Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Oh, well I am not very good at reviews but lest see

[Spoiler] Magneto leaves the battle for fear of making things worse given Onslaught partially comes from him originally, he talks to Briar, a new character and an ally of him, and aks her why should he go on with his personal mission if it seems he just makes things worse for the mutants and if what he does is worth anything at all, Briar shows him pictures of his life and past deeds and an interview of a small mutant girl who thinks that maybe Magneto isnīt a good man but the mutants need someone like him to help them survive. Briar says to Magneto that is his legacy and the reason for his mission. After that Magneto goes to recruit Dr Doom, Loki, Carnage, Hobglobin, Echantress, Absorbing man, Mystique, Sabretooth, etc. to defeat the Skullīs sentinels who are programed to deal with heros powers but not villains, Magneto says that what the world needs now is villains. end [/Spoiler]

Hope this helps
    Thanks! Much appreciated.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-15-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    That's what the characters believed happened, but they could still be wrong about there being nothing of Warren left. Note that Remender also had the Apocalypse twins saying they were confident they could bring their father back.
    Something of the original Warren still being inside doesn't seem that far fetched. No more than part of Xavier still being inside Onslaught. Apocalypse is coming back soon, so having Archangel around would make sense. I'm not necessarily expecting it, but it would be nice.

Amazing Member

Remender: "I think the current iteration of Magneto sees what happened as an unforeseeable, terrible eventuality, not something that he takes a lot of personal responsibility for. He just wants to end it, I think."

Uh, has he even read Magneto #11? That's the exact opposite of what was shown in that issue.

spoilers:
    Magneto feels guilty, says it's his fault and when Briar says he couldn't have known, he dismisses her...
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    That's what the characters believed happened, but they could still be wrong about there being nothing of Warren left. Note that Remender also had the Apocalypse twins saying they were confident they could bring their father back.
    You make a valid point. I was secretly hoping the twins brought him back, it was one of the reasons I was rooting for them against the Unity Squad. I would have loved to see the interaction between Warren and his children.

Good article. I thought AXIS #2 was an improvement over the first issue. It wasn't a huge improvement, but still an improvement. More than anything else, this issue set Iron Man up to become Superior Iron Man. It exposed some of the darker, more self-centered thoughts of Tony Stark. We find out that for all the progress he made since Civil War, he's still got a dark side that he never truly abandoned. He still has this god complex that can and will overwhelm him. I think the scene when he told Wasp why they do what they do was significant in that it ended up not being enough. To beat someone like the Red Onslaught, he has to exercise some of those dark, villainous tendencies. And that's what will lead us into Superior Iron Man.

Two issues in and so far AXIS has been okay. It has the potential to be so much greater and it can definitely elevate itself in the next few issues. I think the success of this event will depend heavily on how well it ends, which is something Marvel has struggled to do with events in the past.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Yes.

Yes, he dd. Skull was practically begging him to kill him in that issue. It's pretty obvious. There's no direct textual explanation yet from the characters, but the subtext is pretty obvious. Magneto's striking down the Red Skull has made him more powerful by releasing the Red Onslaught.

It's pretty obvious what happened, even if it isn't spelled out.

Mags and some of his fans will argue 'How was he to know?!' and try to defend it, but let's remember that Mags knew Charles was potentially still in there, didn't care, knows that the psionic energies of a being like Xavier isn't necessarily extinguished on death (and didn't care) from previous experience in comics, and knows that Onslaught is a being composed of his and Xavier's darkest sides and the Red Skull is sitting there, taunting him, rather than doing /any of the other things he could do/ while Mags advances on him with a rock in hand.

Red Skull manipulates Magneto into doing exactly what he needed him to do to allow him to become Onslaught. Ahab and Kang are probably at least partially responsible for this, given we don't know exactly all of what Ahab told the Skull. Of course, a guy like Magneto is /never/ going to accept that his indulgence of rage and vengeance, /no matter how understandable those feelings are leads to greater disaster.
    I think you're seriously underestimating Magneto's honesty. In Magneto 11 he acknowledges killing Red Skull was disastrous. "As the agent of vengeance, I unleashed hell....I was blind not to anticipate something like this". He also admits that many of his choices in pursuit of his goals have led to terrible outcomes.

image.jpg

The Magneto series has been really good, and hasn't been whitewashing his past or character in the slightest. I'd really recommend it. Issue 11 is probably crucial to understanding why he acted the way he did in Axis.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 10-16-2014 at 04:01 AM.
    "Self has no time for this."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Yes.

Yes, he dd. Skull was practically begging him to kill him in that issue. It's pretty obvious. There's no direct textual explanation yet from the characters, but the subtext is pretty obvious. Magneto's striking down the Red Skull has made him more powerful by releasing the Red Onslaught.

It's pretty obvious what happened, even if it isn't spelled out.

Mags and some of his fans will argue 'How was he to know?!' and try to defend it, but let's remember that Mags knew Charles was potentially still in there, didn't care, knows that the psionic energies of a being like Xavier isn't necessarily extinguished on death (and didn't care) from previous experience in comics, and knows that Onslaught is a being composed of his and Xavier's darkest sides and the Red Skull is sitting there, taunting him, rather than doing /any of the other things he could do/ while Mags advances on him with a rock in hand.

Red Skull manipulates Magneto into doing exactly what he needed him to do to allow him to become Onslaught. Ahab and Kang are probably at least partially responsible for this, given we don't know exactly all of what Ahab told the Skull. Of course, a guy like Magneto is /never/ going to accept that his indulgence of rage and vengeance, /no matter how understandable those feelings are leads to greater disaster.
    Actually Magneto did not know about any phantom Xavier ghost. Havok tried ranting at Magneto and he shut him up. Now it's obvious Remender wants Magneto to take the hit for this getting out of control but Skull becoming Galactus size STILL DOESN'T MAKE any sense.

Magneto would never accept his choices led to greater diaster? Lol. There is no character in Marvel history that is more blunt about who he is than Magneto. Xavier and the X Men are the hiders. The Avengers are the hypocrites..M Day...Civil War...who took responsibility for those things? Comical.
    Last edited by Doomuniverse; 10-16-2014 at 04:29 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    While I agree Skull turning into Onslaught is a bit hard to understand (hell, I don't completely understand how the original Onslaught came to be), I think it's kind of obvious that Mags ended up doing EXACTLY what Skull wanted him to do.

Though Magneto's actions were understandable given the situation, I think Magneto is also smart enough to realize that Skull had his number the entire time and he fell for it. And he's gonna feel bad about that, regardless of if he lets it show or not.

Same with Stark. Skull played him too. Granted it was with mind control but still.... he ended up doing what the Skull wanted just like Magneto. And that's largely why both ended up being characters the story focused on for this portion of the story.
    Lol. Skull isn't smart enough to play Magneto or Stark like that...it was the gimmick of the storyline to get from point A to Point B.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doomuniverse View Post
    Actually Magneto did not know about any phantom Xavier ghost. Havok tried ranting at Magneto and he shut him up. Now it's obvious Remender wants Magneto to take the hit for this getting out of control but Skull becoming Galactus size STILL DOESN'T MAKE any sense.

Magneto would never accept his choices led to greater diaster? Lol. There is no character in Marvel history that is more blunt about who he is than Magneto. Xavier and the X Men are the hiders. The Avengers are the hypocrites..M Day...Civil War...who took responsibility for those things? Comical.
    Havok certainly wasn't ranting. He very clearly called out to Magneto that there was a possibility that Charles was alive.

How you can define Havok passing along that very important information (while injured) as ranting is beyond me.

Secondly, in the earlier Magneto issue, one of the released mutants explained that Charles was still contacting them. These things are on panel and are pretty clear, Magneto knew there was a possibility that Charles was alive and he still went ahead and killed the Skull. Granted, we cant entirely blame Magneto for his actions, saying he had no idea that there was some semblance of Xavier in the Skull isn't true.

This isn't an X-men vs Avengers issue, it's just what's on panel.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-16-2014 at 04:56 AM.

BANNED

Alex didn't clearly do anything. He was talking slick and back talking. He mentioned Xavier and got tossed out. There was no situation where someone said "Magneto, Xavier is alive". You think a genius like Magneto would let it end like that?

They were saying Xavier was alive in a,Magneto? What fiction and alternate universe are u reading?

Ultimate Member

Alex didn't clearly do anything. He was talking slick and back talking. He mentioned Xavier and got tossed out. There was no situation where someone said "Magneto, Xavier is alive". You think a genius like Magneto would let it end like that?

They were saying Xavier was alive in a,Magneto? What fiction and alternate universe are u reading?
    Please read Magento #9.

Then we can continue this discussion.

Lol. Skull isn't smart enough to play Magneto or Stark like that...it was the gimmick of the storyline to get from point A to Point B.
    I think you greatly underestimate the Skull here. Yeah, he's got powers now... but for a very very long time he was an A lister villain who had no powers whatsoever. He was presented as one of the most dangerous villains on the planet, and he did so purely through his whits and his cunning.

In the case of getting the better of Stark, yes it was through telepathy. But as far as playing Magneto, it was merely a case of pushing the right buttons to get him to do what Mags obviously would have wanted to do anyways. Mutant concentration camps and a threats against his daughter, and Mags was gonna dance to Skulls tune.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    In the case of getting the better of Stark, yes it was through telepathy. But as far as playing Magneto, it was merely a case of pushing the right buttons to get him to do what Mags obviously would have wanted to do anyways. Mutant concentration camps and a threats against his daughter, and Mags was gonna dance to Skulls tune.

What i don't understand is, if The Skull mentally forced Tony to build these Sentinels, why did he allow Tony to put a mental shielding device in his helmet?

Magneto's actions make more sense in the context of his own title, as it provides a somewhat plausible explanation for why he wouldn't try to enlist the help of the X-Factor team before assembling a group of villains to defeat Onslaught and his sentinels.

If he merely wanted to end it as Remender suggested, you'd think Danger (who has helped him before breaking Scott out of prison) and Warlock would be the first choice to send against an opponent whose offensive capabilities mainly stem from 1. telepathy and 2. other machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Magneto's actions make more sense in the context of his own title, as it provides a somewhat plausible explanation for why he wouldn't try to enlist the help of the X-Factor team before assembling a group of villains to defeat Onslaught and his sentinels.

If he merely wanted to end it as Remender suggested, you'd think Danger (who has helped him before breaking Scott out of prison) and Warlock would be the first choice to send against an opponent whose offensive capabilities mainly stem from 1. telepathy and 2. other machines.
    Even without reading Magneto's solo book, I think Stark actually gave Magneto justification to assemble a villain team. Stark said the Sentinals weren't programed to deal with murdering villains, so they would have a certain edge that most heroes would not.

Course, the choice of villains in some cases is pretty questionable... but the idea on paper made sense based on what Stark told him.