Page 705 of 885 FirstFirst ... 205605655695701702703704705706707708709715755805 ... LastLast
Results 10,561 to 10,575 of 13267

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    And it's definitely nice to see people who WANT to write Hal himself rather than they're stuck with him because he's "the" GL
    It was nice to know there were no mandates to use Hal, they used him because they wanted to not because they were told to. I'm getting tired of this notion that Hal Jordan is only being prominently used because DC mandates it, as if there's nothing interesting about the character that any writer would want to write. Hardman also said he worked on the Green Lantern movie, which could be another reason he wanted to do the character justice, as compared to the movie.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-06-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    I believe it's the characters people latch on to, not just the stories. The characters can, given the chance, have greater longevity than any individual story ever could. So you need characters people will want to invest in, so they will invest in the comics containing them and play a role in ensuring further stories with these characters. We want to know what makes Hal tick because that's what we use when discussing him. The wrestling conversation a page or two ago was about how the four Earth Lanterns match the personalities of famous wrestlers (tbh it went right over my head). Stories rely on characters to drive them after all.
    This is a great post!

Your thought are exactly what this franchise needs, imo.

They all have the same power-set (plus the other ring color coprs), so character development is crucial.

The wrestling stuff was just for laughs.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 01-07-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It was nice to know there were no mandates to use Hal, they used him because they wanted to not because they were told to. I'm getting tired of this notion that Hal Jordan is only being prominently used because DC mandates it, as if there's nothing interesting about the character that any writer would want to write. Hardman also said he worked on the Green Lantern movie, which could be another reason he wanted to do the character justice, as compared to the movie.
    Yes, this is a very tedious argument, and I'm glad we have a creative team giving it the middle finger in an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yes, this is a very tedious argument, and I'm glad we have a creative team giving it the middle finger in an interview.
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it funny when people try to disparage this character at every turn and ends up blowing up in their face.

Extraordinary Member

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it funny when people try to disparage this character at every turn and ends up blowing up in their face.
    Yeah, it's pretty great.

The notion that Hal only appeals to older men from the Silver Age and that he is inherently boring compared to the other Lanterns is seriously annoying. He wouldn't be pushed the way he is if he didn't have some appeal and fans, and that includes on the creator side of things.

Extraordinary Member

My main gripe with Hal is how often, or desperate, the creators seem to make him kewl. Writers ignore the more relatable aspects of his character (a basically decent, yet self-sacrificing man who cares about, and is fiercely loyal to friends & family) in favor of a reckless airhead who can't wait to bed the next woman.

I thought it was interesting the Geoff wrote Hal joining the Air Force against his mother's wishes (to avoid his father's fate), yet throwing his career away to reach her deathbed.

That is more interesting to than a one night stand with a woman whose name he can't remember, or having no guilt in bedding cowgirl when his silliness caused her to be a POW (and another pilot to be crippled). I'm not a fan of Lady-Killer Hal.

I am a fan of the good, but broke man has no fear when it is time to do the right thing. Not many people will sacrifice their desires for the greater good like Hal would.

He left Earth for a calendar year to police his entire sector. That is why we should celebrate our soldiers, even if we don't agree with the wars they might be fighting.

this would look great at any home...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    My main gripe with Hal is how often, or desperate, the creators seem to make him kewl. Writers ignore the more relatable aspects of his character (a basically decent, yet self-sacrificing man who cares about, and is fiercely loyal to friends & family) in favor of a reckless airhead who can't wait to bed the next woman..
    Hal doesn't come off as a womaniser to me. While my experience of Hal's background only really includes the first Rebirth onwards, his only romantic pursuits were Carol and Cowgirl. Through Ferris Air he has background with them, and he would have pulled out if they really weren't on board with it. Hal knows when to back off, and will do so unless the universe itself is in peril. We've seen how Hal's biggest hang up is maintaining the relationship in the face of his Lantern duties (at the start of New 52 he could have had a relationship with Carol if Sinestro hadn't shown up, at least until the Third Army was unleashed), so you could say he's married to the job.

Hal doesn't come off as a womaniser to me. While my experience of Hal's background only really includes the first Rebirth onwards, his only romantic pursuits were Carol and Cowgirl. Through Ferris Air he has background with them, and he would have pulled out if they really weren't on board with it. Hal knows when to back off, and will do so unless the universe itself is in peril. We've seen how Hal's biggest hang up is maintaining the relationship in the face of his Lantern duties (at the start of New 52 he could have had a relationship with Carol if Sinestro hadn't shown up, at least until the Third Army was unleashed), so you could say he's married to the job.
    Haha good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    This is a great post!

Your thought are exactly what this franchise needs, imo.

They all have the same power-set (plus the other ring color coprs), so character development is crucial.

The wrestling stuff was just for laughs.
    i agree...

what would be a good direction to take this year with hal's character development? the way i'm seeing it is that can only happen if returns earth side.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    what would be a good direction to take this year with hal's character development? the way i'm seeing it is that can only happen if returns earth side.
    Bring Carol into the book and back into Hal's life.

You could bring Hal back to earth and Ferris air or have Carol suit up as Star Sapphire and join Hal in space.

Either one works for me.

Extraordinary Member

IIRC, during "Cry for Justice", it was heavily implied that Hal had a threesome with Huntress & Lady Blackhawk.

I bit later, that incident was stated to be rumor only.

Early in the GL book, Ollie came to visit Hal as a woman was leaving his apartment after a one night stand. Hal did not even know her name.

Also, in order to get information from creepy Hector Hammond, Hal allowed the weirdo to access his memories of past sexual exploits.

IIRC (again), Hector was all like...."I wanna be you, Hal".

I felt these were unnecessary attempts to make Hal look kewl.

Extraordinary Member

Haha good to know.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i agree...

I think Hal works best being on Earth, full time. With so many Earth GL's, Hal only should be out in space for the really big threats.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Bring Carol into the book and back into Hal's life.

You could bring Hal back to earth and Ferris air or have Carol suit up as Star Sapphire and join Hal in space.

Either one works for me.
    I am for Hal & Carol being back together, but I prefer it be on Earth. Now that Carol has stepped into Hal's shoes, she should understand the struggles, and sacrifices he made being a cosmic hero over the years. Plus, I am curious to see what happened to her company.

Well, I would really to see Hal.....get a job.

It would make sense if he & Tom started their own business as aircraft mechanics. This would allow Hal more freedom to be Green Lantern, and keep money in his pocket. It would be nice way to honor his mother by not flying, yet still being around planes. Tom can cover for his absences, too.

I think Tom could be the Foggy Nelson to Hal's Matt Murdock.

With all the planes Hal has crashed, plus his weird Air Force record, I can't see anyone wanting hire him as a pilot.