Page 808 of 885 FirstFirst ... 308708758798804805806807808809810811812818858 ... LastLast
Results 12,106 to 12,120 of 13267
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AimToTheStar View Post
    Grant Morrison taking over Hal's N Pals? Is I'm the only one who have bad feeling about this?
    No you are not, I am hoping this is another BC rumor with no merit and Hickman can still be the choice. Morrison is 50/50 for me, really more 40/60. Four out of the ten are good. The bad side is the six that aren't are never mediocre but utter abominations.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think one thing that I just find a little disappointing about this news is I don't think we're going to be getting the kind of character work or depth that we've been complaining about the lack of in Hal N' Pals.
    yes character depth...

but morrison on green lantern might give the franchise a boost in interest..

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I used to believe that Morrison didn't write character depth that well, but then I re-examined a lot of his works and gradually changed my mind. He writes these characters as bigger than life, as myths and archetypes, but that's where a lot of the DC's characters' depth come from, and he can write them as true to themselves (most of the time) while examining that part of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I used to believe that Morrison didn't write character depth that well, but then I re-examined a lot of his works and gradually changed my mind. He writes these characters as bigger than life, as myths and archetypes, but that's where a lot of the DC's characters' depth come from, and he can write them as true to themselves (most of the time) while examining that part of them.
    I think Morrison's characters do have depth to them, at least in some cases more then others, although I still don't think it's one of his strengths compared to other writers.

But I don't think it's the archetype in and of itself that gives the DC heroes' their depths, moreso when writers look beyond it or focus on the more human trappings of a character alongside the myth.

wishing for a barry and hal team up mini series...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

See, we need more Hal & Guy moments!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    See, we need more Hal & Barry moments!

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Sharpe would be an interesting GL artist, but Morrison on writing duties is something I'm of two minds about.

From a conceptual level, I'm sure he'd do a ton of good with the mythos, but I don't know that he'd do Hal any favors from a character perspective. I will, however, admit that Morrison did ok with him during the limited panel-time he had in Final Crisis (despite how awful I found that event overall). This is assuming he'd be taking on Hal and not Kyle.

At least with Morrison, we'd know he had a long-term plan and not just shoot out a buncha short-term arcs, and the book would likely go monthly again, which would help my wallet.

So...I guess we'll see?
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Astonishing Member

people are assuming Morrison is this "Kyle" guy when actually the pushing Kyle was a DC mandate at that time. It was just that Morrison was better at it than most. Sort of like the HEAT folks thought Marz was anti-Hal when he was just following orders, and would have been just as happy to write Hal stories as Kyle ones.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'd really like to see that Hal/Constantine team up

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

But I don't think it's the archetype in and of itself that gives the DC heroes' their depths, moreso when writers look beyond it or focus on the more human trappings of a character alongside the myth.
    I think this is a better way to put that. I think the human trappings working in tandem with the mythological elements is when the best stuff is utilized. I think ignoring the latter to focus exclusively on the human side can lead to more boring results IMO, at least for the bigger name characters.

I wonder if Morrison will use Carol?
    Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

Has Hal ever flown with John?
    Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    I'd really like to see that Hal/Constantine team up
    Especially since we usually don't see Hal bouncing off magic that much.

Has Hal ever flown with John?

Especially since we usually don't see Hal bouncing off magic that much.
    If they ever do a team-up with Constantine, I would hope that it deals with some leftover business Hal had as the Spectre - or at least acknowledge that it happened, even if Hal doesn't consciously remember most of it. (Maybe even bring back Monsieur Stigmonus)