Page 852 of 885 FirstFirst ... 352752802842848849850851852853854855856862 ... LastLast
Results 12,766 to 12,780 of 13267
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    And I think Guy's arc with being an abused kid - something Venditti's been using this whole time so it didn't come out of nowhere - is much better characterization than Guy's gotten in a long time. I don't think his Darkstar stint will tarnish him - the DStar harness obviously picked up on his deep-seeded hatred and pushed him over into an attempted murderer. He's obviously had many opportunities to kill or punish his dad before and never did it.
    That’s where I have problems with. Guy joined Darkstars without thinking twice. Then he went straight to earth to kill his father. If it’s just the armor’s effect, why did Guy accept it at the start? Besides Tomar-TU has already said they have full control of the armors now. It just makes me feel that Guy hated his father so much that he wanted to kill him but couldn’t do it, so he took the invitation of Darkstar as a chance. Because it’s reasonable for the DS to kill? I don’t know… That makes him look like a coward.
    And personally I think Tom Taylor did a better job with showing Guy enrage his father to protect his mother when he was a child in Edge of Oblivion. From that I saw Guy was a brave kid. While Venditti’s view is “Guy hates himself so much that he thinks he deserve the beat”… Maybe that is some depth of the character or 90s retrospect… I just couldn’t get it… I like how Guy confronted Sinestro in the first arc. The rest is just… weird to me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    And along those lines, Venditti can't write a female character for schitt. He's so bad, that the one female character he spent the most time on... Sora... we all assume she's been possessed or something because no female character would ever act as crazy as she did. And, if we ever find out she really was possessed or something, well that's just built in cheat for Venditti in case anyone calls him on his crappy female characterizations. Hey, she's not a bad character. She was just possessed. Doesn't count.
    One thing I wanted to say for a long time, Ursa and Lyssa were pretty much the same person under his run. They were both sexy dull evil women by the side of a Demogorgon, holding the candle to the Demogogons, loyal but dumb. And if I remember correctly, they both called the Demogorgons “my lord”.lol

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Looks like Hal will be in tomorrows Man of Steel also.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    happy fathers day!

Damn, how old was Martin before he passed?

Did he look good for his age, or was he something of a young father/husband?

If he was 35ish, then props to Momma Jordan for holding it down with three sons before she passed.

Naturally, it makes sense that Hal would conjure the most idealized version of his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    One thing I wanted to say for a long time, Ursa and Lyssa were pretty much the same person under his run. They were both sexy dull evil women by the side of a Demogorgon, holding the candle to the Demogogons, loyal but dumb. And if I remember correctly, they both called the Demogorgons “my lord”.lol
    Definitely agree with this. It's become this trope where they're around just to make the big baddie seem even more badass because he's got these trophies next to him that he gets to boss around and abuse, you know, so we as readers know he's also an asshole on top of being super powerful. It's kind of lazy writing if you ask me.

Side bar - as a kid, this kind of thing always frustrated the hell out of me. I'd wish myself into the comic just so I can smack Sinestro or Zod or whoever upside the head and say "why the hell are you screwing around with the Green Lanterns when there's a sexy woman sitting right next to you who lacks the ability to disagree with you!? You already won dude. If I was you, I'd never leave the goddamn house! Asshole."
    Save Ferris...

Incredible Member

I doubt the fill-in writer(cannot really remember his name) of GLs ever read one issue of Green Lantern comics. Hal, followed the order of the Guardians to arrest Jessica without questioning the mission? And Jessica accused him of his incompetence? That’s the most OOC writing I’ve ever seen in years including fan fictions…
    Really hope Dan Jurgens will do a better job since it seems Hal will stick around in that book for a few more issues…

^^ I'd never take seriously a writer using words like "woke" to make a classic character look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    I doubt the fill-in writer(cannot really remember his name) of GLs ever read one issue of Green Lantern comics. Hal, followed the order of the Guardians to arrest Jessica without questioning the mission? And Jessica accused him of his incompetence? That’s the most OOC writing I’ve ever seen in years including fan fictions…
    Really hope Dan Jurgens will do a better job since it seems Hal will stick around in that book for a few more issues…
    I read an article that the writer of that is someone who worked on an indie book and had just gone through DC's writing workshop or training thing.

Well that dude either doesn't like or doesn't understand Hal Jordan as a character. Either way, it's unfortunate that bad writing for this character is hardly something new.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Looks like Hal will be in tomorrows Man of Steel also.
    I wonder if I'm supposed to believe Bendis is a Hal fan now. lol As a so-called "progressive" writer, Bendis probably wouldn't pick Hal as his preferred Lantern.

Last edited by Johnny; 06-20-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I wonder if I'm supposed to believe Bendis is a Hal fan now. lol As a so-called "progressive" writer, Bendis probably wouldn't pick Hal as his preferred Lantern.
    Well, I think Bendis is a progressive writer but I don't think that has to have any bearing on who his favorite GL is.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

Bendis is also known to be fond of Jewish characters, so that keeps Hal in the running plus he said he did enjoy writing Hal a lot.

Any chance this takes place in the future after Venditti where Hal gets a bad haircut and becomes the GL of 2814 again or does Bendis just get to write anything he wants?

Any chance this takes place in the future after Venditti where Hal gets a bad haircut and becomes the GL of 2814 again or does Bendis just get to write anything he wants?
    Well... traditionally he just writes whatever he wants, but I'll hold out hope for something better at DC....

Likely the latter. Obviously the same goes for Morrison.