Page 866 of 885 FirstFirst ... 366766816856862863864865866867868869870876 ... LastLast
Results 12,976 to 12,990 of 13267

remember when hal started his own charter flight company. it was just turbo prop plane and he had carol a his partner.

i would be down if that happened again, but this time on a much larger scale. hal with his own airline, tom managing for him. he would still have time for his green lantern duties.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "Many?" John served in the military, lead the Darkstars, presided over a patchwork world of different alien races and is a veteran GL. Who are all these GLs with more experience and leadership qualities?

As I said before, I hated how Venditti handled Hal as the leader of the GLC, but to me John was a good choice and made sense. He's definitely pumping John up with a near-Batman like ability to plan and strategize, but it doesn't seem that far afield from what we know of John, imo so I'm okay with it. Better to build up characters than tear them down .
    Seriously? Kilowog was their trainer. Salaak was the high commander during the Guardians era. Iolande is a Queen.
    I agree with that “better to build up characters than tear them down”. Shame that Venditti building up a character by tearing down another. That’s what I’m talking about. I don’t understand why you didn’t quote all my words and trying to evade that.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 07-10-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    For me Hal as a leader only works if it's unofficial.

Like in pre crisis Hal became a "leader" not through an official announcement or appointed position but the other GLs just automatically followed him because they all respected him and considered him the greatest GL based on his actions and history. But he wasn't an official leader and that's good because I don't think that fits Hals personality at all.

Like what Venditti did in new 52. Making Hal the official leader didn't really work and felt weird for Hal to me.

But making the other GLS follow Hal out of respect and admiration making Hal the unofficial leader I think works very well.

Kinda like Superman . No one needs to proclaim him leader . Everyone wants to follow him just for who he is.

As far as John Stewart I'm still reading about him so I don't know enough to form an opinion on him yet. He has turned into a more level headed guy from a loud mouthed, rebellious attitude guy. By Engle hart's run at least.
    Making Hal the official leader didn't really work because the writer purposely screwed it up, so that he could let Hal give up the position and give it another character like he’s always wanted.
    I agree with the rest.
    Paul Dini once said Superman is the best leader because he doesn’t necessarily lead, alow others to come to the fore. I think that’s a perfect conclusion.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I always thought Hal should work for Bruce.

I'm sure Wayne Enterprises has a subsidiary company in the aerospace industry on the west coast.

I always found it weird that you have these rich superheroes who don't hire teammates to work for them.

Perhaps Hal & Tom could work as mechanics.
    I’m not sure Hal works in Wayne Enterprises is a good idea but I think I’ve seen once Patch Zircher posted on Twitter that Hal training Bruce how to pilot a plane could be an interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Seriously? Kilowog was their trainer. Salaak was the high commander during the Guardians era. Iolande is a Queen.
    I agree with that “better to build up characters than tear them down”. Shame that Venditti building up a character by tearing down another. That’s what I’m talking about. I don’t understand why you didn’t quote all my words and trying to evade that.
    You're so quick to dismiss John's military qualifications, I can just as easily say that Kilowog being a drill instructor doesn't mean he can be commander in chief. And Salaak was logistics- a glorified assistant. I have no idea how's Iolande was when she was queen so I'll admit ignorance on that.

And I'm not evading anything. I already spoke about Venditti's handling of Hal vs. John. His crappy job at the former doesn't negate how he's handling the latter now... not or me anyway.

But anyway, we can certainly debate this on John's thread if you want. I'd rather get back to Hal...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    You're so quick to dismiss John's military qualifications, I can just as easily say that Kilowog being a drill instructor doesn't mean he can be commander in chief. And Salaak was logistics- a glorified assistant. I have no idea how's Iolande was when she was queen so I'll admit ignorance on that.

And I'm not evading anything. I already spoke about Venditti's handling of Hal vs. John. His crappy job at the former doesn't negate how he's handling the latter now... not or me anyway.

But anyway, we can certainly debate this on John's thread if you want. I'd rather get back to Hal...
    Then we can agree to disagree. You think John is the perfect choice while I don’t.
    Venditti’s crappy job at Hal is associated with how he’s handled John. His original plan was to make Hal a bad leader, let him take the blame and go renegade, then John became the leader to hunt him down or something with the Corps. If Venditti chose to write the Green Lantern Corps book at first to build up how John could be a good leader, that was the right thing to do for a writer. But he didn’t, he was just doing sabotage to the main character of his book to promote his fav.
    I’d rather go back to Hal too. Really have no interest in him if not someone compared him with Hal.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    You said John didn't have any leadership experience prior to Vendetti. He was leader of the Darkstars. That's experience. It's irrelevant that he got paralyzed because DC editorial didn't know what to do with him until the Justice League cartoon showed them how cool he is. He was their leader, then he got military experience added on top of that.
    OK, my apologies for that “never” I said.
    But don’t you think what you said is a self-contradiction? He was the leader of Darkstars while DC didn’t know what to do with him. Obviously that was not a good idea or he would have remained that way.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 07-10-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    DC ran out of ideals for John, Guy, & Hal during the 1990's. All three took it in the shorts, in one way or another, during that decade.
    Agreed. Vuldarian Guy, and Parallax, past Hal, Spectre Hal was not a particularly smart series of creative decisions

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    OK, my apologies for that “never” I said.
    But don’t you think what you said is a self-contradiction? He was the leader of Darkstars while DC didn’t know what to do with him. Obviously that was not a good idea or he would have remained that way.
    It's not a contradiction to say that John had leadership experience, but that status quo was removed from home by editoral. They are two separate things. Besides, John's leadership ability wasn't the reason for him getting paralyzed. Despite the Controllers, John was always depicted as a strong leader, as he was to Mosaic community before that.

I am sorry, but the facts do not support your assertion that John Stewart becoming leader of the GLCorps came out of nowhere. Hell, John was even leading Englehart's Earth-based GLCorps by the end of the book.

BANNED

Agreed. Vuldarian Guy, and Parallax, past Hal, Spectre Hal was not a particularly smart series of creative decisions
    It is a perfectly rational thing to do if you are out of story ideas and want to get attention - destroy the chaaracter!

Astonishing Member

The last time Guy's Vuldarian inheritance was mentioned was when the First Lantern rifled through his past looking for a weak point. Before then, Rebirth right at the start of the Geoff Johns era.

I've been enjoying Hal's cameos in Bendis' run but I hope he stops with "The Guardians wanted me to do this, the Guardians wanted me to do that". Bendis seems to like classic by-the-book Hal Jordan better than modern-day trust-your-gut Hal Jordan.

https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xy...1292267372.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I've been enjoying Hal's cameos in Bendis' run but I hope he stops with "The Guardians wanted me to do this, the Guardians wanted me to do that". Bendis seems to like classic by-the-book Hal Jordan better than modern-day trust-your-gut Hal Jordan.

https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xy...1292267372.jpg

yeah - that doesn't seem like a Hal Jordan line. Its not like the Gaurdians either... they don't micromanage Jordan with mundane tasks. They would more likely summon him and say they perceive a possible threat and request an investigation and report. etc.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    remember when hal started his own charter flight company. it was just turbo prop plane and he had carol a his partner.

i would be down if that happened again, but this time on a much larger scale. hal with his own airline, tom managing for him. he would still have time for his green lantern duties.
    I would be cool with that. The only thing that worries me is having Carol as a partner. I fear that writers would eventually have Carol do all the heavy lifting while Hal is off saving the world, only to chew his ear out as opposed to a hero's welcome.