Page 865 of 885 FirstFirst ... 365765815855861862863864865866867868869875 ... LastLast
Results 12,961 to 12,975 of 13267
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    You're copying this off what Jayson Hodge posted on the Blog of Oa Facebook group.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    No, it's not "equal" but taking marine training plus space messiah, all I said was that his leadership abilities didn't "come out of nowhere" which was the point I was debating.
    You’re right about that.
    My point was my last sentence, there are many GLs more experienced and with more leadership qualities than him. He became the leader because Venditti wanted that. Venditti has said many times that he wanted John to be the Corps leader from the first day he took over the Green Lantern title. Also he purposely made Hal a bad leader to make John look good. So, I can’t recognize the opinion that John is more appropriate as a leader than Hal. That’s just Venditti damaging one character to promote another. He’s been doing that, and persuading readers with that kind of statement to justify his deed.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 07-10-2018 at 04:28 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    If you think that short period end up him being paralyzed counts as a successful case.
    Does the Honor Guard of Green Lantern Crops has a leader? They work flexibly.
    You said John didn't have any leadership experience prior to Vendetti. He was leader of the Darkstars. That's experience. It's irrelevant that he got paralyzed because DC editorial didn't know what to do with him until the Justice League cartoon showed them how cool he is. He was their leader, then he got military experience added on top of that.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

For me Hal as a leader only works if it's unofficial.

Like in pre crisis Hal became a "leader" not through an official announcement or appointed position but the other GLs just automatically followed him because they all respected him and considered him the greatest GL based on his actions and history. But he wasn't an official leader and that's good because I don't think that fits Hals personality at all.

Like what Venditti did in new 52. Making Hal the official leader didn't really work and felt weird for Hal to me.

But making the other GLS follow Hal out of respect and admiration making Hal the unofficial leader I think works very well.

Kinda like Superman . No one needs to proclaim him leader . Everyone wants to follow him just for who he is.

As far as John Stewart I'm still reading about him so I don't know enough to form an opinion on him yet. He has turned into a more level headed guy from a loud mouthed, rebellious attitude guy. By Engle hart's run at least.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    You're copying this off what Jayson Hodge posted on the Blog of Oa Facebook group.
    Indeed. I don't join groups on FB but I check that one out every now and then.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-10-2018 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    My point was my last sentence, there are many GLs more experienced and with more leadership qualities than him.
    "Many?" John served in the military, lead the Darkstars, presided over a patchwork world of different alien races and is a veteran GL. Who are all these GLs with more experience and leadership qualities?

As I said before, I hated how Venditti handled Hal as the leader of the GLC, but to me John was a good choice and made sense. He's definitely pumping John up with a near-Batman like ability to plan and strategize, but it doesn't seem that far afield from what we know of John, imo so I'm okay with it. Better to build up characters than tear them down.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AMAZINGTFL View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/preview-hal-jord...tern-corps-48/

Here is the previews for HJ/GLC 48. Looking good.
    Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    issue 48 looks good.

hammond just became cool in my book.

can't believe zod and orion would work well in a team. in the same team at least.

A non-GL story featuring Zod & Orion would be crazy. They might as well throw in Lobo. That's a whole lot of testosterone.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 07-10-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I think Hal knows how to lead better than most but I think he definitely prefers to do things by himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by AimToTheStar View Post
    I agree with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Hal loves showing off in front of his friends
    Quote Originally Posted by AimToTheStar View Post
    I think Hal doesn't want his friends near danger he faces.
    Hal is simple, yet complicated.

These quotes also detail why he works well as a pilot.

These qualities also show why Hal is American version of a Shōnen Jump hero, imo.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 07-10-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    You said John didn't have any leadership experience prior to Vendetti. He was leader of the Darkstars. That's experience. It's irrelevant that he got paralyzed because DC editorial didn't know what to do with him until the Justice League cartoon showed them how cool he is. He was their leader, then he got military experience added on top of that.
    DC ran out of ideals for John, Guy, & Hal during the 1990's. All three took it in the shorts, in one way or another, during that decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Hal is simple, yet complicated.

These quotes also detail why he works well as a pilot.

These qualities also show why Hal is American version of a Shōnen Jump hero, imo.
    If Hal ever makes it back to earth, should he be a test pilot again? Johns had him in the Air-Force, but outside of that, are there jobs for pilots? It'd be funny if he had to take a job flying commercial flights for awhile. Or he could test pilot for some billionaire trying to pioneer commercial space flights... air shows...? Maybe he could get into racing planes - that's a thing...

Extraordinary Member

If Hal ever makes it back to earth, should he be a test pilot again? Johns had him in the Air-Force, but outside of that, are there jobs for pilots? It'd be funny if he had to take a job flying commercial flights for awhile. Or he could test pilot for some billionaire trying to pioneer commercial space flights... air shows...? Maybe he could get into racing planes - that's a thing...
    I always thought Hal should work for Bruce.

I'm sure Wayne Enterprises has a subsidiary company in the aerospace industry on the west coast.

I always found it weird that you have these rich superheroes who don't hire teammates to work for them.

Perhaps Hal & Tom could work as mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I always thought Hal should work for Bruce.
    Maybe back when they were buddies, that might have been okay, but the Hal/Bruce dynamic the way it is now...? Might make for some awkward JLA meetings

Extraordinary Member

Maybe back when they were buddies, that might have been okay, but the Hal/Bruce dynamic the way it is now...? Might make for some awkward JLA meetings
    Which was a big blunder on the writers.

The dichotomy between Hal & Bruce should always be a philosophical one (courage/light & fear/darkness). That, and the social class differences should be the only things separating those two.

Bruce would be the one to understand Hal's frustrations with the Guardians over the years.

Hal, as a fearless and honest space cop would understand Bruce's desire to rid Gotham of crime & corruption better than most.

This relationship should be way more dynamic (no pun intended) than the 1-dimensional dumb cop/bad cop drama fans have suffered across various forms of media.

I still hope Rebirth reestablishes all the old school friendships before it is all said & done.

For me, the most entertaining toxic rivalries within the JL are Batman & Guy Gardner, and Hawkman & Green Arrow.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 07-10-2018 at 08:36 AM.

I think "ever makes it back to Earth" is the main thing honestly, because we'd need DC to leave Hal on Earth for more then three issues before we start thinking about what his day job should be again.