Page 739 of 885 FirstFirst ... 239639689729735736737738739740741742743749789839 ... LastLast
Results 11,071 to 11,085 of 13267

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Jack should have been resurrected. IIRC, he kinda gave Hal grief over his life decisions. Jack could be a great source of conflict if Hal ever reestablished a civilian life on Earth.

Jack would be a better source of conflict than the now cliched stuff we get with Carol (before she went MIA).
    Don't really agree with that...

Jack was always such a MINOR character. I don't remember him being interacted with at ALL post-crisis and his pre-crisis moments were few and far between. It was cool that unlike so many characters Hal was NOT an only child... but the actual character of Jack didn't really bring much to the table.

So much about the destruction of Coast City has been disregarded... I actually like SOMETHING to have stuck. I was annoyed that they brought Jim back too... but really when they talk about 7 million people being murdered.. except for Tom, carol, Hal's brothers, the other pilots, and pretty much anyone we actually had names attached to... it kind of loses all meaning.

Jack's fine dead.

Does anyone remember what happened with Hal's niece in the Spectre run? I had the first 8-10 issues before I lost all interest in that book. I THOUGHT she was Jim's daughter, but now it seems he has a son instead... so maybe she was Jack's. But yeah, I think that was the first time I saw mention of the brothers (and that was that they were dead). They weren't even in Emerald Dawn I think...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Funny, I thought Hal's family was working class. At least the modern version.
    They are now, but back then they seemed kind of... high society? Hal got along back then but now he'd probably be the black sheep of his family (or, I guess he is anyway...)

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Does anyone remember what happened with Hal's niece in the Spectre run? I had the first 8-10 issues before I lost all interest in that book. I THOUGHT she was Jim's daughter, but now it seems he has a son instead... so maybe she was Jack's. But yeah, I think that was the first time I saw mention of the brothers (and that was that they were dead). They weren't even in Emerald Dawn I think...
    Helen was Jack's daughter, yeah. Jack didn't die in Coast City (Jim DID, but that was ignored for GL Rebirth), he died in the Spectre series when a villain named Stigmonius killed him in a car crash. Spectre Hal started taking care of Helen and she turned out to be pretty good at magic. After that book ended she was never seen again, unfortunately.

I don't remember his brothers being in Emerald Dawn either. I don't think they showed up in the 80s or early 90s at all.

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    Helen was Jack's daughter, yeah. Jack didn't die in Coast City (Jim DID, but that was ignored for GL Rebirth), he died in the Spectre series when a villain named Stigmonius killed him in a car crash. Spectre Hal started taking care of Helen and she turned out to be pretty good at magic. After that book ended she was never seen again, unfortunately.

I don't remember his brothers being in Emerald Dawn either. I don't think they showed up in the 80s or early 90s at all.
    That's right... it's been a while since I read those. It was such a weird story, I kept expecting her to be some kind of fake out... mental projection... construct or angel/demon or some metaphysical psychological thing just to pull the rug out from under Hal at some random anniversary.

I THINK they did that with the Abin Sur 'Spirit Guide'... but again, wasn't a fan of that book

Astonishing Member

might be nice if someone made a simple pedigree chart for hal.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    I'd be happy to see more characters interaction. Considering four GLs are in one book it feels like we haven't gotten very much catcher interaction. Hal and Kyle chat sometimes but it isn't often that deep and I don't think we've really seem the four of them taking much until the most recent arc.
    I think an issue where Hal, John, Guy and Kyle just hand out doing whatever, no rings, no crisis, just four friends hanging out. A pool party would be cool, seeing the characters where they'd most fit in within that setting. John would probably be lifeguard or swimming laps. Hal at a barbecue (it fits the classic hero archetype of Hal), Guy on a sun lounger and Kyle chilling out in the pool imagine how he's going to make all the colors if he decides to recreate the scene later. Fun, banter, stories in a familiar setting. Maybe Guy comments on Kyle's brand from Soranik and it inspires a conversation about romantic regrets and Hal leaves early to finally talk to Carol.

Tom King's Batman recently had an issue where Clark and Lois went on a double date with Bruce and Selina Kyle (engaged to be married) involving superhero theme night, and an early Superman Rebirth issue was all about the Kents at the local fair. Both were really fun issues and a nice change of pace from the usual fighting bad guys or cosmic menaces.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    Tom King's Batman recently had an issue where Clark and Lois went on a double date with Bruce and Selina Kyle (engaged to be married) involving superhero theme night, and an early Superman Rebirth issue was all about the Kents at the local fair. Both were really fun issues and a nice change of pace from the usual fighting bad guys or cosmic menaces.
    Yeah something like that would be nice for the GLs. I mean, I had some issue with Batman hitting Superman's fastball, but it made its point. Those types of stories are Tom King's strength and Venditti's powerful weakness. The last time anything like that happened in GL, it was that whole dumb "find yourself someday, Hal" bar fight issue.
    Save Ferris...

I remember some solid downtime issues in Venditti's X-O Manowar.

Or, at least, more meaningful, smaller, moments between the big fights and battles that I think you all are talking about.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Hal's brother, Jim's wedding from GL #31.

RCO031_1469393703.jpg

And this last page is hilarious. The looks on Jim's face is great.

RCO032_1469393703.jpg
    Last edited by WallyWestFlash; 02-10-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    Yeah something like that would be nice for the GLs. I mean, I had some issue with Batman hitting Superman's fastball, but it made its point. Those types of stories are Tom King's strength and Venditti's powerful weakness. The last time anything like that happened in GL, it was that whole dumb "find yourself someday, Hal" bar fight issue.
    I think that issue was Veditti killing time waiting for the issue 40 retool into Renegade. Those couple of issues are the last time Hal and Kilowog spent any time together.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Bendis said on Twitter he's already written some Green Lantern. Presumably, this is probably young Hal Jordan during the Silver Age sections of Man of Steel.

Spectacular Member AimToTheStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    "One last thing before the light goes out"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Don't really agree with that...

Jack was always such a MINOR character. I don't remember him being interacted with at ALL post-crisis and his pre-crisis moments were few and far between. It was cool that unlike so many characters Hal was NOT an only child... but the actual character of Jack didn't really bring much to the table.

So much about the destruction of Coast City has been disregarded... I actually like SOMETHING to have stuck. I was annoyed that they brought Jim back too... but really when they talk about 7 million people being murdered.. except for Tom, carol, Hal's brothers, the other pilots, and pretty much anyone we actually had names attached to... it kind of loses all meaning.

Jack's fine dead.

DC agrees more with you over me.

Still.....

Geoff went out of his way to retcon so much of Hal's back story (and sins). I don't see Jack being a big deal.

I think some fun mileage could be squeezed from Hal being the "middle child", especially since Jack & Jim went on to function as more stable adults.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    I think an issue where Hal, John, Guy and Kyle just hand out doing whatever, no rings, no crisis, just four friends hanging out. A pool party would be cool, seeing the characters where they'd most fit in within that setting. John would probably be lifeguard or swimming laps. Hal at a barbecue (it fits the classic hero archetype of Hal), Guy on a sun lounger and Kyle chilling out in the pool imagine how he's going to make all the colors if he decides to recreate the scene later. Fun, banter, stories in a familiar setting. Maybe Guy comments on Kyle's brand from Soranik and it inspires a conversation about romantic regrets and Hal leaves early to finally talk to Carol.

That would work for me.