Page 694 of 885 FirstFirst ... 194594644684690691692693694695696697698704744794 ... LastLast
Results 10,396 to 10,410 of 13267
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd be lying if I said it didn't make the thread feel like a downer sometimes, but I know your hearts and thoughts are in the right place of appreciating and loving Hal and wanting DC to do right by him on all fronts .

Happy Holidays guys:

Was Barry standing on steps here?

Hal is normally taller.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    nah, you're good. although it sucks that you were right about hal not being in justice league. sigh. (now, if i can only put you in the same room with wb execs, we might have a turn around with the way they have faith on the rest of their dc property).

happy holidays johnny!
    You know, you have a great avatar.

Anyone else long for the days when the green energy had the appearance of flame?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Then there's the fact that Hal was initially based on Paul Newman, who was also Jewish. As pointed out, there have been nods and examples before that Hal was Jewish, so I guess Tom King just went and made it official.
    The idea of Hal being Jewish has been around for decades, like Wonder Woman being bisexual. DC just never became these ideas official until recently.

I don't get it. How can people argue that DC doesn't care about Hal when he's the GL poster child and Geoff Johns' pet Lantern. If anything I would say WB are the ones who don't care. I'm willing to bet that WB and DC are probably at odds on what to do with him.
    Last edited by TheSupernaut; 12-24-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Never apologize, Johnny.

Your passion for the mythos burns like a power battery.
    Too kind.

Last edited by Johnny; 12-25-2017 at 01:28 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    I don't get it. How can people argue that DC doesn't care about Hal when he's the GL poster child and Geoff Johns' pet Lantern. If anything I would say WB are the ones who don't care. I'm willing to bet that WB and DC are probably at odds on what to do with him.
    I've seen people accuse Johns of hating Kyle, but that's nonsense. Johns is just a Hal fanboy, that's all.

As far as Hal's status at DC goes, I agree with you that it's tenuous. The problem was that Johns tried to build a franchise around Hal, and DC went along with it for a long time. That was a mistake. As was Johns creating Baz and Cruz. Now DC has got a big mess on its hands with Green Lantern, with the sales in the tank, and you have to lay that at the feet of Johns.

It's a "Hal Jordan appreciation" thread not a "Hal Jordan can't carry a franchise" thread or "Geoff Johns bashfest" thread.

It's a "Hal Jordan appreciation" thread not a "Hal Jordan can't carry a franchise" thread or "Geoff Johns bashfest" thread.
    Don’t respond to him. He’s a troll trying to derail another thread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Don’t respond to him. He’s a troll trying to derail another thread.
    I'm a fan of Hal. Down there in my sig, I've written two sample issues with him as the star. That's not what an anti-Hal "troll" does. That's what someone who appreciates the character does. I was also a member of HEAT, along with Geoff Johns. I was one of those guys who got attacked on the message boards for wanting Hal back.

So yes, I've got longstanding credentials for supporting Hal when most fans didn't.

Hal is just not a franchise carrier, that's all. It's time to use him accordingly.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-25-2017 at 08:09 AM.

You know, you have a great avatar.

Anyone else long for the days when the green energy had the appearance of flame?
    thanks dude. which leads me to think that alex ross needs to draw more green lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I'm a fan of Hal. Down there in my sig, I've written two sample issues with him as the star. That's not what an anti-Hal "troll" does. That's what someone who appreciates the character does. I was also a member of HEAT, along with Geoff Johns. I was one of those guys who got attacked on the message boards for wanting Hal back.

So yes, I've got longstanding credentials for supporting Hal when most fans didn't.

Hal is just not a franchise carrier, that's all. It's time to use him accordingly.
    > Member of HEAT
    > Says Hal cant carry a franchise

These things dont go together
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Too kind.

I love Francis Manapul's covers .

Only for Alan Scott, which I thought was awesome. Now that, I miss.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    Let me clarify. I'm sure that, looking at the GL property itself, seems like DC cares about Hal a lot. But when you look at the overall DCU landscape, how important of a character has Hal really been treated like? He seems to be the one founding JL member that's always being excluded or replaced almost without a second thought. Hal is only treated as an important player in his own corner of the DCU. In a way he's like this big fish in a small pond. I also think DC sees him as a safety net of sorts, almost like an afterthought. He's the fall back guy whenever DC feels like their new Green Lanterns are starting to lose their luster or don't know what to do with them anymore. They go back to Hal whenever they feel like they need him, but they don't really seem to need him all that much otherwise.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-25-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I've seen people accuse Johns of hating Kyle, but that's nonsense. Johns is just a Hal fanboy, that's all.

As far as Hal's status at DC goes, I agree with you that it's tenuous. The problem was that Johns tried to build a franchise around Hal, and DC went along with it for a long time. That was a mistake. As was Johns creating Baz and Cruz. Now DC has got a big mess on its hands with Green Lantern, with the sales in the tank, and you have to lay that at the feet of Johns.
    I actually think Johns is more a Sinestro fanboy, and spent way too much time on the Emotional Spectrum.

IMO, Johns did not do enough to deepen Hal's character. He just bounced Hal around from one saga to the next, with little character growth.

Sinestro seems to be the one character who went on a full journey from 2005 Rebirth under Geoff's pen, and I feel the villain enjoyed a few Mary Sue moments.

I actually think Hal devolved during the Geoff era.

I do agree the franchise suffered due to Johns putting more effort into his concepts over the characters.

It's really bad that DC seems content to circle around that era despite the diminishing returns.