell, don't show", and one cliche after another.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Back in the day, one poster said Batman does have a super power: he has a jobber aura.
    lol The wrestling analogy is SO accurate when it comes to pairing other heroes with Bats. DC overprotects him so much at the expense of others, that it's become an utter joke.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    lol The wrestling analogy is SO accurate when it comes to pairing other heroes with Bats. DC overprotects him so much at the expense of others, that it's become an utter joke.
    nah Bruce is just DC's version of the Lazytaker, unwilling to 'sell' the moves of his opponents making them look bad, lol.

nah Bruce is just DC's version of the Lazytaker, unwilling to 'sell' the moves of his opponents making them look bad, lol.
    Taker's character was supposed to be impervious to pain cause he supposedly had supernatural powers. Bruce is just a guy in a Batsuit with high-tech toys who makes everyone else look like an idiot "because he sells". lol I love the guy but come on.

Astonishing Member

Taker's character was supposed to be impervious to pain cause he supposedly had supernatural powers. Bruce is just a guy in a Batsuit with high-tech toys who makes everyone else look like an idiot "because he sells". lol I love the guy but come on.
    oh I get the mythology aspect of the Taker but his never selling his latest biggest threat's offense really isn't good for business.

Not that there was any doubt, but Action Comics confirmed Cyborg Superman blowing up Coast City, with our boy standing there in that ridiculous old costume again.

New 52 shoulder pads>>>>>>>Silver Age onesie. And. Don't. You. Forget. It!

oh I get the mythology aspect of the Taker but his never selling his latest biggest threat's offense really isn't good for business.
    He did good business this year. And bless him if he's finally done, cause the guy is so broken down.

Astonishing Member

Not that there was any doubt, but Action Comics confirmed Cyborg Superman blowing up Coast City, with our boy standing there in that ridiculous old costume again.

New 52 shoulder pads>>>>>>>Silver Age onesie. And. Don't. You. Forget. It!
    yea one thing I don't like is the cherry picking of history, I didn't like wiping it away completely but the cherry picking is almost as maddening. No Superboy in the Reign of the Supermen, who if anyone took over for Bruce after Bane broke his back if he just recently 'met' Jean Paul Valley (Azrael) during Knightfall and the most infuriating the loss of Vic's Teen Titans history after trying to restore everyone else's.