Page 670 of 885 FirstFirst ... 170570620660666667668669670671672673674680720770 ... LastLast
Results 10,036 to 10,050 of 13267
    Extraordinary Member

I love the GL mythos.

But when I think about, a lot of writers introduced a lot of questionable stories to the canon.

It is even more weird that like Batman, GL continuity has survived one Crisis after the next.

Hal's dating habits, Guy's head injuries, and even John using racially charged language & and being responsible for the destruction of planets (yet never suffering more than a guilty conscience) should be revised or deleted.

I kinda see where Kyle, and even Jess & Simon, can be seen as fresh starts, free of baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

I'm still scratching my head on this. Is the Evil Star thing real? Or is that just supposed to be the generic duty calls Hal, time to go? I'm probably over thinking this. Why is this something super urgent for Hal anyway? Why not the GL of sector 1103? And what's the point of showing us this? What are we supposed to learn about Hal, that the most willful person in the universe does whatever John tells him? The past few issues with his ghost dad and this one with dream Carol all push him to reconnect with his Earth ties. It seemed like a big deal, he blew off Supes to do this. Now we're almost back to square one with Hal being all business all space cop. I guess it's Venditti's way of saying Hey this is why Hal isn't on Earth so stop bugging me about it nerds. At least he didn't show some random dude in there with her.
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Given what we now know about sexual harassment, and the current climate of men being exposed....I'm really glad Hal does not work at Ferris anymore.

I would hate for some (pro-Hal or Anti-Hal) writer to make that era....political.

I don't think Hal was harassing his boss, but I prefer they just keep it as Hal leaving the company in order to date Carol.
    I mean, Hal's a massive flirt, but I don't think he would ever approach or touch a woman without their permission.

Maybe kiss them spur of the moment, but that's about it (and women also do this as well).
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    I'm still scratching my head on this. Is the Evil Star thing real? Or is that just supposed to be the generic duty calls Hal, time to go? I'm probably over thinking this. Why is this something super urgent for Hal anyway? Why not the GL of sector 1103? And what's the point of showing us this? What are we supposed to learn about Hal, that the most willful person in the universe does whatever John tells him? The past few issues with his ghost dad and this one with dream Carol all push him to reconnect with his Earth ties. It seemed like a big deal, he blew off Supes to do this. Now we're almost back to square one with Hal being all business all space cop. I guess it's Venditti's way of saying Hey this is why Hal isn't on Earth so stop bugging me about it nerds. At least he didn't show some random dude in there with her.
    Evil Star was teased a while back in that flash-forward, and Hal is pretty loyal to John and doesn't want to undercut his command.

Extraordinary Member

It is weird that writers keep revisiting the Hal is too busy being GL to be with Carol saga.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Evil Star was teased a while back in that flash-forward, and Hal is pretty loyal to John and doesn't want to undercut his command.
    Yeah I remember that flash forward. Again, maybe it's just how the metal issue drops and adds this detour to the story, but if it was a big deal then page 1 of #32 shoulda shown Hal & Evil Star go at it. I didn't get a real sense of urgency. I know ASAP was in bold... but there was no "Hal in ten seconds a bomb... supernova... millions of Whatevertonians will die..." It's not about Hal defying John. Hal can still go deal with ES. I just don't get why he can't do it in an hour or two.
    Save Ferris...

It is weird that writers keep revisiting the Hal is too busy being GL to be with Carol saga.
    Cause this is rebirth and everything old is new again....
    Save Ferris...

Extraordinary Member

I mean, Hal's a massive flirt, but I don't think he would ever approach or touch a woman without their permission.

Maybe kiss them spur of the moment, but that's about it (and women also do this as well).
    I totally agree with you.

I think Hal is a charmer with mostly good & honorable intentions. However, we both know some writers have agendas, and will introduce PIS to make a statement. I have never been a fan of lady-killer Hal because some writers go overboard with that (having a one night stand without knowing a woman's name, the superhero threesome, & knocking boots with Cowgirl who was a POW due to him leaving his ring behind). We still have the Arisia & Guy's fiance thing, too. I would hate for some writer to think: "Hal is a pig, let's make a very special episode story out of it." I don't want Hal going out like Hank Pym & Scott Summers when it comes to romantic relationships.

While I'm not the biggest Geoff Johns fan, he does deserve an award for his brilliant Parallax retcon.

I like to think Hal clearly paid his dues with social relevancy during the Hard Traveling Heroes saga.

Extraordinary Member

Hal still owes John for living under his roof (with a girlfriend in tow) for free back in the 1980's.

Just imagine if that dirty little secret was ever exposed.....

Hal did the right thing with prioritizing.

Man...that needs to be retconned too.....

Extraordinary Member

Cause this is rebirth and everything old is new again....
    I wish I had a comeback for that.

Extraordinary Member

I love the GL mythos.

But when I think about, a lot of writers introduced a lot of questionable stories to the canon.

It is even more weird that like Batman, GL continuity has survived one Crisis after the next.

Hal's dating habits, Guy's head injuries, and even John using racially charged language & and being responsible for the destruction of planets (yet never suffering more than a guilty conscience) should be revised or deleted.

I kinda see where Kyle, and even Jess & Simon, can be seen as fresh starts, free of baggage.
    Johns rebooted and revised GL before Flashpoint. It was the cleanest continuity in DC

Mighty Member

Gotta milk that suspense I guess! I admit I we entirely suspecting some random guy to pop up in the window. I guess this is just Venditti trying to drag out the possibility of Hal and Carol getting together again since 60+ issues apparently hasn't been long enough to ignore it. She is supposed to show up again within the next few issues so who knows

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Johns rebooted and revised GL before Flashpoint. It was the cleanest continuity in DC
    I know Johns got rid of a lot of Gerald Jones' stuff (which is a good thing nowadays).

A lot of stuff just was not mentioned ever again. The problem with that is one never knows when a writer struggling for a story, brings up an old skeleton back into continuity.

I still don't know how Hal met Guy & John, assuming the Silver Age stuff was removed.

In regards to John Stewart, in a Geoff written story, Hal's inner monologue indicated that he wanted to punch him during their initial meeting, but eventually grew to like & respect him as they alike in questioning authority (I think). Reading the Silver Age meeting, I can honestly see why Hal would want to punch John, initially.

My memory is horrible, but I don't know how that monologue gels with Geoff's revised origin of Hal apparently first meeting John in a bar fight between the Air Force & the Marines before poor Abin crashed on Earth.

Silver age John Stewart & Marine Corps John are almost two different people. I can't see Marine Corps John calling anyone "whitey".

I would love to see the history between Hal & Guy explored. A lot of what made Guy...well...Guy was his history & animosity with Hal. I'm not sure if the silver age & 80's stuff is still canon, or an updated story was presented under my nose.

Are Hal & Guy simply a case of two ultra alpha males clashing (like in the excellent GLTAS)? Or did Gardner have a legitimate, or irrational reason for butting heads with Jordan (like the faulty Lantern battery & fiance triangle)?

If anyone can enlighten me, please do so.

Damn, I love these ring slingers, and their wacky shared history.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 11-10-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    Gotta milk that suspense I guess! I admit I we entirely suspecting some random guy to pop up in the window. I guess this is just Venditti trying to drag out the possibility of Hal and Carol getting together again since 60+ issues apparently hasn't been long enough to ignore it. She is supposed to show up again within the next few issues so who knows
    I don't even think he's trying to drag it out because that implies that there's eventually a final destination to reach. I think Venditti is already at his final destination. He wants this status quo and will go out of his way to avoid changing it. That's why Hal is starting to feel stale IMO. Same old same old. Maybe Carol will pop in again around #35 or 36. The cynic in me doubts it'll be anything good though.

I know there's a lot of Venditti support but I think a change might be good. Don't worry, we're not getting one this year. Maybe 2019. But you look at Green Lanterns. There's opinions both ways on Humphries but the fact is that book was stagnating. I'm not saying Seeley is better, but he is different and it's noticable in his first issues. I'm honestly mildly intrigued. Plus he gave Simon a much needed bump since he's been living in Jess' shadow for most of Hump's run. It's just different, and that's what Hal needs. A different voice. I don't care who. I really don't. Yeah, could be worse and if it is then DC fires that guy and brings someone else in. But to me, at least getting Venditti off the book would be a proactive move on DC's part and shows me that they actually give a crap about it.
    Save Ferris...

I'm surprised Venditti stuck around this long. He's been on GL for at least 60+ issues now and that's no joke for today's standards. Gone are the days when creators write the same book for years, unless it's a best-selling title, yet DC seems to really like Venditti for some reason. I don't think I dislike his writing that much, but I agree it definitely feels uneventful most of the time.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-10-2017 at 06:00 PM.